Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bushrat,

Thanks for your observations—and your experiences with unsquared case mouths match mine.

The one tool I’ve found that helps straighten bullets without screwing up neck tension is the Tru-Angle, because it bends the neck slightly, instead of just pushing the bullet around inside the neck. But even then the run-out can’t be too bad before straightening. I’ll use it to correct a couple thousandths of run-out, but not much more.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule_Deer
But even then the run-out can’t be too bad before straightening. I’ll use it to correct a couple thousandths of run-out, but not much more.

What is your personal run-out correction limit? And why do you stop there? What have you found by correcting run-out "too much"?

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The limit depends on the rifle. When I got my first of several concentricity gauges around many years ago, an RCBS Casemaster, the instructions said big game rifles rarely benefitted from bullet alignment less than .005”, and varmint rifles less than .003”. Over the next few years I found that to be basically correct, though it depends on the chamber. A custom big game rifle with a minimum SAAMI chamber can often benefit from .003” runout, or even less, but a factory big game rifle probably won’t. In my benchrest rifle I try for as close to zero runout, because it definitely benefits from as little as possible.

Aa a result of all that, for most big game rifles I don’t try to correct with the Tru-Angle that’s more than .007”. Above that and the corrected rounds still won’t shoot as well as uncorrected or minimally corrected rounds, probably because neck tension is compromised. With most varmint rifles I don’t try to correct runout more than .005”, for the same reason.

Dunno if that answered all your questions!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for taking to the time to respond. Your answer was exactly what I was looking for.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I finally had a chance to experiment a bit with the problem and the RCBS seating die I referred to in the original post. I neck-turned a few cases using my old Marquart neck turning tool which pretty much eliminates run-out on the neck O.D. and creates consistent neck thickness. I seated a few bullets with lock ring locked in place and got the same .003-004" run-out. Then I seated a few bullets but with the lock ring completely loose which resulted in just about zero additional run-out. As the bullet enters the case mouth the die flexes a bit but at least with those bullets, a Sierra boat-tail match, it made a huge difference. Perhaps it will be different by using conventional hunting bullets, but will report later. Thanks all who have shared.

IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (160user, 007FJ, 1234, 1Longbow, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,226 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,918
Posts18,479,669
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.