Page 22 of 49 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 48 49
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by CCCC
Antelope Sniper, I know nothing of your worries but, particularly if you are an atheist, it is refreshing and even invigorating to see your above statement. Interesting that an atheist would be compelled to tell a Christian, maybe with some authority in his/her voice, that the Christian has a lot to worry about.

It is refreshing and even invigorating to be reminded that I have no worries with regard to eternity and that there is nothing to be feared in this life on earth. No human mind/voice - no matter how presumptuously assertive - can affect that.

Such peaceful freedom is precious beyond explanation. One of my hopes and wishes is that many others will seek, find and experience.

What if you are wrong? (Shodd also asked the same)

Of course, there are instances wherein I have come up with a wrong answer or poor judgment. On this particular matter I have done a fulsome search, seeking understanding and answers for what - to me - are the seminal matters/issues pertaining to a human life. Along the way it has become clear that one simply cannot depend or rest upon the reasonings, calculations and proclamations of other humans on such important stuff. (If that seems odd, simply re-read this thread.)

I have sought and found, asked and received, knocked and been welcomed in. Having been told that few will find this way, my earlier expressed wish includes many loved ones and many others. You did not ask how one gains such peace and freedom nor did you seek any understanding of the quest. Your question was very limited and simply consequential - "what if you are wrong" - so my reply is similarly limited.

I do not profess to know the answer to your personal question, in part because the nature of the alternative is very broad (beyond my human scope) and in part because I have no way to know the focus or scope of your "what if ?" It might be interesting to know a person's version of such an answer, but now it is of no consequence in my case. I also think that you do not know the answer to your "what if" question.

Right or wrong, a person in my chosen circumstance will have enjoyed a large measure of peace and freedom as a human being and will have been able to live with unbounded hope and glorious expectations for eternity. That seems to be fairly good when compared with the way others appear to be living as humans, and in consideration of their eternal expectations. Color me grateful.

Now, what do you think will be my lot if I am wrong? And, what will be your lot?

So you are not going to answer the question?

Or perhaps you just did not understand, so let me rephrase the question:

What if on judgement day you learn the correct answer was "Mormons", or Catholics, and not your sect?

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 08/29/15.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by eyeball
Maybe i'll blame God tonight for christians like stalin and religious folks like isis and sinners like us and give Him a good cussin for letting any of us sinners breath.

According to your faith, they are all part of his plan.

In addition, God specifically takes credit for the creation of Evil in Isaiah:

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Gus
if a newbie signed on here, and then said they worshipped the exact same god as that tree over there worshipped, what might that mean?

anyone know for sure?

That another is as crazy as you.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What if on judgement day you learn the correct answer was...

Pascal's Wager, covers all eventualities. wink

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Shodd

The only "force" I'm using is the force of reason.

Here is something to reason on........

It would seem that any Man who is wise would intelligently reason that there is a fair amount of evidence pointing to a possibility of a God.

A wise and Just God would provide sufficient evidence to at least warrant investigation.

A wise and Just God would also provide validation apon investigation.

The possibility of our oweing our existence to a creator in light of a fair amount of evidence would at least seem to warrant investigating just out of the possibility that a good man may be entitled to show gratitude for ones life.

It would also seem fittingly Just that if one is not inclined to seek the possibility of gratitude that may be owed in light of the fact there is so much evidence!!!! Perhaps God could rightously and justly not include such ones in a Kingdom to which they have shown no interest.

Shod

[/quote]

Do you really believe I haven't investigated this?

We have evidence of Ceremonial Burial 100k years ago, organized religions 40k years ago, and priesthoods since at least the beginning of towns and cities 10k years ago.
uif
So if there is a singular god, he's had 40,000 years to get out his unified message, and bring all of humanity under his loving umbrella. If there was one god, and he had all that time, we would expect he could at least transmit his unified message to the whole of humanity.

But we don't see that. Instead we see what we would expect if religion is man made, i.e. Many regional religions, and great fragmentation and many different sects among the various religions. There's no unity, no unified message, but many local religions, many of which claim their practitioners are a chose people with special rights to kill, rape, murder, and enslave all who hold beliefs different them their own. This is what we would expect from man made, not god made religions.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by ihookem
Geez Antelope Sniper. You sure spend a lot of time trying to prove something does not exist. Why? What do you care? Deep inside you know very well God exists. If I am wrong and no life , no God after I die I loose nothing. If you are wrong and there is a hell for people that refuse to believe in Christ as a savior then you loose everything. I can't tell ya how many atheists I have come across that are so hell bent to prove they are right when there is nothing for them to gain except the self satisfaction they tried to make a person stumble in their faith. If you succeed, again , you gain nothing. I don't get the motive for your intentions.

What you are proposing is known as Pascals Wager, and it's been thoroughly debunked for 100+ years. It's actually considered on of the weakest arguments in all of apologetic and amounts to little more then a threat.

Where I am only trying to change minds with reason, you are using the threat of eternal torture.

First, the proposition in not between one god and no god, it's between all the thousands of god, and the variations within those religions, and the possibility that all those god beliefs are wrong. If the Muslims or Hindu's are right, you've still lost everything you've invested in this life into your Christian religions, and you are still going to a version of hell.

Even if we are just discussion the proposition of your god vs. no god, to say that you loose nothing is still incorrect. You could loose much from this world. How many hours have you invested in prayer? How much money have you given to your holy-man/church. How many wrong actions have you taken in this life as a result of your beliefs, and how many discoveries were lost because you believed an incorrect conclusion because of "faith". So you still have much to loose in this life due to an incorrect belief.

As for you assertion that one who is made so that he could not believe (that was the original antagonist in Pascal's Wager), do you really believe your God is so stupid that he would not know if I was just pretending to believe so I could get a free trip to heaven? Shouldn't that really piss him off? If I am wrong, I would much rather face God as a honest man who used all the reasoning capacity we posses and did not see sufficient evidence then as some huckster who was trying to lie and scam my way into heaven.

But that goes back to the OP's original question about honesty, doesn't it?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Cur is not perfect, but strives for the lost to be found, and the found to be saved, not of his own accord, but because of the spirit the Spirit has imparted in him.

I like Curdog.

He seems like a good guy.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
In the end, both atheists and Christians have the same evidence for God/gods...none. The Christian chooses to believe anyway and tries to convince you it's fact. The atheists chooses no belief and doesn't try to convince you of anything.

Who's more honest?"

I think the question was asked and answered by the OP.

First he makes an emphatic claim: ...both atheists and Christians have the same evidence for God/gods...none.

Then, after having made an emphatic/authoratative claim he says: "The atheists chooses no belief...here's the kicker...doesn't try to convince you of anything.

This he says after he makes the authoratative claim. He flatters himself in saying that he is not trying to convice you of anything. However, this can not be an honest statement because of his atheist dogma that preceeded it.

Atheist does not require evidence. A lack of evidence for a god or gods is sufficient not to accept the proposition.

On the other hand Anti-theist, those who assert "there are no gods", do have a burden of proof, and need to present it to support their positive proposition.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

But more significantly, the more I read your statements the more I realize any kind of rational give and take with you is a waste of time; at least at this point.

Good VanTillian presuppositionalism right there my Dutch brother!

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Cur is not perfect, but strives for the lost to be found, and the found to be saved, not of his own accord, but because of the spirit the Spirit has imparted in him.

I like Curdog.

He seems like a good guy.

I dunno. is he a natural curtailed dog, or did someone just cut his tail short? I guess one is like the other, but not exactly.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What if on judgement day you learn the correct answer was "Mormons", or Catholics, and not your sect?

Many people believe, and many people 'know' from their own experiences, that...regardless of anything else...one will have a better life by following the teachings of Jesus. Some people have posted on this board...and these are people that have lived a long time and have had much life experience...that their walk with Jesus was the easiest life they've ever known. Many people want their life to be better...and many people want to be better at life.

They see it as a win-win situation.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by curdog4570

"The burden of proof and need to convince lies squarely on those making supernatural propositions...proof which has not been forthcoming (obviously)."

My formal education was very limited, so maybe you can enlighten me on what you just said.

If a proposition COULD be proven, it would no longer qualify as "supernatural", would it?

Put in a more direct way...... ain't you FOS in this instance?

Curdog, let me help you out.

In a formal debate, there is a single proposition. It is the side that claims the proposition is true that must prove it. The against the proposition has no burden of proof. If the side claiming the proposition is true is not able to provide sufficient evidence to prove their proposition, that is sufficient for the against side to win.

There is a similar think in science. Some one will propose a Hypothesis, however until they've presented sufficient evidence for their hypothesis, the default position remains the "null hypothesis", or a rejection of the hypothesis until it is proven. It is not sufficient to just prove the hypothesis is possible, you must actually prove that is it true before the null hypothesis is rejected.

So now lets apply these principles to a supernatural, or a God claim. In these cases the null hypothesis, or the default position is to NOT believe the claim until sufficient evidence is provided. Again a claim that it COULD be true it not sufficient to accept the claim and reject the null hypothesis.

In addition, a supernatural or god claim is an extraordinary claim, and required evidence proportionate to the claims. Since you are making an extraordinary claim it requires extraordinary evidence, as opposed to a common claim, which would only require common evidence.

So, the Theist are the one's making the positive supernatural god claims, so lets here your extraordinary evidence.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Yep, the fact is the Jews regained their homeland.

The fact is they will not lose it again.

The fact is all nations of the world will turn against them (as we just did with the iranian nuclear deal).

The fact is they will not again lose their homeland.

The fact is, good will become evil.

The fact is He will return again.

You have a lot of assertions, very facts.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TF49
MH,

What seems to be noted by the non-believers here is that there is "no proof" of God. Then many go on to say that since there is "no proof" then God may or may not exist ... or whatever.

Jesus called us to be "witnesses" of our own experiences. I have noted that for the believer, God has indeed proved Himself to that believer. Therefore, the believer DOES have proof that God exists.

It is the unbeliever that has no proof. (Well other than creation itself but that is usually disbelieved and in my opinion disbelieved by choice)

I refer back again to where Jesus comes and lives in the believer. When that happens, there is no more need for God to prove his existence to that believer. The believer knows it for a fact.

Some who have posted here deny that one can have such an experience with God. Maybe they haven't had one and maybe they don't seek one.

Sad when someone comes to me and tells me there is no proof of God. In reality, he has no proof but I do have the proof.

TF

You say you have proof.
Great. How do we quantify it, and make it into a verifiable, repeatable experiment.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TF49
Oh, another thought. Satan is real and his demons do indeed influence and deceive many.

another thought: Could be the God created time. He may not be bound by it.

TF

According to your Theology, who created Satan?
If Satan is so Evil, why doesn't your god do anything about him. Is he unable, unwilling, or just doesn't care enough?

You have evidence that God created time?
Great, lets hear it. Until you offer sufficient evidence, the default position is that he did not create time.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by curdog4570
"If you and your religious ilk could but provide the objective proof for your assertions then, yes, it would still be supernatural. You would have proven that something exists beyond our physical world. To put it in the simplest possible terms for you to grasp..if you could prove the existence of the supernatural it would still be the supernatural. That's true whether you could prove it somehow physically or logically..but you can't."

1.I'm not a "religious" man.For many, Christianity may serve the religious impulse in all humans, just as "self worship" serves the Atheist in that regard.

At it's basis, it is a personal relationship with the Risen Christ...... not a "religion".

2. Science is bound by this physical Universe. The Creator is not bound by His Creation.... to believe otherwise is ridiculous. I see all sorts of things in this Natural World accomplished by men who act as if Einstein's [just to mention one scientist] theories are correct.

It would be arrogant and presumptuous of me to demand that the theories be dumbed down to MY level of understanding before I will accept them as true. But that is exactly what you demand of people of Faith....... to reduce the Creator of all that is to something that will fit inside your small mind.

3. "Supernatural", properly understood, is the term for events occurring within Nature that can't be explained by natural laws. The only "proof" acceptable to Science is that which CAN be explained within the confines of natural laws, so yours is a "Catch 22 proposition".

So.... instead of being "FOS".... you are a counterfeit adherent of science...... or a Phony, if you prefer.

Curdog, where do you come up with the "self worship" BS. Do you really think I sit around saying prayers to myself? If you knew very many atheist you would understand this position is absurd.

Which of Einsteins theories do you believe are not correct?

So, you are claiming that your Supernatural God acts in a manner that is undetectable in this world. In practical terms, how is that any different them him not existing AT ALL. YOUR catch 22 is that you just admitted that he exists in a manner that is no different from him not existing at all.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Gus
if a newbie signed on here, and then said they worshipped the exact same god as that tree over there worshipped, what might that mean?

anyone know for sure?

At least I know the tree in my backyard is real.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by BarryC
Putin and Hillary are great examples of living by Atheist values.

Hillary was raised Methodist. She was a member of the Senate Prayer group, and regularly attends Foundry United Methodist Church in Washington.

Vladimir Putin is a Russian Orthodox Christian.

That pair belongs to you, not the Atheist.

Antelope, none of those things make either of them a Christian.

Who are you to say what does or does not constitute a Christian. If anything your are just making my point how most Christians think that all other Christians who are not exactly like them are going to hell.

Instead of working to improve their own, once again, a Christian is just denying their own.

I'm beginning to think the "true Scotsman Fallacy" is the Christian favorite.

I'm not saying it. The Bible pretty well describes what a believer is and belonging to a denomination or church and attending does not alone make you one.

But more significantly, the more I read your statements the more I realize any kind of rational give and take with you is a waste of time; at least at this point.

A person who absolutely doesn't know what they don't know but continues pontificating is not inclined to listen or learn from anybody else.

Just because someone is not following your understanding of Christianity, does not mean they are not Christians

There are over 400 contradictions in the Bible. Some scholars count over 700. As a result, someone can have beliefs very different from yours, but still be following the Bible, just following the other side of some of these contradictions.

What amazed me is there is over 30,000 Christian sects, but you think you know the One True Christianity.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 08/29/15.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

Let's deal with your silly strawman. Lets say for a moment you really were a Police Chief. Now there's another individual who wore a police uniform for 40 years, and was the head of a police department for 20 of those 40 years. It's discovered that this Chief was corrupt. Are you now going to say, "he's not a real police Chief"? Or would it be more honest for you to admit there are issues within the Police service and work to correct them.

In some ways your semantics go back to the OP's original question about the honesty of Christians as it relates to apologetics.

I would say, "He wore a police uniform for 40 years."

"A wolf in sheep's clothing."

So you would deny he was also a chief of police.
Another Christian denying someone is what they are just because you don't like their behavior.

Bad analogies lead to faulty conclusions.

One does not "put on" Christianity like one puts on a police uniform.

Christianity works from the inside out.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antlers

Many people believe, and many people 'know' from their own experiences, that...regardless of anything else...one will have a better life by following the teachings of Jesus. Some people have posted on this board...and these are people that have lived a long time and have had much life experience...that their walk with Jesus was the easiest life they've ever known. Many people want their life to be better...and many people want to be better at life.

They see it as a win-win situation.

That's nice.

But it does not address the question of Truth.

I care what is true.

Page 22 of 49 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 48 49

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (35, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 5 invisible), 1,154 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.