Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by JGRaider
No benches out there. If the wind's blowing 15mph+ you're screwed x2.

I don't shoot off [bleep] benches.

Yeah, putting a bullet into a target the size of a basketball at 225 yards with 15mph winds is a real motherpuker.

Too funny and spot on as well!

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
NZ professional cullers used the .222 a lot because you could carry more ammo. These guys went into the scrub for weeks on end and cut the tails off for bounty records and payments.

The main target animal was red deer.

New Zealanders still use the .222 Rem on red deer....although the .223 is now rampant, and used by professional shooters.

People use them on bigger stags than a mule deer.

But these kind of threads get read in NZ by younger hunters as well, and we now have a new generation growing up who are reading American forums and believe that a .243 won't kill a deer without a perfect broadside shot at 30 metres etc and so on.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
I'm amazed. Over 50,000 members on the fire, and every single one is a perfect shot, that never misses, has never wounded a single piece of game, and doesn't need any edge, or anything that could increase their acceptable margin of error, because they are all so perfect.

I think there are a lot of folks here suffering from a confirmation bias, who are very skilled at forgetting about the times when things go less them perfect.

considering you can break shoulders with a 222/223 not sure what your after here when things go less than perfect not sure how a 30-06 is going to improve things enough to matter as you dont have to thread a bullet between ribs for a 222 to work. yeah chit goes wrong at times but its just as likely to go wrong with a bigger round and your not sitting any better.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My stepfather killed more than a truck load of whitetails with factory Remington 50g PSP in a Remington 600 Mowhawk and never had an issue. His shots were typically less than 100yds (if over not by much) and he was never in a hurry with his shots.....FWIW

PennDog

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
frankly, I don't trust the caliber to thread the needle through timber and anchor one that is close to the property line in such a way that it doesn't run onto the neighbors property.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm amazed. Over 50,000 members on the fire, and every single one is a perfect shot, that never misses, has never wounded a single piece of game, and doesn't need any edge, or anything that could increase their acceptable margin of error, because they are all so perfect.

I think there are a lot of folks here suffering from a confirmation bias, who are very skilled at forgetting about the times when things go less them perfect.

It's happened to all of us at least once....

I made a mistake using a 375 H&H with a downloaded cast bullet. Made a bad shot on a deer, tracked blood for 350-400 yards, jumped the deer, and never saw him again. The lessons I learned were:

- It's better to make a good shot than use a big gun.
- A hard cast bullet at 1500 FPS just makes a .375" hole in a deer.
- don't start tracking the deer unless you see it fall, then still wait longer before going after it.

Sometimes we have to make mistakes so we can learn from them....

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A friend took a smallish WT doe with his this year. He used factory 50gr core-lokts from when his inheritted Rem 600 was new, placed the shot through both lungs at 100' or so and the deer fell over after a short run. I was in on the post-mortem when we butchered it and found he'd hit no bone, the bullet was in fragments, and the onside lung was mush. It was pretty well what we all thought would happen with the bullet involved-fine as long as bone isn't hit,oops if it is. Since the rifle will be used again this year, a batch of ammo has been loaded up with a supply of the 45 gr TSX's I've used in my 1:12 223s for a few seasons. They've worked very reliably on a half dozen WT for Wee Cousin Casey so far, so should work just fine in the deuce.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

If it was germane to the subject, I've have mentioned it. I've lost a wolf (30/06) and a black bear (30/06).

I have no idea what that has to do with shooting deer with a 22CF.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 204guy, 66 invisible), 2,592 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,813
Posts18,477,617
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.