Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 700LH
If the item is used and new is available, it better be a great price, or a guy might as well buy new and have some recourse if there is a problem.

+1

Just go to the 24CF Free Classifieds and watch the prices for Rem 700 and Rem 870 12 ga. Both great guns, every man should have one. Just watch the prices go down.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I had a guy low ball me on a 51 ford truck I was selling a while back. I said no (this was on a facebook sell n swap page).

He kept after me with offers, my answer was very clear "No".

I sold it to another guy that offered full asking price.

Then the douche bag lowballer goes nuts, claims that I sold it out from under him. He goes on a ranting mission to have me removed from this sell n swap page because I "sold it out from under him".

He wasn't even close to making a deal with me and I made it perfectly clear.

Luckily, I was able to screenshot our entire txt conversation and post it to the page where he was calling for my head.

It takes all kinds... I guess.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Manipulators Dave.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
just ignore them and/or walk away. Scum deserve neither the energy or thoughtfulness of a reply.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I don't mind getting really low balled from time to time. It gives me an excuse to tell someone to go [bleep] themselves!!!!

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 09/08/15.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by deflave
I'll go $325.

Travis
LMAO...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I have this Remington 700 LSS 30-06 for sale, asking $725. I figure on $650.

This guy comes up to me and actually whispers, " I'll give you $300."

I whisper back, after staring at him a second, "Get the pluck away from me before I beat your azz."

I figure he though he might have someone down on his luck and wanted to take that opportunity to azz ream him. But, when a 265 pound 6 foot man tells you he's about to kick your azz you tend to listen, especially when you're a skinny weasely pluck.

I set a price to ask, set my low point and expect offers below that point I will refuse. This kind of offer peeves me, it just does. I know, I've talked to a bunch of people on how I should just brush it off but it really gets under my skin.

So, since these low life cork suckers will come I guess I'm just not a haggler.

There is an art and a sport to it. There are some that love it and are good at it. Me, not so much.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I have this Remington 700 LSS 30-06 for sale, asking $725. I figure on $650.

This guy comes up to me and actually whispers, " I'll give you $300."

I whisper back, after staring at him a second, "Get the pluck away from me before I beat your azz."

I figure he though he might have someone down on his luck and wanted to take that opportunity to azz ream him. But, when a 265 pound 6 foot man tells you he's about to kick your azz you tend to listen, especially when you're a skinny weasely pluck.

I set a price to ask, set my low point and expect offers below that point I will refuse. This kind of offer peeves me, it just does. I know, I've talked to a bunch of people on how I should just brush it off but it really gets under my skin.

So, since these low life cork suckers will come I guess I'm just not a haggler.

There is an art and a sport to it. There are some that love it and are good at it. Me, not so much.

John Kerry not so much either. Trump is right: I cannot imagine a worse job.

Keep in mind that the Persians have haggling bred into their DNA. They love it and they do it well. Having been an international deal lawyer for 50 years, I also recognize incompetence when I see it. mad

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I listed a rifle on a local forum recently. I received multiple IM's asking.."What's the lowest you will take"

A low ball offer doesn't bother me, but for some reason that one does. I understand people wanting to haggle over the price, but at least make an offer.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I drove an hour to show a guy a gun one time. I get there and he pulls this little scam on me about how he thought it was for a .243 for $300 (not the 70 fwt '06 I had for $600) and he had gotten the phone number in the ad from his buddy.

I was pizzed. Really pizzed.

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by gt50
I listed a rifle on a local forum recently. I received multiple IM's asking.."What's the lowest you will take"

A low ball offer doesn't bother me, but for some reason that one does. I understand people wanting to haggle over the price, but at least make an offer.

I have asked folks that very thing. I never thought much about it. To me it cuts to the chase. If the least you will take is more than I am willing to pay then were done, quick and simple imo.
You know what you have in it, I don't.
Maybe I should rethink that approach.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A fellow at a gun show had a Python on his table listed for $400 (yeah, remember those days?) I asked him what he'd take and he said, "I'd gladly take $600 for it." He said it in good humor and I thought it was kind of funny and an apt rejoinder.

I liked that line and have used variations on it several times.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave
you do realize Travis will come along any minute now and offer you $325, right?

grin

I don't know.....$325's kind of steep for Travis, or Fred, or whoever he is this week.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At 6' and 265 its likely the skinny guy would have gassed you out pretty quick. Just saying.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
I'll go $325.

Travis
Cheap azzed bastid!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by gt50

That's my pet peeve, too. If they want to make an offer, I'll start negotiating from there. If the 1st thing they ask is "What's your bottom dollar?", I simply tell them whatever price I had listed on it.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see the same guy walking the floor at the shows all the time. I don't think he's got a table, just a "walker". He makes some of the cheapest offers I've ever seen. I had a nice 870 one time and he looked it over thouroughly and offered me $50.00 for it. I've seen him do the same to others. I don't think I've ever seen him walk out with anything. Don't know if he just does this all the time hoping for one good score or what, but it's kind of weird. All the dealers seem to know him too, but they have told me he pulls the same thing with them.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my answer to those kind of offers is a very calm and firm, "No, you won't"

dickheads offer half asking price unless the price is ridiculous, which in this case it wasn't. of course this doesn't apply to gun stores who have to make a buck.

Last edited by rem141r; 09/08/15.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm not offended by low balls but I'm not going to waste much time on them.

A good response I heard when asked "what's your bottom dollar?" was "I don't bid against myself, make me an offer."

The classic haggle usually involves an offer, counter offer and a third offer in the middle. That is how most of my deals go down.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I am the same way. I don't like either end of haggling on anything. When advertising anything I figure the lowest I'll take, and put it out there as "firm".

This site has been great...no questions asked. Anywhere else there is always some dickweed that needs to have " firm price" explained to him. Pisses me off.
When buying something Im the same. I figure what fair market value I will pay-even on cars- and ask once and once only what the best price is. If it doesn't come in or under goal, I walk out. If it does, I write a check.
Its not rocket surgery.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,213
Posts18,485,459
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.