Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by William_E_Tibbe
Oh Yes.

In fact Wikipedia claims the .416 Ruger WILL fit a standard action *( That may need some clarification ).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.416_Ruger

My eligible Belgian FN Fabrique Nationale Mauser's are no longer manufactured. Those were actually my first rifles. Due to their history and my sentiment I decided that I wouldn't cut up my Mauser's.

But here's even more of a powerful deterrent to me.

I paid around $1,500 for my last Ruger *( Seems they changes model numbers ) .338 Winchester some 11 years ago. That was/is my moose/caribou gun.

Here's Rugers .416 Hawkeye Safari African rifle.

http://ruger.com/products/HawkeyeAfrican/models.html

$1,240 !!!!!!!!!!!!

A new rifle with also ebony forearm and muzzle brake ? Price went down in 11 years ???

Taking into account that a Commercial Mauser K98 conversion may run $1,500 as starters, add another $300 - $350 to buy one, and considering too that the price may escalate more I don't see the economics.

I'll add a quickie footnote saying that I saw a report, a few days ago, - Zimbabwe was the only African country that allowed the 9.3 for the big 5 dangerous game. Last I heard the .375 H&H class was minimum allowed elsewhere. So it looks as though the 9.3 is excluded from consideration for a full range"Safari" rifle in Africa.

Show me the SC stamped 375 Supergrade.

Yep, that'd be the right guess.

Amazing that he thinks multiple edits will cover his fraudulent ass.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Rifles

No. 1 ·
No. 3 ·
M77 ·
Gunsite Scout ·
Rotary Magazine (77/17, 77/22, 77/357, 77/44) ·
American Rifle ·
Mini-14 ·
Mini-30 ·
Mini-6.8 ·
Ruger Model 44 ·
Police Carbine ·
Deerfield Carbine ·
96 (96/22, 96/44) ·
10/17 ·
10/22 ·
SR-22 ·
SR-556 ·
SR-762 ·
AR-556 ·
XGI

Ruger mkiii bull.jpg

Submachine guns

MP9

Shotguns

Red Label ·
Gold Label

Pistols

Hawkeye ·
P85 ·
P89 ·
P90 ·
P91 ·
P93 ·
P94 ·
P944 ·
P95 ·
P97 ·
P345 ·
SR9 ·
SR9c ·
SR40 ·
SR40c ·
SR45 ·
SR22 ·
SR1911 ·
LC9 ·
LCP ·
MK I ·
MK II ·
MK III ·
22 Charger

Revolvers

Vaquero ·
Single-Six ·
Bearcat ·
Blackhawk ·
Bisley ·
GP100 ·
SP101 ·
LCR ·
Redhawk ·
Super Redhawk ·
Alaskan ·
Security-Six ·
Service-Six ·
Speed-Six ·
Old Army

Cartridges

.204 Ruger ·
.300 Ruger Compact Magnum ·
.327 Federal Magnum ·
.338 Ruger Compact Magnum ·
.375 Ruger ·
.416 Ruger ·
.480 Ruger

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RWE

Show me the SC stamped 375 Supergrade.

I knew I'd need this again some day...the Original, as posted by Lee24...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Rifles

No. 1 ·
No. 3 ·
M77 ·
Gunsite Scout ·
Rotary Magazine (77/17, 77/22, 77/357, 77/44) ·
American Rifle ·
Mini-14 ·
Mini-30 ·
Mini-6.8 ·
Ruger Model 44 ·
Police Carbine ·
Deerfield Carbine ·
96 (96/22, 96/44) ·
10/17 ·
10/22 ·
SR-22 ·
SR-556 ·
SR-762 ·
AR-556 ·
XGI

Ruger mkiii bull.jpg

Submachine guns

MP9

Shotguns

Red Label ·
Gold Label

Pistols

Hawkeye ·
P85 ·
P89 ·
P90 ·
P91 ·
P93 ·
P94 ·
P944 ·
P95 ·
P97 ·
P345 ·
SR9 ·
SR9c ·
SR40 ·
SR40c ·
SR45 ·
SR22 ·
SR1911 ·
LC9 ·
LCP ·
MK I ·
MK II ·
MK III ·
22 Charger

Revolvers

Vaquero ·
Single-Six ·
Bearcat ·
Blackhawk ·
Bisley ·
GP100 ·
SP101 ·
LCR ·
Redhawk ·
Super Redhawk ·
Alaskan ·
Security-Six ·
Service-Six ·
Speed-Six ·
Old Army

Cartridges

.204 Ruger ·
.300 Ruger Compact Magnum ·
.327 Federal Magnum ·
.338 Ruger Compact Magnum ·
.375 Ruger ·
.416 Ruger ·
.480 Ruger

Yep, no Ruger Model 70 or a Redhawk rifle......

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
And " the .416 Ruger WILL fit a standard action..."

The .416 Ruger was specifically designed to fit a standard action....don't know why he would consider this important news...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have owned a Winchester model 70 .375 H&H Magnum for 40 years. Bought it in Saigon from a departing American.

I also own a Ruger .338 Winchester Magnum, It's right here in my gun locker 3 feet from me.

When I went to Ruger's website to check the model numbers it was confusing. They seem to be using different numbers compared to previous.

And incidentally I own more than one Ruger Blackhawk revolver but no Redhawks.

"Originally Posted By William_E_Tibbe

Your Swedish Husqvarna 640 may be either a K98 or an M96. "

Nope.

Please Google Husqvarna Model 640 and report what you find.

John

I already went to the websites before I posted and I found wording stating just what I said.

Are we OK now girls?

Winchester Model 70

Ruger model 77

Redhawk revolver.

Hawkeye rifle.

I added the suffixes Safari and African too.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 09/09/15.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm posting info from others. I don't vet it for accuracy.

...I think I get it.

Man. you really ARE a screwball, aren't you.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have owned a Winchester model 70 .375 H&H Magnum for 40 years. Bought it in Saigon from a departing American.

I also own a Ruger .338 Winchester Magnum, It's right here in my gun locker 3 feet from me.

When I went to Ruger's website to check the model numbers it was confusing. They seem to be using different numbers compared to previous.

Nope.

John

I already went to the websites before I posted and I found wording stating just what I said.

You're a fraud, and not even a new one at that.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Nope.

John

Saigon, cool, you've been everywhere and I'm envious. In your travels have you ever met a man named W. Mitty?

During my career I lived overseas for 14 years in a dozen countries in South America, Africa and Asia. I travelled 70 countries.

I lived in primitive camps in the wilderness for a year at a time, in a two room skid mounted camp with bath. And a separate cook tent. I had native cooks preparing meals. Water came from drilled wells and was stored in a trailer mounted 500 gallon tank. I worked night shifts with lights that drew huge swarms of insects, some monstrous 2 inches long - that all bit. My hands were swollen from the bites.

In 14 years I never contracted any disease. Never spent a day in a hospital and never lost a day of work due to diseases.

Further I have been bitten three times by Lyme ticks and have not contracted it either. *( Not all Lyme ticks are contagious ).

I never really had a close encounter with snakes but there were some close calls alright several times. And I mean the bad ones, Green Mombas, Cobras and the little deadly ones too. Never had a confrontation with a Black Mombas

I'll have to say that I was never "up tight" fretting about catching diseases. I just took normal precautions, nothing extraordinary, and my cooks and native workers were never a problem from a sanitation point of view.

During my time on the Mt. Coffee dam project, in Monrovia Liberia, with Raymond International I personally was on site while a Liberian bull dozer operator was clearing forest. He shook a big tree and a Green Momba dropped down and bit him in the face. He died within a relative short time before medical attention was available.

One Canadian employee was bring a whole truck load of Liberian employees to the work suite when he encountered a very aggressive Cobra in the roadway. He stopped and confronted the snake with a shovel and duly dispatched it. He then brought it into camp ands stopped by my location showing me the dead snake. His Liberian passengers said: Boss you is crazy !!!!

There were absolutely electrically charged species in the river completely capable of delivering a lethal dose. Fortunately everyone was already well aware and on guard. No fatalities occurred nor any adverse injuries.

Originally Posted by WETIBBE
I spent many years in Latin America, living and travelling. Mexico, Central America and south america, including several Caribbean countries - 31 in total.

Many of the cities were ringed by the desperately poor in Barrios, shack towns made of cardboard, oil drums, dirt floors, no windows, no running water, no electricity, no sewers, corrugated tin roofs in some cases and palm fronds and grass in others. In the interiot it was even more primitive. Grass shacks on wood frames. Pigs and chickens wandering in and out of the houses while the children played in the dirt. The women frequently wore only a cloth wrapped around their waist. No shoes no "upper" *( boobs al fresco ). They washed their clothes in a muddy stream pounding them with rocks.

Many mothers were whores. Many childres were street urchins. They lived by stealing. They would go out daily, instead of to school, and pick pocket, rob, steal from everyone including tourists. It was a way of life.

The illegal border crossers, as I have long maintained, are not equipped to survive in the American economy. The day laborers earn, on average, $8,500 per year. On long Island as many as 60 have been found living in one house. There are 450 homes inhabited by illegals that have violated housing and health laws, 5 to a room, beds in the hallways, actually renting a bed for 12 hours then someone else renting the same bed, wires hanging down, holes in the walls, relieving themselves in the yards, septic tanks overflowing.

Steve Levy, Suffolk Countys exeutive, has been evicting them and fining owners $10,000. Now the ultimate degradation. The evictees are setting up tent cities adjacent to the flop houses where evicted. IT HAS HIT ! The degradation of America. The same mentality and culture that is pervasive in Latin America has hit home. They are turning America into their shyte hole.

This site has some very big mouths. I invite them to take in the destitute and feed them. The churches who are waving the illegals through should house them in churches. The Mexican Consulates who are promoting the inundation of illegals should take them into their consulates.

And the loud mouths who are screaming bigot and racist *( This is about preserving Americas quality of life not racisn ) should pack up suitcases, join the Peace Corps and hit the road south into the villages of Latin Ameria to prove their actions match their words.

Repulsive, disgusting, a travesty, the degradation of America.

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/ny-lifarm0812%2C0%2C2359148.story

Day laborers erect 'Levyville'

More Coverage
Levy disputes laborer story
Aug 9, 2005
Hempstead under fire on housing
Jul 20, 2005
Reconciled differences
Jul 20, 2005
Illegal housing to get full attention in Nassau
Jul 19, 2005
Immigrants live in squalor in illegal homes
Jul 15, 2005
In Elmont: A street divided
They �ran us out of there�
Jun 22, 2005

------------------------------------------------------------------------

BY BART JONES
STAFF WRITER

August 12, 2005

About 20 Mexican immigrants set up a "tent city" Thursday next to a Farmingville house shuttered by Brookhaven Town officials because it was overcrowded, and an activist gave them supplies for a sign calling their community "Levyville," in reference to Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy.

The tenants of 196 Berkshire Dr., most of them day laborers but including four youngsters ages 10 to 17, said they spent Wednesday night sleeping in four tents on the property or on a concrete slab next to the house.

A Latino activist, the Rev. Allan Ramirez, gave the immigrants sheets and spray paint for the "Levyville" sign. "It is the county that is responsible when there is homelessness in the community," he said.

The house was ordered shut by a court order sought by Brookhaven Town officials. According to court papers, town inspectors determined the house was home to 14 to 42 tenants on different days, and had various violations including blocked doors, exposed electrical wires and no smoke detectors. The town has moved to close seven houses containing as many as 240 tenants since late June.

A county official said Suffolk played no role in the shuttering of the house, the latest in a crackdown on illegally overcrowded housing in Brookhaven Town.

"I think the criticism is misplaced on this," said Levy spokesman Ed Dumas. "It was a 100 percent Brookhaven action without coordination with the county."

Brookhaven Councilman Jim Tullo said town officials are enforcing local housing and safety codes and said the town does not offer emergency shelter for the homeless.

"It's our charge to make sure that we can enforce our housing code to protect not only the occupants of these homes but also surrounding residents and protect the integrity and quality of life of the residents," he said. He added, "It's not the town's responsibility to provide a place for them to live."

Dumas said only legal residents are entitled to more than one night in county-financed homeless shelters, and officials are looking to nonprofit organizations, churches and community groups to help. Activists say shelters for undocumented workers are nearly nonexistent in Suffolk.

The erection of the tent city set off a media frenzy Thursday, with TV crews swarming the property as the former tenants of the house told of spending a night sleeping outside. A man who would identify himself only as Ignacio said he was the father of the four youngsters.

"I feel terrible," he said in Spanish. "I'll sleep in a tree, but my children?" He said he and his wife had been separated from two of their children, ages 10 and 15, for the past three years, and that they just arrived in Farmingville two weeks ago.

"They threw us out worse than animals," his wife, who did not want to be named, said in Spanish. "They don't have any heart. It's not human."

Thursday's scene provoked anger among some neighbors such as Michele Braun, 36. "This is disgusting. It's a mess," she said. "I think they need to leave. They're bringing down my property value."

But Angela Borruso, 29, who gave bags of food to the tenants, said, "They're human and they're just trying to make a better life for themselves."

Bill Tibbe

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Internet Ninja...

DF

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Girls:

How ya doin ?

Just checking in because I'm concerned.

Do you need any help with meds or assistance with walkers, wheel chairs or home visits ?

I'm here to help my fellows shooters.

Bill

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Internet Ninja...

DF

Oh yeah. Spot on.

Since the very first IBM desk top introduction back in the 1980 - 1984 era.

Bill

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This guy is a Lee24 look alike.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Billy boy,

Congratulations. You're the newest addition to my "list"

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
9.3X62, mine is a CZ, my husqvarnas are all 30-06's, but a 9.3 on a Husqvarna action (even if it is an FN) would combine two of my loves.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
On a 30-06 platform, the 9.3x62 is the best option for optimal fit with the least alterations, expense and headaches.

And, it's a very effective round.

For a full mag round, the best deal is a used M-70 Express. Lots of gun for the buck. Altering a std Mauser to do that costs a bunch, too much for what you end up with, IMO.

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Is it to early for popcorn?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 9.3x62 is apparently effective when placed in the right spot. (Proper placement - what a concept!) Here is one being used to stop an elephant which some consider slightly hazardous game.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by husqvarna
9.3X62, mine is a CZ, my husqvarnas are all 30-06's, but a 9.3 on a Husqvarna action (even if it is an FN) would combine two of my loves.

Husq:

I have some questions and some info.

* Can you clarify what you mean about a Husqvarna FN action ?

* Over the years lots of things have changed.

* Way back when I was young and buying Mauser's they were FN which was Fabrique Nationale - Belgium. They stopped making Mauser sporting rifles somewhere back around the 1970's. But they are still in business making apparently mostly military arms. They are said to also own Winchester Repeating Arms and Browning. See their website:

http://guns.wikia.com/wiki/FN

* From what I understand Husqvarna is Swedish. See history:

http://guns.wikia.com/wiki/FN

They chambered the 9.3x62 rifle. So if you have Husqvarna 30-06 rifles now you may want to consult with some gunsmiths to see what is actually involved and how much it costs..

The 9.3x62 is actually fire formed from the 30-06 case. That may mean that everything will fit, magazine, receiver, bolt, extractor, ejector except the chamber and barrel

The 9.3x62 case has the shoulder blown out and forward. The net gain in case capacity is 5 grains. And those 5 grains can mean a lot performance wise with the abundant powders and bullets available.

Wouldn't it be great if you lucked out and all you had to do was screw on a new barrel and go ?

Oh and by the way you can use your existing 30-06 cases, just fire form to 9.3x62. You may even be able to use any existing powders, same primers, just buy bullets and some dies. Your shell holder will even also fit since both cases have the same head.

Here's also some starter kit load data for the 93.2x62.

http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/93x62-mauser/

And some for the 30-06.

http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/30-06-springfield/

If you print these and lay side by side they will give you a good picture of which powders you have, which you may want and
buy and what performance you can expect.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 09/10/15.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by husqvarna

Last year there was a Husqvarna M246 posted for sale on an Internet site. All original and factory chambered in 9.3x62 on a FN 98 action. IIRC, only 500 were made. I called minutes after it was posted but apparently, it was pre-sold. I still lament that one getting away even though I never had a chance.

Next easiest way to get a Husqvarna in 9.3x62 was to buy a M146 in 9.3x57 and have it punched to 62mm. Got the M146 in x57 but now having 2nd thoughts on punching it to 62mm since I can easily get within 100-150 FPS of 62mm velocities.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (10gaugemag, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 34 invisible), 1,735 guests, and 1,001 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,980
Posts18,499,605
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.