Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Dear Guys,

I need some advice regarding an old Winchester 94, in .38-55, with the 24 inch round barrel, full length magazine, and nosecap. The rifle was made in 1902. The wood on it is extremely good, zero cracks, not refinished, minor handling marks. My dad bought it a few years ago and stupidly WAY over paid for it. (Gulp, $1,350).

The metal is only about 60 percent, with a nice patina. Well worn, no bad rust or pitting. except for three blood rust fingerprints on the side of the receiver, and these are unsightly.

The action is very tight and the mechanics are positive.

The biggest problem is: the barrel is worn out. Shallow rifling, erosion throughout, maybe a 6 or 7 at best.

So, this rifle is neither fish nor fowl. Unlike an early Model 73, where shot- out bores are not viewed as unusual, a bad bore on a 94 is a really bad thing. It makes this rifle neither a shooter, nor a desirable collectible.

I originally thought, no problem. I'll just get the barrel relined in .30-30 or 38-55 and make it a nice old shooter. BUT, I think my research shows that nobody will reline an old .38-55 barrel to any common caliber. There just isn't enough metal left to be safe.

So what to do? Have him dump it at a low price? If so, what price?

Buy a new replacement barrel for $275, and then spend another $100 on top of that to have it installed? And, if it is a .30-30 barrel, I have to look for new cartridge guides as well?

What a mess. Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Mannyrock

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Erosion? Do you mean heavy pitting or just worn and shallow rifling? Have you shot it? If it shoots "minute of deer" I'd leave it alone. Replacing the barrel will cut the value even more. You may be surprised what it will bring even with a worn bore.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
shoot it before you change anything ,you may be suprised I had one with a bad bore but it shot 2 to 3 in at 100 yds, good enough for deer. Use jacketed bullets as leaded ones will lead it up.

If you keep it as is someday it will be worth what your Dad paid for it. or sell it at auction old Winchesters bring a high price at auction.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"maybe a 6 or 7 at best"

I've seen barrels that you'd have to be lying to rate them a 4, yet they shot adequately for the job at hand, "minute of deer" as mentioned above. Shoot it. You could be surprised. And vintage '94's bring decent prices on the auctions. This might be one you'd want to start at $.01 without a reserve and let the bidders duke it out. Good luck.
yooper

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If you decide to sell or trade off the rifle and have any brass or ammo available I'd be interested. I have a M94 with a full octagon barrel. It's a fun rifle I would however shoot your Dads gun before you pass judgement.

IC B2

P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I would agree with what the others have said, soot it before you do anything. I had a second year production 94 in 38-55 that had very shallow rifling on and I didn't figure would shoot. Eventually tried some Barnes original bullets in .377 diameter and wouldn't you know, that rifle ended up shooting "lights out". I don't believe I ever killed a critter with it, but a whole bunch of paper and rocks died with that old rifle.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'll have to pile on, with recent purchase of a 1920's Winchester 94 in 30-30. The bore is very worn, 4 or 6, depending on who's buying or selling. Rifling is there, but light pitting as well.

It's holding 2-3 inches at 100 with iron peeps and a 150 Remington Core-Lok factory load.

Much better than I had expected, and certainly more than I had hoped for.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mannyrock
Dear Guys,

I need some advice regarding an old Winchester 94, in .38-55, with the 24 inch round barrel, full length magazine, and nosecap. The rifle was made in 1902. The wood on it is extremely good, zero cracks, not refinished, minor handling marks. My dad bought it a few years ago and stupidly WAY over paid for it. (Gulp, $1,350).

Is the barrel factory original and 24", not 26"?

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
My apologies on the description. It has a 26 inch barrel. Somebody took a stone and polished the face of the muzzle flat, so the crown must have been pretty bad at one point.

Thanks for all of the great advice. I am one of those people, though, who does not like to fool with a poor barrel, especially trying to clean a 26 inch one after shooting it. In addition, my eyes are so bad that I always need at least a peep sight, and drilling/tapping this receiver would ruin it.

Guess its time to let it go.

Thanks,

Mannyrock

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I believe the muzzle on that rifle should be flat and in the white. Isn't it already D&T for a tang peep? Sounds as though you have your mind made up regardless. Post some pictures and a price.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Well, you are correct. The muzzle is flat and in the white.

I took a really good look at the wood in the sunlight, and it is so nice looking that I now doubt that it was not refinished at some point in the past. The wood is flush with the receiver, not proud. I'm not sure if that is proof positive of a refinish, or whether it could just be shrinkage due to the stock being 114 years old.

At any rate, I have decided to let it go. Cannot for the life of me figure out how to post pictures on the classified forum, since I don't have a website. Send me a pm if anyone is interested, and I'll e-mail pics and a better bore description.

Thanks for all of your kind advice.

Mannyrock

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
PM sent. I can post the pictures if you wish.

Charter Member

szihn

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I hate to be critical, but I think you have a gun you know nothing about so you'll sell it off rather than learn about it. The wood is nice so you think that's proof it's been refinished. The muzzle crown is flat (which it should be) so you think that means somebody tried to repair a flaw. You feel the bore's bad but won't shoot it to see how it shoots. I'm guessing that somebody that knows what they're looking at is going to get a nice old '94. I wish I needed another one.
yooper

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A couple pics Mannyrock sent me.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Charter Member

szihn

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
He now has it listed in the classifieds.

Charter Member

szihn

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Yooper,

I collected First Model Winchester 73s for many years. I never cared much about the condition of the bores, because for those pieces that I acquried, in category Fine or Fine+, bore condition was not really much of a factor. And, of course, I never fired one.

Old Model 94s, which I have never collected, are quite different though. Bore condition is a very big deal, because most people actually want to shoot one if at all possible, unless it is in the 98% or better category. Personally, though, I have no interest in shooting or working with rifles that have only middle grade bores. Just not my thing. Of course, I am happy that other people get real enjoyment out of it.

As you can tell, not much of what I learned about early Win 73s translates over to the collectible 94 arena. (I had no idea that early bores were cut flat.) However, when I see really excellent wood, that is even or just slightly proud of the receiver, I try to scrutinize it very very carefully.

Perhaps you can help me? Take a look at the pictures that are posted, blow them up in high detail (cause they are in 7.5 pixel), and let me know what you think of the rifle or stocks. Maybe I will learn something?

Best,

Mannyrock

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
A little more information on the crown of the 94 I have. Even though these were originally cut flat, this one is not only flat, but actually has semi-sharp edges and is still mostly white. Somebody definitely re-stoned this one flat again, to clean up the "crown". Aside from one small nick on one of the edges, the rest of the flat face is totally flat and smooth, no scratches, dings, etc. Not what you would expect from a 113 year old piece.

Even flat faced Win 73s have gently rounded edges on the muzzles, from honest wear and use.

Mannyrock

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Close examination of the bore where it meets the muzzle flat on an old Winchester will reveal that it is chamfered ever so slightly....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No idea why no one else could see the pictures I previously posted for Mannyrock. They show up on my screen fine. Go figure. confused Trying again.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Charter Member

szihn

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

361 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,015
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.