This recipe comes from Spain and was originally a recipe for pigeons. The pigeon is larger, than but not as tender as dove. This recipe can make even the toughest pigeon delectably tender. Your dove will be a gourmet�s delight. (Remember the size difference of the two birds when using this recipe.)
<br>
<br>Clean and prepare for cooking:
<br>
<br> 6 pigeons, (I use 8-12 doves)
<br>
<br>Preheat oven to 350�F.
<br>
<br>On top of stove, melt in a skillet:
<br>
<br> 2 Tablespoons butter, (I use olive oil)
<br>
<br>In the skillet, add:
<br>
<br> 1 carrot, diced
<br> 1 onion, diced
<br> 1 celery heart, diced
<br> � crushed bay leaf
<br> 1 sprig thyme
<br> 1 Tablespoon uncooked bacon or ham
<br>
<br>Saut� very gently, until the vegetables are tender. Retain the butter/oil in pan, remove other ingredients and place them into a baking dish. Set baking dish aside.
<br>
<br>To the skillet, add the birds and saut� them until lightly browned. Remove birds and arrange in the baking dish.
<br>
<br>Into baking dish, pour:
<br>
<br> � cup Madeira or your favorite wine
<br>
<br>Cover the baking dish with foil. Pierce a dime size hole in the center of the foil to allow excess moisture to escape. (This prevents vegetables from over-cooking and becoming soggy.) Place baking dish into preheated oven, bake 15-20 minutes. Do not over-cook.
<br>
<br>While baking, deglaze the skillet with � cup liquid (water or broth), and make a pan gravy.
<br>To the gravy, add:
<br>
<br> 2 Tablespoons lemon juice, or sour cream, or brandy
<br>
<br>Traditionally, this recipe is served over croutons. I prefer other side dishes such as boiled small red potatoes with parsley & lemon.
<br>
<br>ALTERNATE: Deglaze the skillet with the wine and pour into baking dish before baking. Instead of gravy, arrange birds on plate with a garnish of sour cream and parsley sprig. The recipe can easily be decorated and served with an eye appeal to dazzle guests.
<br>
<br>PorkyPooh
<br>

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.