Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hotload Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Been having a very good year economically and want to invest most of
the money. One broker is telling me to put the money in a no-load
mutual fund. Another broker is talking up Exchange Traded Funds.
I do not understand ETFs at all. confused

Looking for help with investment choices.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

Hotload Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So far in September, I have been getting all manner of terrible financial
advice on ETFs. A lot of financial advisors seem to think high risk bets
are the only way to go.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Think of an ETF as a mutual fund that trades like a stock. There are hundreds of them and they can be as conservative or aggressive as you like.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

I just spent the morning talking friends about investment strategies & the 5 I talked with agree with me "Good time to be in cash". If you want to be in mutual fund go with a Vanguard index fund

Hotload Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I now think that good investing is very conservative and long term. May sound boring but its emotionally appealing to me.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Hotload
I now think that good investing is very conservative and long term. May sound boring but its emotionally appealing to me.

Diversification, dollar cost averaging, and an eye for your time horizon....yes. Long term investing doesn't work very well if you already have one foot in the grave.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Hotload Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

..... dollar cost averaging, ......

?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
E.T.F. stands for exchange traded fund. A portfolio of something that trades like a stock on the exchange. There are also closed end mutual funds, that trade on the exchange like a stock. There are many many various types of both, from fairly calm to heavily leveraged, broad based to on the other hand narrow based.
If you are NOT familar with these, get familar, plenty of stuff on the net explaining them before investing.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 09/28/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

?

Equal dollar purchases at specific time intervals.

An example of this is a persons 401k contributions that are deducted from each paycheck.

It helps in lower your average cost in a sideways market, like what we are experiencing now, post correction. When the market is down you buy more shares at a lower price, when it's up, you buy fewer at the higher price.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
http://jasonkelly.com/resources/strategies/

Check out this 3% Signal strategy that uses a single small cap ETF (IJR) and a bond fund. His book is fascinating and makes alot of sense to me.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you have the ballz you can now use ETF's to short that market if you think the current trend will continue for any period of time.

Having said that, I am a long term invester (not trader). I have thought about shorting some via ETF but then remember that timing any market is in my opinion a fool's errand.

My $.02

twofish

*Master of random precision*
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gahuntertom

I just spent the morning talking friends about investment strategies & the 5 I talked with agree with me "Good time to be in cash". If you want to be in mutual fund go with a Vanguard index fund

This. Wellington has been fairly decent.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been dealing with investment issues/strategies for many years but never had the help of a broker or "advisor" - except possible insights gained in casual conversation. So, no market expertise/advice here. The only thing I can offer is take a clear look at your current circumstances and your own likely future. That is probably a more predictable guide than guessing what the market, and the various market options, will do.

For a long time, my days (and often evenings) were taken up with job responsibilities and we were raising four kids - eventually seeing them through university studies. Dollars available for investment were very limited and I simply did not have time to study the market or be in contact with a broker. So, tried to go with the best managed mutual funds looking toward the longer term and, with the retirement plan, took advantage of income shelters where circumstances enabled such.

As the girls went on to careers we had some discretionary $$, so put some into local low-risk real estate development schemes and some into higher risk private ventures - tried to stay balanced - but never got into the "market" as such. Worked out OK.

Later, as age and eventual retirement became factors, my very stable and low operating cost supplementary retirement vehicle began to offer personal annuities that were were being managed much like the highly successful retirement aspect. So, I plunked much of the yields from earlier ventures into those annuities. Selected a mix of lower yield/lower risk stuff and some medium risk things that seemed to have good growth potential. This worked OK.

Later, it looked like the retirement income would be sufficient and our main interest became where to live in our dotage and how to grow something to leave to the kids. So, we bought a chunk of real estate to live on and I shifted most of the remaining annuity and retirement funds to stock-indexed accounts. With the exception of that sudden market drop a few years ago with eventual recovery, that worked OK. Given any good fortune, the kids will make a buck when this place is sold and we will not have needed to dip into the annuity aspects.

Sorry if this has seemed like a personal ramble, but saw your inquiry and it triggered recall never before assembled into a picture. There are different ways to skin a cat. There was no long-term plan and, of course, nothing was guaranteed. We simply read the circumstances and flew by the seats of our pants. Who knows? It might have gone better with a good broker/advisor using the market venues.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

?

I always looked at it this way:

1. I find a company (investment) I like. No emotion. The fundamentals are sound, leadership is good - everything tells me this company, over the long haul, is going to provide a good return on my investment.

2. I buy 10 shares for 200 dollars. My cost per share is 20.

3. Something happens, a run on the markets/industry that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with my company (investment) directly. Share price falls to 10 dollars per share. People get spooked - they see they just lost 1/2 their money and forget WHY they made their choice. Lots cut bait and bail.

4. At this point you buy another 20 shares for 200 dollars. You now have 30 shares at an AVERAGE cost of 13.34 per share. All that now needs to happen is for your share price to rise above that average cost and you're ahead. It has to break 13.34 $/share instead of 20 $/share. You've dollar cost averaged your investment down.

So long as WHY you invested in the company hasn't changed dramatically (management change, massive changes to the world situation etc) - the company/investment still makes sense and happened to be hit by general volatility in the market- buy into the dip. Don't be emotionally invested, pay attention to how the COMPANY is doing, not the market and you should be okay.

Now I'm sure more sophisticated people here will tell me I'm way wrong but it's just how I see things - looking in from the outside.

"Know what you own, and know why you own it." - Peter Lynch

Me

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by teal

?

I always looked at it this way:

1. I find a company (investment) I like. No emotion. The fundamentals are sound, leadership is good - everything tells me this company, over the long haul, is going to provide a good return on my investment.

2. I buy 10 shares for 200 dollars. My cost per share is 20.

3. Something happens, a run on the markets/industry that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with my company (investment) directly. Share price falls to 10 dollars per share. People get spooked - they see they just lost 1/2 their money and forget WHY they made their choice. Lots cut bait and bail.

4. At this point you buy another 20 shares for 200 dollars. You now have 30 shares at an AVERAGE cost of 13.34 per share. All that now needs to happen is for your share price to rise above that average cost and you're ahead. It has to break 13.34 $/share instead of 20 $/share. You've dollar cost averaged your investment down.

So long as WHY you invested in the company hasn't changed dramatically (management change, massive changes to the world situation etc) - the company/investment still makes sense and happened to be hit by general volatility in the market- buy into the dip. Don't be emotionally invested, pay attention to how the COMPANY is doing, not the market and you should be okay.

Now I'm sure more sophisticated people here will tell me I'm way wrong but it's just how I see things - looking in from the outside.

"Know what you own, and know why you own it." - Peter Lynch

You are not wrong.

A short term trader should not average down. If the market tells them they are wrong, they need to get out and look for another trade.

As an investor, you philosophy is generally sound. Keep in mind it is necessary to examine both the micro and macro factors affecting your stock, either could make it necessary to rethink your investment thesis.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
So far in September, I have been getting all manner of terrible financial
advice on ETFs. A lot of financial advisors seem to think high risk bets
are the only way to go.

High risk is ok if you are young and have time to recoup before retirement. As you get older you want to shift some your investment to lower risk investments like bonds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
http://jasonkelly.com/resources/strategies/

Check out this 3% Signal strategy that uses a single small cap ETF (IJR) and a bond fund. His book is fascinating and makes alot of sense to me.

Just got this email from Jason with a pretty good offer . . .

Final week before rebalance

I've written to you about this before, so I'll keep it short.

Stocks are falling, as I wanted them to do before the quarterly signal this coming Sunday. More than a month ago, I told you this is what I wanted. I got it.

This is the last week to join The Kelly Letter ahead of the best signal we've had in many quarters. It's a fantastic moment to start your own 3% Signal plan, or convert whatever is currently failing you in the market to this plan that works. So many recent converts to it are overjoyed at the new lack of investing stress in their lives, and looking forward to this Sunday's signal. Lower prices power the plan, and we have them now.

I want you to join the letter and start your own plan. If you do, you'll gain immediate access to the new "3Sig Quick Start" guide, which will get you going right away even if you don't yet have a copy of the book, "The 3% Signal."

Don't miss this moment! Please subscribe at:

http://jasonkelly.com/letter/

Subscribe now and I'll send you last Sunday's Kelly Letter introducing a new Dow 2 system for the non-signal portion of the letter. You'll also receive the site password, which will get you immediate access to the 3Sig Quick Start guide and the Kelly Letter archive, with recent issues right on top for easy browsing and with the most current three summarized on the top page for you.

Join me to stay ahead of the market, while also staying calm. No other plan comes close to 3Sig for reliable performance with no stress from indecision.

Yours truly,

Jason Kelly

Jason Kelly & Co.
Plaza Kei 101
Wakamatsu-cho 615-6
Sano, Tochigi 327-0846
Japan

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
No load Index funds I like Vanguard lo fees and taxes. Over time you will thank me.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I could lower my dollars cost ave. very easy today, but I am scared to invest right now. My biotech fund most likely won't recover for several years. I can lower my ave cost but every time I invest it goes down even more. Soon I will be out of money to invest. I'm glad I only put half of what I had in or I would be crying . I put in the eek before last in BP oil. It was not @ $32.18 since 1996 except in 2010 for a few days. Sure enough, it went down 10% in 10 days. When it stops going down, I dont know, but if I invest more, it will go down more. The dividends are good@ 7.5%, the price seems very low, oil can't stay this low for too long. I still thick it will be a good investment for the long run. I also put money into AGNC. It did well tip today. Is anyone pulling out of their investments? I think it's too late to pull out now.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For me selling would be a huge mistake. The stock market goes up more than it goes down.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

179 members (2500HD, 160user, 69sportfury, 01Foreman400, 300s, 2UP, 12 invisible), 1,701 guests, and 990 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,625
Posts18,474,094
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.