Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1minute
Seems a perpetual frustration. Take the advertised range, divide by three, and one has reality.

Another comment if I may?

There is a reason the bubble packs radios don't perform like advertised, or like they should.
We all know what went wrong with the Citizens Band craziness. Everyone and anyone walking all over anyone and everyone's signal, the technical term is a 'cluster-fark' (or something like that).

Christmas morning would be a good example of how congested the FRS frequencies would be if all the Barbie-doll/Frozen/GI-Joe radios carried more like they could and several city blocks.
We are not talking about urban radios here.

Gray area again,
In an emergency, if there was a threat to personal property/bodily harm and the need to brake a regulation.
Those little FRS radios are intentionally manufactured inept. The stock antenna is not much more then a dummy-load. A glorified paperclip.

The formula for a 1/4 wave antenna is 234 ÷ frequency or in the case of the FRS frequencies (Cobra channel #5), 234 ÷ 462.662 = 0.5057687902 feet. Or a tad over 6" , bluntly put, anything close is far better then the stock paperclip.

Here is just an example of a bootleg'd 'Emergency Radio' :

[Linked Image]

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
bump

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hello. I have been a little remiss in my attendance to the campfire. Sorry for the delayed response.

I do have some radios that can be built into repeaters. I have not done it yet.

I'm really looking at staying within HAM bands. I might be tempted to go GMRS, but really don't want to pay $85 for a license.

I guess that I really need to get with it, and get a repeater built.

Jeff

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by K_Salonek
I believe Baofeng UV-5R and UV-82 are a fantastic way to go. Last 24 Hour Campfire Colorado g2g was on a very busy Ham Radio field day. From our location we made handheld 2-way contacts out to 35 line-of-site miles away with a portable antenna tossed up in a tree!

These radios are fantastic afield.
Drop in chargers, plenty of power for walking and riding line of sight distances and rather inexpensive.

Watch me pull using an intended ham radio afield out of a gray area by using the term 'in an emergency' any form of communication is legal.

There are a few frequencies that are slightly less of a gray area to use with a radio over a 1/2 watt and replaceable antenna Radio.

There are dozens of frequencies no one will know or mind that your using afield. Like say using marine frequencies in a land locked mountainous State.

The Baofengs will communicate with the bubble packed FRS and GMRS radios, like a boss. Again, a gray area.

Just an open challenge, if I may?
The Technician level Ham license is super easy to get. For real, there is a local 5 year old here that has his ticket!

Short study, find a test session, pass tbe test - get your license. Free Easy Ham Stury Flashcards

A Baofeng repeater seems easy enough, on the cheap: https://youtu.be/_KrH86Dzhnc

Amazon list all kinds of sources for these things. Baofeng Tech among the best for an American importer.

Amen ! Need my hunting buddies to get with it and take the test. That makes life easy, as there are LOTS of good repeaters in AZ that could be used, and simplex when needed too.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by JeremyKS
Any experience with 5 or 7 watt VHF handhelds ?

Baofeng makes an 8-watt VHF - UFH version. About $60 bucks, add about $12 for an antenna up grade (Nagoya 701) about 20" of lite gauge wire grounded to the handheld's chassis ground or antenna base for a tiger-tail (counterpoise of a diapole). And you have a handheld that will heat (safe, but very noticeably heat) your hand when you transmit.

Battery expected life is shorter, but you can transmit at lower power settings if the high-power setting is an overkill.

(Btw: I am in no way affiliated with these Chi-com wonders, they just happen to be an inexpensive fantastic product)

What model is this 8W radio?

NRA Benefactor Member

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Actually more then one model above 5 watts.
There is a new tri-bander kicking more power. The added 220mhz band of the tri-bander might prove interesting through foliage, while still following slight topography?

Talked to a guy with an 8 watt Baofeng, extra powered 5R .
As it seems looking up a number there are more now.
The AV-82HP @ 7 watts seems interesting to me.

Here is a site that might be better then my guess work.

http://baofengradio.us/ham-radios-21.html

This brings a chance to mention perhaps a better antenna then the mentioned Nagoya 701 . The Nagoya 771 seems to beat the 701 by a slight margin.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I cannot imagine using a radio whilst hunting. Though I am still lacking a rangefinder...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a new tri-bander kicking more power. The added 220mhz band of the tri-bander might prove interesting through foliage, while still following slight topography?

Talked to a guy with an 8 watt Baofeng, extra powered 5R .
As it seems looking up a number there are more now.
The AV-82HP @ 7 watts seems interesting to me.

Here is a site that might be better then my guess work.

http://baofengradio.us/ham-radios-21.html

This brings a chance to mention perhaps a better antenna then the mentioned Nagoya 701 . The Nagoya 771 seems to beat the 701 by a slight margin.

So one must have a ham radio license to operate a Baofeng?

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
There is a new tri-bander kicking more power. The added 220mhz band

So one must have a ham radio license to operate a Baofeng?

You do it you use it on HAM frequencies. They can be programmed to GMRS, FRS and MURS frequencies too.

They also receive FM radio stations for your listening pleasure.

Last edited by dennisinaz; 09/06/15.

NRA Benefactor Member

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1941USMC, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 46 invisible), 1,752 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,000
Posts18,520,403
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.