Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Friend Denny:

Connect the dots. We will help you contingent upon your furnishing adequate information which you have not.

Condescending, yes, but I do apologize.

Pure and simple - YOU messed up. We are not good at guessing.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 09/06/15.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was any of the brass fired in the ruger before?

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Somewhere toward the end of the last century I put together some loads (identical) for two different 7mm mags. The Ruger swallowed them fine, the Remington not so much. Spec loads per the books, but the Rem had a short throat and the bullets had to be seated another .030" deeper just to chamber.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
All of the Rugers I load for have long throats, as compared to other makes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First time I've ever had this happen to me. Bought some new 7 x 57 brass for 2 257 Roberts rifles. A Rem and a Ruger #1....the Ruger eats em up. Can't close the bolt on the Rem.

I missed the die sizing adjustment. Simple as that.

All American

All the time
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Lots of good advice already, the drama notwithstanding. I think its a good habit to shoot and hand load brass dedicated to a particular rifle. You should record headspace before and after firing. Two rifles side by side on the production line in the same chambering can be different.
Get her rifle some new brass and get back in action. Oh and make sure the chamber in her rifle is clean.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 09/06/15.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
All of the Rugers I load for have long throats, as compared to other makes.

It ain't necessarily so..........
I was given an assignment once to develop a singe load for 3 different .300 Winchesters using the 180gn Failsafe Bullet.

Finding a 3150fps load was relatively easy. Finding an OAL than chambered in all 3 rifles determined that the Ruger had the shortest, the Remington the longest and the Sako in between.

Rifles really are individuals though chambers of similar vintage where the same reamer could possibly have been used "could" display more similarities and uniformity.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by William_E_Tibbe
Originally Posted by Whelenman
I have been reloading for 25 years, but today I'm baffled. I loaded 50 rounds for my brother. Had has a 280 rem. I trimmed the brass, and make sure I didn't short stroke on the resizing. Not come the question. He and his daughter went to the range. He had his Remington, She had a Ruger. All the cartridges functioned in his gun, but not hers. He tried all fifty rounds before the went. He said he pulled the bolt out of the Ruger, and the chamber was clear. Help.

Denny

Sorry I can't help you. I don't even understand your problem. You failed to provide any helpful information.

None the less:

Lets roll up our sleeves and plunge into this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.280_Remington

#1. Are both of your rifles the same caliber?

#2. What bullets were used? Manufacturer, caliber, diameter, length, grain size, type *( lead core, copper clad, solid copper ? ).

#3. Have you ever chambered factory ammo in either gun ?

There is a tool/die/ measuring device to check the dimensions of loaded ammo. It's the Wilson Case Gauge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuJYpm-qplQ

You use this BEFORE going to the range.

Only you can decipher what you failed to do properly but mess up you definitely did.

We're here to help. If you want to continue we will be more than happy to help.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Denny:

I see lots of good input but I don't as yet see the final resolution. The inputters precipitated another aspect of measuring that needs to be focused upon - cartridge OAL and how it relates to variations in chamber, throat, leade. Here's more about the anatomy of same.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...hp....0.0.0.8091...........0.s3uIvbIh7N0

Some bullets, depending on weight/grain are too short and some too long. Bench Rester's, in particular, are very fussy about offset, alignment, distance from bullet to rifling contact. Those parameters are set with a Stony Point OAL Gauge. SP was sold to Forster. Here's their website. http://www.forsterproducts.com/store.asp?pid=24834

Many, if not most, reloaders think a bullet should be set back a short distance from the rifling and have to "jump" forward instead of being hard up against the rifling in contact.

I'll relate - again - my experience that I poster some weeks back. I was gifted a significant amount of 30-06 cases once fired, military production by a friend in a gun store. He didn't reload. I tried to run these through my Lyman, T Mag turret top press which is super powerful. The cases jammed in spite of lubrication. The press ripped off rims of stuck cases. I then improvised using my Wilson Case Gauge, in my garage using a big vise. I squeezed the cases in and they were so stuck that I had to drill and ream them out, destroying the case and scarring the Wilson Gauge inside. I threw in the towel, went back to the gun store and bought 100 new factory original unfired cases that were SAAMI spec. End of problems.

I wasn't being frivolous when I asked if your brothers daughters rifle was actually the same caliber. There are indeed some variations from caliber/case to caliber/case and many in the industry are far too sloppy and casual with using imprecise information.

Please let us know how you make out with resolution.

*( I own all of those instruments, the Wilsons for EACH caliber, two Stony Points/Fosters, dial calipers and more than one micrometer.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 09/07/15.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ho Lee [bleep]

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
I have been reloading for 25 years, but today I'm baffled. I loaded 50 rounds for my brother. Had has a 280 rem. I trimmed the brass, and make sure I didn't short stroke on the resizing. Not come the question. He and his daughter went to the range. He had his Remington, She had a Ruger. All the cartridges functioned in his gun, but not hers. He tried all fifty rounds before the went. He said he pulled the bolt out of the Ruger, and the chamber was clear. Help.

Denny

Just for clarification. Are you saying he tried all 50 rounds in both guns before he went to the range?

No just in his rifle,Remington

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by rost495
Ho Lee [bleep]

Indeed
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yes! they with both 280 Remington, not 7mm express, or 7-06.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

Denny

Just for clarification. Are you saying he tried all 50 rounds in both guns before he went to the range?

No just in his rifle,Remington

OK, is the Ruger the newer control round feed and static ejector?

Or is the Ruger one of the older models with plunger tube ejector mounted in the face of the bolt?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Friend Denny:

Connect the dots. We will help you contingent upon your furnishing adequate information which you have not.

Condescending, yes, but I do apologize.

Pure and simple - YOU messed up. We are not good at guessing.

I am more than ever convinced you're Lee24 reincarnated.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Do you own a caliper? I'd be interested in the size of the base ahead of the rim on your reloads vs factory ammo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Denny:

What say we summarize things to do to date:

Trouble shooting assumptions, so lets walk through using inductive logic.

* The reload cases used presumably came from Dads gun. Probably once fired as a minimum.

* Reloads fit Dads but not daughters.

* If they had been new, SAAMI spec, there wouldn't be a problem with the cases.

* You said you trimmed so case length is eliminated.

* Both guns are confirmed .280 Rem caliber.

* Tests to run: 1. Use a resized case. 2. De-prime. 3. Do not charge with powder. 4. Try to chamber. If it doesn't chamber then it hasn't been suitably resized. Try again or get new SAAMI spec cases. Or effective dies.

* If it chambers OK then seat a bullet. NO primer - no powder. You may have to rod it out. Measure OAL and seat enough that the bullet isn't contacting the rifling. Measure OAL with a dial caliper.

* If it will chamber empty but won't chamber with a bullet seated, check the neck OD and compare to SAAMI spec. *( That seems unlikely to be an oversized neck since Dad's rounds chamber OK ).

* As a supplementary precaution try to chamber a factory round in the daughters gun.

My gut feeling is that the Guys put their finger on the problem. Daughters chamber is tighter than Dads.

So:

* Either re-check the dies, or get replacement dies.

* Send the Daughters gun out for a reaming, dress up, chamber enlargement to Dad's chamber size spec.

In any event you will most probably need to spend a few bucks any way you cut it *( Unless you can get your resizing die to work ). My seat of the pants guesstimate is under 100 bucks.

Please let us know. I, at least, am interested in hearing the finalization. If I can help further just holler. Always happy to help out a fellow shooter. It makes the world a better place.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 09/08/15.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

I'll relate - again - my experience that I poster some weeks back. I was gifted a significant amount of 30-06 cases once fired, military production by a friend in a gun store. He didn't reload. I tried to run these through my Lyman, T Mag turret top press which is super powerful. The cases jammed in spite of lubrication. The press ripped off rims of stuck cases. I then improvised using my Wilson Case Gauge, in my garage using a big vise. I squeezed the cases in and they were so stuck that I had to drill and ream them out, destroying the case and scarring the Wilson Gauge inside. I threw in the towel, went back to the gun store and bought 100 new factory original unfired cases that were SAAMI spec. End of problems.

Do the world a favor and don't give "advice" to anyone about anything. Please.

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Lots of good advice already, the drama notwithstanding. I think its a good habit to shoot and hand load brass dedicated to a particular rifle. You should record headspace before and after firing. Two rifles side by side on the production line in the same chambering can be different.
Get her rifle some new brass and get back in action. Oh and make sure the chamber in her rifle is clean.

I agree. If you get a different brand of brass for each rifle it helps to keep them sorted. Assuming that one chamber is indeed a bit tighter than the other (which is what it sounds like) the small-base die mentioned earlier would be another option, but keeping brass sorted to the individual rifle is what I do, and then it doesn't really matter if one chamber's a bit tighter than the other.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Blue mountain ape:

Take a hike. You are not welcome here.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 09/08/15.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

456 members (117LBS, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,972
Posts18,499,375
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.