Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Stories to come, but I managed to get a mountain goat and a speeder goat in the last two weeks........Not a bad September!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img:center]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/TEVANS/image.jpg1_2.jpg[/img]

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Excellent month! Congrats!

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Man O Man talk about a great hunt! cant wait to hear the stories and what you hunted with!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I think I will start referring to myself as a shooter instead of a hunter.

I'm beginning to feel like a shut-in.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I had a really cool mountain goat hunt two weeks ago. Did most of my hunting about 12,000 feet. Scouted hard this summer located a couple really nice billies. I went back first week of hunting season located them again and the fun began.

When I spotted him he was at 13,200 feet. I was below him at about 11,000 feet and hiked up a couple thousand feet just below ridge where my goat was. I finally closed to within about 500 yards and he peeled off the backside of the mountain. I then sprinted in very thin air To the top of the mountain. He dropped into a really steep couloir and was about 250 yards below where I was on the very top of the mountain. I was preparing to take a shot and I realize it was so steep to do it sitting so I had to stand and almost shoot between my feet. Let's let's just say that I have never practiced that shot. He was quartering towards me straight downhill at 250 yards. I fired and the bullet entered between his neck and his shoulder and exited out of his stomach on the offside. The Goat humped up at the shot but didn't seem to be well hit. I fired a second shot and I missed him.I shot right over his back. Nothing else needs to be said other than it was a poor shot. He was now moving towards a cliff band where I where I never could recover him if he died. I had a short window to shoot through because of the rocks in the steepness of the couloir. I settled in and let one last shot go and I hit him right in the shoulder and it was a bang flop. At this point, he started rolling downhill.my heart sank into my stomach. 10 years ago I shot another mountain goat in Colorado and it rolled 1000 feet and snapped off a horn. I was afraid this goat was going to suffer the same fate. Luckily it rolled only 100 yards and came to a rest on a flat rock. At this point I could finally relax.

Now the fun begins. I couldn't access him from above. It was just too steep and dangerous.so I had to go all the way back down to where it started and hike all the way around the base of the mountain which must've been a couple miles easily. Then when I got the backside of the mountain I could see this little white dot at the top of the couloir. That white dot was my goat. I hiked up almost 3000 vertical feet through a scree field and found my goat. Then I proceeded to skin him and quarter him. I put my stone glacier pack to work and eventually got him safely back down to the horses. Five more hours of ridding and it was done! What a kick ass hunt!!!

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sounds like an excellent Sept.

Congrats

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Very fine!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
nice

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nice poot, congratulations!! Two fine animals. That country looks familiar.

Great pics.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well done, man!!! Congrats!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Thanks!! Yes Smokepole, we live in a great State!! My 14 year old son has a smokepole tag for speeder goats and we are heading out tomorrow to chase them around. Life is good!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The real goat hunters will tell you to wait until November when their hair is long. You can also wait yourself out of a goat doing that.

I am like you and preferred the September weather and still don't think the mount looks bad. This picture shows the flowers were still in bloom...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by saddlering
Man O Man talk about a great hunt! cant wait to hear the stories and what you hunted with!

I hunted with my 300 wsm built by Karl Kampfeld. Sako 75 action, McMillan edge stock, Lila 23 inch barrel with a AAC 300tm supressor. Thing is a dream. Makes no noise and is a tack driver!! Likes 168 tsx's, 210 Berger vld's and 190 accubond long rang bullets with a full case of imr 7828 ssc.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by shrapnel

The real goat hunters will tell you to wait until November when their hair is long. You can also wait yourself out of a goat doing that.

I am like you and preferred the September weather and still don't think the mount looks bad. This picture shows the flowers were still in bloom...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice goat and sheep!!
No question the trophy is the hide on a mountain goat. I shot my last goat in the last season and the coat was awesome. The problem is the 10" billy I watched all summer 10 years ago got killed in the first season( never got a chance). I wasn't going to make that same mistake this time around. I was on him opening morning. His coat could be better but not bad for a mid September goat I think. He's not 10", but he is 9" with 5 1/4 bases. He is big, probably 270 pounds. 68" in length and 8.5" from eye to nose. I couldn't be happier. Big goat by Colorado standards.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
way to go, pooter.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Way to go! Two trophies in one month, man , what a dream!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Congrats on a fine pair of animals! Shot my CO mt goat in 1982.

Make your first shot your best shot!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That's awesome!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Heck of a deal. And a 300 wsm thats silent. Never heard one of those. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (anothergun, Amos63, 300_savage, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,696 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,829
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.