Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do ask... DO tell.

Please don't feed the trolls!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have worked with gay men and have a very high trust level with them. As a former scout, I'm not sure how I would feel going to camp with a openly gay scoutmaster but there seems to be much more tolerance by young people today than by their parents (people like us) so I suppose this will work out best.
I'm actually much more tolerant today than when I was younger, maybe it's age but maybe it's maturity and wisdom.
One thing I do believe is that this will either take scouting forward in a positive way or it will kill it. I hope and pray it's the former and not the latter.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've worked around a lot of homos as well and I find them to be very passive-aggressive, conniving little cockbites.

The kind of people who would spit in your food before serving it.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I personally believe most openly Gay Scout Leaders are harmless when it comes to these kids, because they know they are under a microscope.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I have worked with gay men and have a very high trust level with them. As a former scout, I'm not sure how I would feel going to camp with a openly gay scoutmaster but there seems to be much more tolerance by young people today than by their parents (people like us) so I suppose this will work out best.
I'm actually much more tolerant today than when I was younger, maybe it's age but maybe it's maturity and wisdom.
One thing I do believe is that this will either take scouting forward in a positive way or it will kill it. I hope and pray it's the former and not the latter.

I would be just as cranky if a group of teenage girls were taken camping by a bloke.

It is not just a matter of making sure nothing can happen, it must also be shown that nothing can happen.

ps, that said no man in his right mind would want to go camping with a group of teenage girls...for any reason on God's green earth.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I hope it's the latter.

If Baden Powell were alive he would be sickened.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bea175
I personally believe most openly Gay Scout Leaders are harmless when it comes to these kids, because they know they are under a microscope.

certainly parents that keep their kids in the troop are going to be hyper aware - as well as the hetero scout leaders.

"keep myself physical strong, mentally awake and morally straight"

then again, we have some scouts that are real fatasses........

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Political correctness will kill scouting long before gay scoutmasters.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Even murderers don't kill everyone they meet. It isn't a question of when they behave, it is a misplaced standard that can turn a blind eye to unacceptable behavior at the risk of innocent people...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://carm.org/statistics-homosexual-promiscuity

Homosexual men in particular are often pretty darn slutty...

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe openness is a better way forward. I'd trust a self-identified homosexual more than the Denny Hasterts and Josh Duggars out there.

Is it a good idea to give a junkie... drugs to shoot up,
A thief... an unguarded treasure trove,
A lazy SOB that wont work... welfare,

A queer... your little boy?

The answer is NO to all of these.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by KFWA

certainly parents that keep their kids in the troop are going to be hyper aware - as well as the hetero scout leaders.

"keep myself physical strong, mentally awake and morally straight"

then again, we have some scouts that are real fatasses........

And, even more Scout leaders.

I'm around quite a few youth today, granted in a highly populated and fairly liberal area, as I have a 12 and a 15 year old boy and am active in their Scout Troops and coach youth sports. Most of them could care less about sexual orientation. TBH, I'm less concerned with an openly gay Scout leader than I am about a closeted pedophile. The bottom line is that, if everyone involved is diligent about the youth protection guidelines, then no adult is ever alone with a Scout. If they're not diligent, then gay or straight, there's a problem.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I agree

As a scoutmaster, in the 5 years I have been there , there has *never* been an incident where an adult leader is alone with a scout.

All scout master conferences are held in a hallway in plain view of other adults or in a public area with picnic tables just outside our meeting room and a bay of windows looking at them, and 2 adults are always the last to leave each meeting or campout so that no scout is left alone (which sucks when parents are late).

I'm more concerned about a parent that attends an outing than I am a scout master because with roughly 12 of us in the troop, we self police very well.

I had a parent one time give me [bleep] about all the rules we had for her husband to attend a scout outing - the scouts stepdad. She told me she just wasn't going to let her son go camping with strangers which I completely understood.

And then I had to tell her that I just wasn't going to let her husband go camping with 25 other boys.

Turns out he was scum bag but a hetero non-pedophile one at least....

Last edited by KFWA; 09/03/15.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If gay scout leaders were banned, how then did the kids get molested? You mean prohibition once again didn't work?

Could it be that, no matter their sexual preference, there are good people and there are bad people in this world?

You can draw a similarity between this topic and the fabled gun free zone. Banning openly gay scout leaders does nothing to protect the kids and only serves to discriminate against gays who may otherwise be good people.

It's just a knee jerk, feel good reaction, much like the gun grabbers are prone to do.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

+1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Homosexuality does not = pedophilia.

My question is why does anyone without a son in Scouting want to be a part of it? Limit Scout leaders to those who have kids active in the troop. Should take care of 99.9% of the concerns. Gay dad with a kid in Scouts? I have no problem. He wouldn't let anybody molest his kid or any other. Might be hyper aware of who the real freaks are lurking around. Just a thought.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by justin10mm
If gay scout leaders were banned, how then did the kids get molested? You mean prohibition once again didn't work?

Could it be that, no matter their sexual preference, there are good people and there are bad people in this world?

You can draw a similarity between this topic and the fabled gun free zone. Banning openly gay scout leaders does nothing to protect the kids and only serves to discriminate against gays who may otherwise be good people.

It's just a knee jerk, feel good reaction, much like the gun grabbers are prone to do.

Well, no.

It's not just the issue of molestation. It's the issue of teaching kids right from wrong. Homosexuality is wrong and I don't want anyone portraying it as right to my kids.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hatari

My question is why does anyone without a son in Scouting want to be a part of it? Limit Scout leaders to those who have kids active in the troop. Should take care of 99.9% of the concerns. Gay dad with a kid in Scouts? I have no problem. He wouldn't let anybody molest his kid or any other. Might be hyper aware of who the real freaks are lurking around. Just a thought.

Good post.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by hatari

Good post.

Extremely good post (not that it will make any difference around here).

So, the 16 Scouts suing were all molested during the time frame when the BSA had a ban on gay Scout leaders, right? That ban didn't protect those kids. The Catholic Church has banned gay priests for eons. How well did that work to prevent sexual assault of young boys by priests?

The Baptists and fundamentalist/evangelicals are hard-line against gay pastors, right? Seems they lead the pack when it comes to sexual assault on children.

http://www.reformation.com/

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
actually my biggest concern in scouting is liability for a scout getting hurt.

I never really thought about it as a parent, but as a scout master, when 4 or 5 of us take 30 kids white water rafting, rock climbing, muzzle loading or off to camp for a week, I live in fear of one of them getting hurt and with parents today, one of them would just love to see a payday for negligence on our part.

We do require a consent form for every activity, even offsite meetings, but I'm not sure a lawyer couldn't carve that up.

Gay pedophile doesn't even register on my list of worries compared to that.

Last edited by KFWA; 09/03/15.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 55 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,042
Posts18,500,794
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.