Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Me

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup.

Should be much safer as the others merely block trigger movement, not the firing pin. Obviously, camming the striker off the sear requires more effort. All I've seen also lock the bolt which is desireable IMHO.

I also prefer the Mauser safeties on the left side, especially on iron-sighted rifles as the motion of flipping them off is similar to cocking an external hammer and puts your thumb very close to the proper position around the grip.

Two position Mauser wing safeties do sacrifice the middle position that allows for unloading through the action with the trigger blocked and also make bolt disassembly a pain.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by billiam280AI
Ok, I get the controlled round feed argument. Problem is, I hate the safety on them. They are almost always loud and gritty feeling. Im sure they smooth out over time, but they sure start off gritty and noisy. Just kinda a turn off to me I guess. Anyone else like the idea of controlled round feed, but dislike the safety on them? Thanks

About the dumbest thing I've read here...

You must not read much of your own stuff.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ok, I get the controlled round feed argument. Problem is, I hate the safety on them. They are almost always loud and gritty feeling. Im sure they smooth out over time, but they sure start off gritty and noisy. Just kinda a turn off to me I guess. Anyone else like the idea of controlled round feed, but dislike the safety on them? Thanks

Nope. No issues with a M70-type safety.

Not all safeties on CRF rifles are necessarily the same anyway.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

About the dumbest thing I've read here...

You must not read much of your own stuff.

LMBO......

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never had an issue with the feel. I do think that wing safeties are easier to get flipped to "off" by the brush though.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Try finding an Interarms Mark X CRF and a two position safety.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bellydeep
I've never had an issue with the feel. I do think that wing safeties are easier to get flipped to "off" by the brush though.

Are you walking backwards ?

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Easier to take apart, but that's about it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No I much prefer the three position safety on a Winchester M70 or the like to the almost non safety of a Rem 700. After all which brand has had all the troubles and modifications through the years? Not that I mind Remington's per say but they just don't seem to get it after all their troubles.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.
Will Rogers
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm with ya, caint stand crf rifles, nor 3 stage safeties..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Prefer the BRNO ZG-47 safety.. "Pull back to cock".. just like a pistol.

Or, the orginal M98 safety.. there should be one made, where its horizontal, instead of vertical. Meaning you would have to move it completly from the right to the left.

The Mauser M03 as a "sort of style like that"..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Are you walking backwards ?

Yeah dipschit that's exactly what I'm doing.

In the future, come out west for a few hunts before you make stupid comments.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ok, . Im sure they smooth out over time, but they sure start off gritty and noisy.
It takes a lot of use before a M70 safety starts to smooth out. By that time you will be so used to it that it won't annoy you.

If game is close you can ease it off with your fingers without being detected. The gritty feeling gears don't make as much noise as the one loud snap of an old Ruger tang safety.If you have jumped something up, the M70 is a very fast safety, just jamming the thumb forward without feeling around for anything, I've grown to love them.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The winchester style three position safety doesn't really have anything to do with it being CRF, it just happens to be on a CRF rifle. You can retrofit aftermarket ones to remington M700's if you want. The benefit of the winchester style safety is it locks the firing pin, most others just lock the trigger and aren't as foolproof. I think it's kind of a moot point because they work too. The Ruger safety looks like a winchester safety but operates totally different. I have mostly M70's and like the safety okay, but I would like it better if it did away with the middle position and just had two positions, safe with the bolt locked and fire. In today's lawyer driven world you couldn't do that though because someone would pee down their leg at the thought of having to take a rifle off of safe to remove a round from the chamber. I don't want to do away with the bolt locking feature, I like it.

Truth be told I'd rather all safeties were located on the tang like and old style Ruger or an English side by side shotgun, it's the best most natural place.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
On the so called noise problem. Most of my hunting clothing zippers and snap pocket buttons make as much or more noise than a model 70 style safety. Taking the wrapper off off a snack?

Human voice will put more game on alert than the normal sounds of moving around in the wood or taking a safety off. Yet I often hear a couple hunters talking as if they are at a football game.

Deer make noise while moving around and the wood isn't an empty library.

Addition: Rem 760's are fairly popular in this area and the forend pump on some rattle while being used. Yet they seem to kill their fair share of game. Amazing.

Last edited by battue; 09/25/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
By the time a deer hears me push the safety off(the 2 pos I use on my Mausers IS a bit rougher than my Savages or my CZ, but it has never been an issue)it's a little too late for a deer to react...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A safety in any other place than the bolt shroud just seems out of place to me. It's never caused me to lose a shot. I guess it's just a matter of what you are use to.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For the most part they never hear it or just accept it as normal wood noise.

Last edited by battue; 09/25/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TBREW401
I prefer firing pin safeties over trigger safeties, regardless of the style.

This +1000. A mechanical lock on the firing pin is safer then a lock on the trigger/sear assembly, given the extra interfaces in them.

Regards,

Tom
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (375sunrise, 35, 6mmbrfan, 35WhelenNut, 673, 264mag, 16 invisible), 964 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,894
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.