-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you don't anticipate using your rifle in snap shots or very close range the 6X leupy is hard to beat. Since my hunting sometimes requires fast shooting and close range and I value light weight, my choices would be the VX3 2.5-8 or the VX2 3-9 Ultralight with LRD. YMMV
Welcome to the fray. Oh, I mean fire.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 09/08/15.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
If you don't anticipate using your rifle in snap shots or very close range the 6X leupy is hard to beat. Since my hunting sometimes requires fast shooting and close range and I value light weight, my choices would be the VX3 2.5-8 or the VX2 3-9 Ultralight with LRD. YMMV

Just because you can't use a fixed 6 in those conditions doesn't mean that it can't be done, nor that it is particularly difficult.

David

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like your choice on the rifle, I have been eyeing one of these for a while. If/when I get one Ihave already decided the Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x is going on it. Reticle choice is up to you. I have a VX-6 CDS with the windplex reticle and really like it.

I dont think you could go wrong with the Zeiss either. Just dealer's choice. I have one of the VX-3s you are looking at and i havent had a problem with parallax at 400 yards.

Welcome to the 'fire!

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have a Meopro fixed 6X with their #4 on my Montana with talley mounts. Meopta is a good scope.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Leupold 6X42 and LR reticle.

155 Scenars are UBE. Almost make me like the .308. Almost.

[Linked Image]

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Just because you can't use a fixed 6 in those conditions doesn't mean that it can't be done, nor that it is particularly difficult.

David

Sure but why handicap yourself?

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You'd have to be handicapped to consider the 6X a handicap.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

But do all handicapped people know they are?

What if you're handicapped but don't know it and think that only the handicapped would be handicapped by a handicap such as a 6X?

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your hunting situations always allow for shots at relatively undisturbed game the 6X is not a handicap. Some of us just don't always enjoy that luxury. I abandoned a fixed 4X about 40 years ago because it was too much magnification resulting to in too small a FOV for the hunting I do.
Not everybody hunts the same and just because we hunt in different situations does not make us wrong.
Again YMMV

Jack O'Connor
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The older I get the more I like x's at my disposal. If it were mine, I'd slap a VX# 3.5-10x40 CDS on there immediately.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by TheBlueMountainApe

What if you're handicapped but don't know it and think that only the handicapped would be handicapped by a handicap such as a 6X?

The answer is 12.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If your hunting situations always allow for shots at relatively undisturbed game the 6X is not a handicap. Some of us just don't always enjoy that luxury. I abandoned a fixed 4X about 40 years ago because it was too much magnification resulting to in too small a FOV for the hunting I do.
Not everybody hunts the same and just because we hunt in different situations does not make us wrong.
Again YMMV

Ok.

Travis

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Travis

How come guys like Shoemaker and African pros don't use fixed 6X's on their DG rifles to save their asses and those of clients from getting stomped or chewed on? Are they handicapped too? Guess so....they don't have as much experience as the average 6X lover who hangs out here. wink

Never seen a bigger bunch of optics Nazis than the 6X lovers on here. grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Again YMMV

I do hunt in thick stuff. I have and do jump shoot deer at close range. I don't care what you use, if you're happier using a lower range variable feel free. Invariably, whenever someone recommends a fixed 6, you post talking about how a fixed 6 won't cut it for the hunting you do. Which leads people that have done exactly what you say can't be done to tell you you're wrong.

David

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Travis

How come guys like Shoemaker and African pros don't use fixed 6X's on their DG rifles to save their asses and those of clients from getting stomped or chewed on? Are they handicapped too? Guess so....they don't have as much experience as the average 6X lover who hangs out here. wink

I was just thinking I've never seen a bigger bunch of Nazi's than the folks like Blacktailer that feel the need to repeatedly explain how fixed 6 won't work to people that have repeatedly, successfully used them for identical situations. We aren't shooting dangerous game Bob - deer run away from you, not towards you. My life doesn't depend on me making a shot at an animal charging me at 3yds distance.

David

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Travis

Your arguments always go to hunts and situations most people will never experience.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Burris FFII 2-7 is a good one. Has the ballistic plex, turn it up to 7 for long shots. Turn it down to 2 for the mean bears or whatever BobinNH is worried about.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Travis

I was just thinking I've never seen a bigger bunch of Nazi's than the folks like Blacktailer that feel the need to repeatedly explain how fixed 6 won't work to people that have repeatedly, successfully used them for identical situations. We aren't shooting dangerous game Bob - deer run away from you, not towards you. My life doesn't depend on me making a shot at an animal charging me at 3yds distance.

David

David,
Read my original post. I stated that a 6X would work fine. I just stated that in the kind of situations in which I hunt that a fixed 6 is not ideal IN MY OPINION.
As always YMMV.
Russ

Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SLM

Travis

Your arguments always go to hunts and situations most people will never experience.

Yeah. I know.

Just making a point. For the record, I've been using them pretty continuously since the late 60's or early 70's. They work good. I have 3 mounted on rifles right now.

You couldn't run fast enough to give me one in Maine or most situations in New England. I've tried. Cant love them. In 40+ years of hunting the northeast, I have NEVER seen anyone carry a fixed 6X...except me.Maine is loaded with ordinary every day hunters. The same types I've hunted with all over the place.

So please....no lectures about the class envy stuff. I've hunted for years with people from all walks of life. You guys generalize too much.

SLM I have hunted your state many times. Other western states as well.With lots of locals, too. One uses a fixed 6X. He's one of the best trophy mule deer hunters I know. If you googled him he would pop up all over the place. Another about as good uses a fixed 4x.

Canazes, Blacktailer never said you couldn't press a 6X into service at close range. Read what he posted. He simply said he prefers something else for close work,which is some kind of a sin around here. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Travis

It's not uncommon for rhetoric to be taken too far or laid on too thick around here, is it Bob?

Would I choose a 6x for a dedicated backup rifle for DG that would be used exclusively for shots at 50 yards and under? Nope. How about a rifle that would be used exclusively for long shots on steel or game? Nope again.

A fixed 6x is a perfect example of a jack-of-all-trades and master of none. I've made some running shots on game at 30 yards and under with a 6x scope, as well as a 3-9x scope set on 9x. Is it ideal for 30 yard running shots? No, but it works well enough. I've also made some very long shots on targets and game with a 6x scope. Ideal for long-range shooting? No, but again, it works well enough. The only thing that a fixed 6x is master of, is doing everything pretty darn well, and giving reliable, durable service in the process.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,986
Posts18,499,852
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.