Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've personally had my S2 side by side with the Kowa 884 Prominar, one of the best spotters on the planet. I kept the S2, sold the 884....it's that good.

Here's what Outdoor life said about it in 2013...

http://www.petersenshunting.com/featured/bes-spotting-scopes-of-2013/

Using the 30–60X WA EP, the field 
of view was incredible with virtually undetectable color fringing. This is a damn fine scope. The image is expansive. Controls are easy to manipulate but a bit stiff when fine-tuning.

The MeoStar offers a very sharp, crisp image with a hint of warm tint. In fact, this scope posted near-perfect scores during the two 100-yard resolution tests. Edge sharpness was excellent, but missed perfection due to curvature at the very edge of the field. Normally, a wide-angle EP gives up eye relief, but not with this one. Four-eyed observers rejoice.

Color fidelity was true and even better than the more expensive Nikon EDG. The friction in the adjustment wheel is perfect, and the MeoStar offers a perfect weight balance, which translates to minimal 
image distortion when panning, focusing, or tracking moving objects.

At 46X, we observed reduced brightness, but sharpness remained excellent through 58X. It was no problem reading signage placed at one mile. In fact, it bested the Leica in this aspect of our comparison. The Meopta is an incredible optic. It’s so good some of our testers almost preferred the Meopta to the mighty Swarovski. That says a lot.

Priced at $2,200—less than Leupold’s GR—the MeoStar earns our Best Buy Award for offering an image that rivals scopes costing twice as much.

SCORE: 93
Price: $2,200

[Linked Image]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Vortex dainty knobs is for fair-weather, girly-fingered focus guys. The swaro and meostar are for the manly-handed types. Or those that wear gloves or mittens in colder weather.....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Huntz-

So you've owned and compared the Razor 85mm and the Meopta 80mm side by side?

I have a hard time believing that the Razor compares so poorly, since I've seen guys that preferred the Razor over Swaro scopes when compared side by side.

Awaiting your reply...

My reply was two posts above yours.

Last edited by Huntz; 09/13/15.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pilgs
Huntsman,
What scope would your recommend?

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can't think of a reason in the world to buy a Vortex at retail price when a used Swaro can be had for similar money.

Even when the price is right on a Vortex, the product is wrong.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Can't fathom spending alpha glass money on non-alpha glass either.

But the OP made it clear he has an UBER discount, so kudos to our Canadian friend for the input. I had no idea Vortex spotters were even worth considering.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by Pilgs
Huntsman,
What scope would your recommend?

[Linked Image]

Don,

Looks like you have twice as many as you need. Better send me one. As much as I like my Razor, I'd send it to you in return. <Grin>

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Guess I missed the 50% off deal the first time through. If the OP could pick one of these up for 8 or 9 hundred bucks, it would probably be worth the money. Even then, a few hundred more dollars could likely find a used Swaro. If budget is not the primary factor, spending a bit more for top quality is rarely a bad choice.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntz
Huntz-

I have a hard time believing that the Razor compares so poorly, since I've seen guys that preferred the Razor over Swaro scopes when compared side by side.

Awaiting your reply...

You didn't reply to me or my question...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Prairie_goat,

Have you owned a Razor spotter?

Huntsman,

Razors are for men who don't need mittens in cold weather *grin*

Dave,

Yes, they're that good. If you recall at the icebreaker shoot we were both at a couple years ago, George Gardner's crew pulled up with about $100,000 worth of rifles and optics, including a handful of 85mm Razor spotters. Pretty sure they could have brought Meoptas or Swaros if they really wanted...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty sure they could have brought Meoptas or Swaros if they really wanted...

Yeah, maybe. I would be willing to bet it was some kinda business deal, as I really can't see those guys paying full retail for chinese stuff when they are known for high end quality.....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've not owned a Razor HD, but I've spent a little time behind one. It was nice, but I sure wouldn't pay full retail for one. At the end of the day, it's still a Vortex.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Dave,

Yes, they're that good. If you recall at the icebreaker shoot we were both at a couple years ago, George Gardner's crew pulled up with about $100,000 worth of rifles and optics, including a handful of 85mm Razor spotters. Pretty sure they could have brought Meoptas or Swaros if they really wanted...

I usually only admire my own stuff and self. But I wish I had noticed them so I could have checked them out. That's one of the nicest things about that gathering is being able to try gear you don't have.

I think the first year I went I was able to look through a Leica, a Zeiss and a Swaro. It was then that I decided I couldn't tell the difference between any of them, so I just bought the best deal I could find which ended up being a Zeiss.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I've been playing with a 65 Razor for a few months and am pretty impressed. I can see a very slight difference in clarity compared to a non HD Swaro but some that have compared them with me don't see a difference at all.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've had a 65mm Razor for a couple years now. No complaints at all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Huntz-

I have owned both the Vortex Razor 85mm and the Meopta S2 82mm scope and the Meopta is a better spotter IMO. Does it blow it away in side by side comparisons? Nope. Its just a better quality spotter from front to back and top to bottom.

To the OP, If you can get a screaming deal on the Razor then get it, theres nothing wrong with it and the warranty is pretty damn amazing. It'll do anything you'll want it to do

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
LOL, I just checked the price difference on Midway for a 65mm Razor vs a 65mm Swaro.

$1199 (complete scope/eyepiece) vs $4078 (body + eyepiece).

I certainly HOPE the Swaro is a better scope.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Pretty sure they could have brought Meoptas or Swaros if they really wanted...

Yeah, maybe. I would be willing to bet it was some kinda business deal, as I really can't see those guys paying full retail for chinese stuff when they are known for high end quality.....

I can't presume to say what kind of arrangements they have, but they certainly didn't show up with a stack of Vortex gear. Their riflescopes, rangefinders, binos, etc, were of all different high-end brands and models. The only item that I noticed being exclusively of one model was their spotters...

And BTW, why do you say the Razor spotter is made in China?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I've not owned a Razor HD, but I've spent a little time behind one. It was nice, but I sure wouldn't pay full retail for one. At the end of the day, it's still a Vortex.

As you know, Vortex doesn't make anything. Kind of like Bushnell. You can get Vortex (or Bushnell) products ranging from bottom-tier stuff made in China, like the Crossfire, Sportview, etc, to products that compete with top-tier stuff, like the Razor, ERS, LRHS, etc, which are all made in Japan.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Huntz
Huntz-

Awaiting your reply...

You didn't reply to me or my question...

Get a life.All your questions were answered in my posts.You are just looking for an internet bitchfight.

Last edited by Huntz; 09/14/15.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 22magnut, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 57 invisible), 2,908 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,603
Posts18,532,643
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.