-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Aside from McMillan, Brown and possibly B&C; who manufactures an upper tier replacement stock, be it kevlar, fiberglass, etc? Not looking for wood of any type.

Thanks.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MPI Bansner and lone Wolfe are a few

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
There's Manners.

If you are open to chassis stocks, you might look into XLR.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Add Manners and HS Precision to that list

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MPI will actually work with you on something you want. They added a Weatherby cheek piece to their lightest stock for me and made sure the forend would accommodate a .925" muzzle.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why do they bother to sell factory-stocked action/barrels?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't see B&C as upper tier, I'd rather have factory tupperware.

I've used McMillan, Brown Precision, and Hi Tech Specialties in the past. Those companies as well as MPI and Manners build stocks using lamnated layers of fiberglass or kevlar cloth in the action area through the pistol grip with an outer shell of cloth on the other areas filled with foam to deaden the sound. The action is milled out just like a wood stock. It makes for a very strong, lightweight stock. Especially kevlar.

HS Precision and B&C mix chopped fiberglass (think attic insulation) with molten plastic and pour it in a mold. They use an aluminum bedding block in the bedding area and grip for strength. It makes for a strong stock if it has the metal inside, but also a heavy chunky stock. OK on a heavy varmint or target rig. Not what I'd want on a hunting rifle.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Agreed; that's why I said possibly when I referred to B&C.

I appreciate the explanation of the various manufacturing processes used by the various manufacturers.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JMR40
I don't see B&C as upper tier, I'd rather have factory tupperware.

I've used McMillan, Brown Precision, and Hi Tech Specialties in the past. Those companies as well as MPI and Manners build stocks using lamnated layers of fiberglass or kevlar cloth in the action area through the pistol grip with an outer shell of cloth on the other areas filled with foam to deaden the sound. The action is milled out just like a wood stock. It makes for a very strong, lightweight stock. Especially kevlar.

HS Precision and B&C mix chopped fiberglass (think attic insulation) with molten plastic and pour it in a mold. They use an aluminum bedding block in the bedding area and grip for strength. It makes for a strong stock if it has the metal inside, but also a heavy chunky stock. OK on a heavy varmint or target rig. Not what I'd want on a hunting rifle.

Thanks for this post. I always wondered the differences.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I am a fan of B&C, but they might not be considered upper tier...

The description given on how they are made is pretty spot on, and I just took a Model Seven Alaskan ( supposed to be a Ti clone) and gave it, a reduction...it was noticeably chubbier than a Ti in many places, so using Ti specs as a model, I reduced it...feels great now.
However in the process of doing so I saw an obvious effort to lay ( not just spray..) layers of fiberglass in the stock...at least on the long straight stretches. So they might be better than some think. Ive been shooting them for years on heavy use varmint rifles and love them. The 700 Ti clones are pretty much just that...never needed to adjust one...but that Model Seven was a chunky monkey...

FWIW

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Bedding block in the 7 Alaskan? Happen to weigh it? Considering that or cheap wood for a project.

B&C surely ain't top tier but they're priced for the frugalurly minded! I reworked a 700 LA Carbelite and had good luck using Fiberglass type Bondo and glazing putty on it. For the money, it's now a good fit, plenty stiff and not too heavy.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nothing wrong with the B&C Ti stocks - that is if you get an actual Ti take-off from a 1st Gen Ti rifle. I've probably had at least 10 Ti stocks, some where factory take-offs and some where the Stocky's/Midway Ti stocks.

They should be the same but they aren't, the factory stocks so far have all been really nice and lighter weight than the non-takeoffs.

I have an early production 7MM-08 Ti, the stock on that one has a much slimmer grip which is what most gripe about. This one also comes in at just over 23 ozs so pretty much like an Edge stock.

Most of the other "Ti" stocks I have had all weigh more like 26-28 ozs. Not sure why but guessing B&C quality control isn't that great. But if you find a good one, they are really nice like Ingwe said. No they are not a McMillan, but then they are only about $240 versus $635 +/-.

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 09/06/15.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Bedding block in the 7 Alaskan? Happen to weigh it? Considering that or cheap wood for a project.

B&C surely ain't top tier but they're priced for the frugalurly minded! I reworked a 700 LA Carbelite and had good luck using Fiberglass type Bondo and glazing putty on it. For the money, it's now a good fit, plenty stiff and not too heavy.

Yeah, it has a bedding block, and I didn't even need to skim bed it, I just bedded the lug. I never weighed it, but its not as heavy be any stretch as the factory 7 tupperware stock.
Im finding so few aftermarket stocks for the Seven that Im basically trying to make do without breaking the bank for a McMillan./

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

251 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 338Rules, 257_X_50, 31 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,863
Posts18,478,602
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.