Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And some here hunt cold and still manage to kill game consistently while having to feed a round into the chamber. Think about it.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by battue
On the so called noise problem. Most of my hunting clothing zippers and snap pocket buttons make as much or more noise than a model 70 style safety. Taking the wrapper off off a snack?

Human voice will put more game on alert than the normal sounds of moving around in the wood or taking a safety off. Yet I often hear a couple hunters talking as if they are at a football game.

Deer make noise while moving around and the wood isn't an empty library.

Addition: Rem 760's are fairly popular in this area and the forend pump on some rattle while being used. Yet they seem to kill their fair share of game. Amazing.

All Valid points add car doors slamming to the list

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Originally Posted by billiam280AI
Ok, . Im sure they smooth out over time, but they sure start off gritty and noisy.
It takes a lot of use before a M70 safety starts to smooth out. By that time you will be so used to it that it won't annoy you.

If game is close you can ease it off with your fingers without being detected. The gritty feeling gears don't make as much noise as the one loud snap of an old Ruger tang safety.If you have jumped something up, the M70 is a very fast safety, just jamming the thumb forward without feeling around for anything, I've grown to love them.

The safety on my extreme weather is as slick as any safety I have used . Still makes the usual noise though.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
All would be better off by shooting quick and accurately when the opportunity presents rather than worrying about the noise a three position safety makes.

Easy fix if they think it is gritty, but unless it sticks bad it is another non issue.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
T
If a deer looks at me because of the safety...it's too late for him anyway.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by battue
On the so called noise problem. Most of my hunting clothing zippers and snap pocket buttons make as much or more noise than a model 70 style safety. Taking the wrapper off off a snack?

Human voice will put more game on alert than the normal sounds of moving around in the wood or taking a safety off. Yet I often hear a couple hunters talking as if they are at a football game.

Deer make noise while moving around and the wood isn't an empty library.

Addition: Rem 760's are fairly popular in this area and the forend pump on some rattle while being used. Yet they seem to kill their fair share of game. Amazing.

This pretty well nails it!

I have, on occasion 'eased' the safety off my Win M70...not sure if I had to or not, but it was easy to do and ended up in Bambi steaks...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
All Valid points add car doors slamming to the list

I've laughed at my buddy before about this very thing. He's usually on top of things but one morning, we get out of the vehicle, gather gear very quietly and make ready to get to our stands........and he slams his door.

He knows he has messed up, winces and says "sorry" very quietly.

Locks his door.

"HONK".

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I realize the safety style is mostly a simple issue of personal preference, but still I'm a fan of the Mod.70 style. Always have been and likely always will be.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
I have, on occasion 'eased' the safety off my Win M70...not sure if I had to or not, but it was easy to do and ended up in Bambi steaks...

Plus, it sounds much better in print.

It's easier to feel how snug a re-sized case is in your chamber with a 3-position safety in the middle position.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
One thing I dislike about my Nula's is the safety. They are a short quick push and slick to the fire position and have been knocked off. Good thing is the lugs are tight with a firm grip on the bolt rise and drop and will hold it. When walking I've come to the point of having the bolt held half way up with the safety on.

See game, drop the bolt and take the safety off. It's "almost" second nature, but not quite there yet.

Last edited by battue; 09/26/15.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The safety on the M77 Hawkeye I bought in 2010 was so stiff that I would sit in front of the TV and flip it on and off to try to get it to loosen up. It never did and I bet I flipped it at least 1000 times.

Also, that safety lever was a casting, and either the top or outside of it (I forget which) had come out of the mold rough and no one bothered to grind it smooth to make it look like it had come from a modern, professional, rifle company. No more Rugers for me.

Anyway, I prefer a tang safety.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Had a couple gals I didn't work well with. Didn't give up on all of them. Just checked the next one out a little more closely.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tzone
If a deer looks at me because of the safety...it's too late for him anyway.

Yeah... I hear about these "problems" but honestly have never bumped into them with M70 and other safeties,despite having killed deer and black bear at distances better measured in feet than yards.

A lot of M70 safeties will make virtually no sound at all if you guide them forward with your thumb.Some make a tiny "click". In any event it has never cost me a shot.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by jwall
I've never had an issue with the feel. I do think that wing safeties are easier to get flipped to "off" by the brush though.

Are you walking backwards ?

Yeah dipschit that's exactly what I'm doing.
In the future, come out west for a few hunts before you make stupid comments.

Why don't you come DOWN SOUTH and hunt in the Piney thickets?
Thickets are thickets..Safety's go off in FORWARD direction.

BTW - I didn't call you any name !

I didn't have to, your post says it all.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by jwall
I've never had an issue with the feel. I do think that wing safeties are easier to get flipped to "off" by the brush though.

Are you walking backwards ?

My first actual big game rifle was a Win 670 in '06. I replaced it for hunting with a tang safety rifle specifically for this reason.

On my first hunt with that rifle, on hands and knees, or belly crawling through the brush, I repeatedly found the safety disengaged. A couple of times the bolt even managed to get lifted.

I was pretty young, with a lot more energy than smarts in those days. But I was bright enough to pull the round from the chamber when I found the safety off. And I have never carried a hot rifle in the field since. Not even the #1.

Having to pull a round out of my pocket and chamber it has not cost me any meat. I don't see the problem with a "noisy safety".

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I S. -

Wow, never came even close to that situation.

What can I say ? I've hunted thickets I had to crawl thru for a ways, wiggled and waggled thru briar thickets you could not just walk thru, stalked thru young pine plantations where you could not see nor shoot 20 yds, etc. still never had any safety pushed/pulled to off position because of brush or thickets.

ONCE I accidentally and unknowingly pushed a R 77 tang safety off by the web of my own hand, in OPEN hardwoods. That was MY fault.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
3-position safeties have never bothered me, nor the deer.

Life just isn't that difficult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can honestly say, "I couldn't care less" as to how a safety works. Don't think I have ever hunted with one.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've used Model 70 3-position safeties for years (on both CRF and push feed Winchesters) and I have never had a single problem with them coming off safe (even while hunting in very rough country) or being noisy to get them to fire position when I wanted them there.

One thing I did pick up on quickly with my first Model 70 when I was about 15 years old was that carrying a rifle loaded with the safety in the middle position was probably not a bright thing to do so I never carried one that way. As a result, the rifles have always been field carried on safety with the lever fully to the left to lock the firing pin and the bolt. Carrying the rifle that way has the safety lever laying parallel to the bolt shroud as opposed to it sticking out in the middle position which is designed primarily to allow for the cycling of cartridges with the safety still engaged. For doing that I've never crawled through thick brush to make the task more difficult, so maybe I'm missing something here. Presto! No surprises in the field ever.

I once did have a chunk of blue sky unexpectedly fall on my head (it left a mark for days laugh ) just as I was about to cycle the safety, but I don't think that was because I did anything dumb with a rifle safety that can be moved quickly and quietly from full safety through the middle safety position to the fire position in the time it takes to blink an eye. laugh Even on a push feed Model 70. laugh laugh

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by moosemike
I don't like the Ruger wing safeties but I really like the Winchester wing safeties.

I agree. I am surprised noone is making an easier to use lever for them or doing a mod. I am getting better with the one I have. It is on a Hawkeye UL .223 and gets more use than some other rifles.

Gentry's safety was a great improvement to my .35 Whelen as well.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

248 members (10Glocks, 2ndwind, 69sportfury, 673, 1badf350, 29aholic, 40 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,976
Posts18,519,847
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.