Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
So I have a Tikka CTR and it currently has an HD5 3-15 with Lock plex on it that I will be taking off to use on a different rifle, so I need a new scope for the CTR.

The Tikka is basically for me to shoot at the range and take classes and practice with, basically a trainer, but one I will shoot at 1k or maybe a bit more with at the range. Lowlight is not critical for it's uses, but I guess it would be nice in case I decide later on to use the rifle/scope for hunting or whatever.

The HD5 is great, but it's zero stop system is not so good for this, as you only get one turn, so have to remove it, and have no zero stop. That's okay for the other rifle, as it's a hunter and I can get farther on one turn then I will shoot at. But for this reason, I dont' think I'll get the 5-25 for the CTR as I planned, but will go a different route. Also, since I am buying for range use, I want more magnification. I may not use, it, but I like to have it if I am going to have to buy anyway.

I don't holdover, I prefer to dial, at least for elevation.

I am down to needing to make a final decision, I have been thinking the Vortex HST in 6-24 MOA. But I am not sure if it's clarity at higher mags and am wondering if there is something other than it and the HD5 I should be trying to look at before I buy the Viper.

Oh, price....needs to be in the 800ish range. I can't afford a Nightforce or whatever, it's just not possible and not sure I need that for this particular project.

Thanks!

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by catorres1
So I have a Tikka CTR and it currently has an HD5 3-15 with Lock plex on it that I will be taking off to use on a different rifle, so I need a new scope for the CTR.

The Tikka is basically for me to shoot at the range and take classes and practice with, basically a trainer, but one I will shoot at 1k or maybe a bit more with at the range. Lowlight is not critical for it's uses, but I guess it would be nice in case I decide later on to use the rifle/scope for hunting or whatever.

The HD5 is great, but it's zero stop system is not so good for this, as you only get one turn, so have to remove it, and have no zero stop. That's okay for the other rifle, as it's a hunter and I can get farther on one turn then I will shoot at. But for this reason, I dont' think I'll get the 5-25 for the CTR as I planned, but will go a different route. Also, since I am buying for range use, I want more magnification. I may not use, it, but I like to have it if I am going to have to buy anyway.

I don't holdover, I prefer to dial, at least for elevation.

I am down to needing to make a final decision, I have been thinking the Vortex HST in 6-24 MOA. But I am not sure if it's clarity at higher mags and am wondering if there is something other than it and the HD5 I should be trying to look at before I buy the Viper.

Oh, price....needs to be in the 800ish range. I can't afford a Nightforce or whatever, it's just not possible and not sure I need that for this particular project.

Thanks!

I took a Super Sniper 10X42 off of a rifle and replaced it with a Vortex HST 6-24

After two weeks the Vortex came off and went down the road.

The Super Sniper Fixed 10 is hard as hell to beat for repeatability and accuracy if one is spending $1000 or less. In fact I don't know of a $1000 scope that will compete with it.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks for the reply. I have heard good things about SWFA's line. I am definitely looking for a variable in the 20-25 topend range, but I'll check into SWFA's offerings in that area.

What made you pull off the HST, btw?

Last edited by catorres1; 09/22/15.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Catorres, after a few weeks of spinning dials my groups started to open up a little. I messed around for a bit with reloads thinking that was my problem and nothing. Finally I pulled the scope and put the SS back on and problem solved.

I'm not the first person to have this kind of issue with the Vortex.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 21, 808outdoors, 1Longbow, 9 invisible), 14,429 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,108
Posts18,541,926
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.