Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Has anyone seen one or shot one?

I realize I'll get the usual "why get a piece of trash in that round?" comments from some who have never fired one, but they are interesting. wink

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=295&v=FmNgZxpIBgQ[/video]

Last edited by luv2safari; 09/06/15.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'd worry about the laminate stock. Ruger had problems, Howas have had problems when installed in Boyd's. I've read comments that .375 seems to be the threshold for splitting chunks out of your Stratabond.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks wink

I've been looking for a synthetic Marine Coat model with sights. It'll be a boat gun in SE Alaska.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I've not used one but a friend of mine did some culling with one recently. He liked it a lot (considering the price). He said it was very accurate and felt/handled much like a Winchester M70 in hand (but lighter). He also said that he did NOT care for the synthetic stock versions of the Patriot, but that the laminate with marinecoat was a nice gun. Of course, like the RAR and others, it has its "plastic" parts. For the price, I'd sure consider one. I think you can get them for just over $425, or so. (?)

Ron Spomer hunted with one for grizzly, I think. He seemed to like it fine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Buying an inexpensive gun to use in an environment that is hostile to blued steel seems like a great idea. Buy it, use it, and then clean it and sell it when you get home. With a wholesale price under $400, how can you go wrong, assuming that it works when you need it to work. That said, I don't know if I'd want to hunt dangerous game with it, but dangerous game isn't my game to begin with.

EDIT: To satisfy my curiosity, I looked up the wholesale price for the Patriot that the OP was asking about. $310, plus shipping and 3% CC fees.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 09/07/15. Reason: Added comment
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I saw one of the recent gun magazines at the news stands that had an article on the rifle written by Craig Boddington. I just thumbed through the article but it seemed to be quite positive about the rifle.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've talked with Mossberg and with about a dozen retailers before that.

They don't presently exist in 375 Ruger. I guess they made one run, but Mossy isn't producing them now, it seems.

I'll bet dollar$ to dogturds that they're having stock problems, just like with the first Ruger Hawkeyes. wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you want, I'll call a couple of wholesalers to check inventory for you when I get back from hauling my Daughter to college.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thank you. That's very nice of you. wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Most people who know me would agree that I'm a nice guy.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
whistle whistle

I'll let you know whether I agree with them after you find me the rifle.

whistle whistle

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can promise effort, but not outcome.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Bo ding ton used one

I was able to ask him some questions about it ( surprisingly he is on Facebook quite a bit and is usually very quick to reply to fans questions)

I asked him about the gun and he actually was pretty impressed with it

Spider has used and patriot in 7 mag for quite a while and a parent ly likes it pretty well

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
One thing I LOVE about this rifle, the Howa, the Savages, and now the various Ruger models is the SUCCESS of the 375 Ruger round! laugh laugh laugh

To all those blue-noses who panned it and actually got angry about its very existence, thumbing my nose at you!!

[Linked Image]

Congratulations to Ruger and to the arms makers smart enough to recognize a winner.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by BlackHunter
I saw one of the recent gun magazines at the news stands that had an article on the rifle written by Craig Boddington. I just thumbed through the article but it seemed to be quite positive about the rifle.

I wouldn't believe one lousy, glowing word from a gun mag. Mainly because I've never read anything bad about a gun in one.

I like "reviews" from people that aren't getting paid.

Technical data and stories are another thing. I usually trust the mags for those.

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
You could have that Darrick guy order you up a stainless Howa and put it in a Hogue from fleabay. Or get the full-bed model if you think you'll keep it. The Howas are drilled for sights, and Williams knows all the part numbers to fix you up. Would cost more, but pretty solid.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good idea, but would be several hundred more than the Patriot.

I wish manufacturers of heavier caliber rifles had enough sense to install good open sights on them. smirk

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
https://www.facebook.com/outdoorlife/posts/10152966272981021

Sorry, it was John Snow, shooting editor of Outdoor Life who did the grizzly hunt with the Mossberg 375. Spomer did review/use the Patriot though.

S
S
This model seams hard to find and even harder to find some one who shot one that they paid for. Was intrigued by this rifle l do not need it but to get a rifle in that power range for that price if it can hit where I aim it I want it. So if anyone has used it let me know.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have looked at a dozen of wholesalers for this rifle/cartridge combination without any success. They appear in the catalogs, but nothing in inventory for sale. I wonder if the Patriot has, design wise, proven itself to be unsuitable for this cartridge.

The Patriot and 375 Ruger combination doesn't appear in the latest catalog that I received from Zanders Sporting Goods, one of my favorite wholesalers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,498 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,191
Posts18,484,973
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.