Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
That house must have lept out of a badger hole right in front of that car. WTF!

How the [bleep] do you not see a 1250 lb black horse standing on a flat highway in broad day light?

Good Weed?

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimy
That house must have lept out of a badger hole right in front of that car. WTF!

How the [bleep] do you not see a 1250 lb black horse standing on a flat highway in broad day light?

Good Weed?

probably happened at night....had a car full of drunk natives smoke 2 or three of them in a group on the road 100 yards from my house when i lived outside of town.....odd thing was we never heard a thing but woke up to a hell of a blood bath in the snow the next morning.....not sure if it was air currents or what but we never heard anything on the highway in that house

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One time I came within a couple feet of hitting a black horse at night. It was tethered to a fence for weed control but the rope allowed it to reach the middle of the 1st lane. I was driving an old Jeep CJ3A and I guarantee the horse would have won. The old 6V lights weren't all that bright and I think the outside of the horse was blacker than the inside.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Damn dose guys needs new fence postesses so all does udder guys quit hittin der livestocks too!!

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

When my young brother was in college he and a friend were driving to the friend's cabin in western SD. At night. They rammed a horse on the Rosebud res with enough of a vehicle to spare their lives but it looked a bit accordion-like the next day.

They motored through the impact with enough awareness after the shock to keep going. As my friend told my brother, "you don't stop on the Rosebud at night."

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by George
"you don't stop on the Rosebud at night."

No. You don't.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

When my young brother was in college he and a friend were driving to the friend's cabin in western SD. At night. They rammed a horse on the Rosebud res with enough of a vehicle to spare their lives but it looked a bit accordion-like the next day.

They motored through the impact with enough awareness after the shock to keep going. As my friend told my brother, "you don't stop on the Rosebud at night."

True words.

Just came across there this evening.

Montana MOFO
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by George
"you don't stop on the Rosebud at night."

No. You don't.

Or most any reservation for that matter, regardless of the state....unfortunately.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Tarkio: Back in the late 60's and 70's myself and my Hunting partners used to drive on down to the far south east corner of Montana (near Alzada) to shoot a couple of Buck Mule Deer apiece!
We "used to" take the "shortest" route that took us through the Crow Indian Reservation and then immediately through the Northern Cheyenne Indian Resrvation. Sadly we were working types and had to travel that route most often on Saturday evenings -it got to be so dangerous and scary that after a few years of numerous "close call incidents" we consciously decided to take the much longer (but much safer!) route up through Miles City and then turning south through Broadus thus avoiding the dangers that were (and still are!) inherent with travelling on the roads and highways of those two adjacent reservations.
I also "braved" the elements and would travel to the Northern Cheyenne Reservation during spring and summer to Hunt Prairie Dogs thereon - I did this for years but would only drive on the rez during mid-morning and mid-day!
Sad the destruction, human misery and death that alcohol and drugs have plagued Indian folks on these two reservations I know is horrific!
I hope no one was hurt in that horse versus automobile accident (on that straight and level stretch of road???)!
I simply refuse to drive on any road on any Indian Reservation in Montana after dark - its simply a matter of self preservation.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I damn near hit a Bob Cat last night.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of all the $hit hole countries I visited while in the Marines and all the shady places I have been in my civilian life, I never felt more threatened than I did in Browning Montana, in broad daylight. Even Bethel AK wasn't that bad.

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Browntown certainly has its own "flavor" so to speak.

Last edited by Tarkio; 08/30/15.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lol most other natives dont like the Blackfoot either......here on the Fort Peck its not quite as bad atleast around Wolf Point. Though i would prolly stay out of the bars for the most part in Poplar at night doesn't bug me to be over there after dark. My sister dated a guy from Sidney in high school and whenever he caught a ride up here with his buddy, his buddy would lock the doors when they hit the rez and refuse to unlock them when until they hit my parents house and then refused to go anywhere without my sister. Guess we have a bit of a reputation here but in reality other than some of the theft and stuff like that its not bad, most the serious stuff is native on native.

Last edited by rattler; 08/30/15.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
What I find hillarouis, is that there is still a satellite dish in the back yard, there should be a tripod around some place with an old car under it, a pack of tic infested mutts roaming also.

Yeah I grew up next to a souix Rez.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
Of all the $hit hole countries I visited while in the Marines and all the shady places I have been in my civilian life, I never felt more threatened than I did in Browning Montana, in broad daylight. Even Bethel AK wasn't that bad.

It's a interesting town for sure, beautiful county with a amazing amount of misery, violence, and dispare. Pretty much every rez I've been on has been a epic chit hole.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Isn't it strange when you give people everything they need to live they all turn out the same.Doesn't matter what color they all turn into trash. ED K

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've hit a steer, a deer, and a horse - all at night.
Thankfully,I was only doing about 30 mph on a windy road when the horse jumped off the embankment in front of us! We, and the horse, survived.
Impact with a critter of any size WILL result in warped sheet metal, and outgoing $.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm gratified for this insight on the safety of traveling in the reservations. I love to just wander across the west, although I haven't had the wherewithal to get out there for years. Without really knowing anything specific, my senses always told me I probably didn't want to go poking down too many rural roads around four corners or etc. Or was I just being paranoid?

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been removed form the rez scene for 17yrs so I'm not up on anything anymore. But I do know don't stop anywhere on the rez at night I made the mistake on the crow agency but it was a well lit place LOL. On the Navajo indian rez if you get lost you are more apt to get fed Navajo tacos before you get mugged LOL. When I joined the Army holy [bleep] my accent was bad like fresh off the reservation bad. People asked me where you from I said Warm Springs, Oregon its a reservation. Now days listening to them talk cracks me up especially when they try to sound intellectual lol. My wife ex brother in law was that way [bleep] drive me nuts trying to listen to him talk. Took him better part of a day to tell a story lol...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by 79S
I've been removed form the rez scene for 17yrs so I'm not up on anything anymore. But I do know don't stop anywhere on the rez at night I made the mistake on the crow agency but it was a well lit place LOL. On the Navajo indian rez if you get lost you are more apt to get fed Navajo tacos before you get mugged LOL. When I joined the Army holy [bleep] my accent was bad like fresh off the reservation bad. People asked me where you from I said Warm Springs, Oregon its a reservation. Now days listening to them talk cracks me up especially when they try to sound intellectual lol. My wife ex brother in law was that way [bleep] drive me nuts trying to listen to him talk. Took him better part of a day to tell a story lol...

That's funny. Years ago we chartered a boat to take us down on the Alaskan Peninsula - the owner was an old native guy. I grew up in Northern MN and I swear he sounded just like an old Finlander and talked just as slow!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 6MMWASP, 17 invisible), 1,602 guests, and 950 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,919
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.