-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Watched a redtail hawk catch and eat a squirrel in the backyard yesterday. Looked like he enjoyed his meal!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Will be, for about 3-4 weeks.......grin

maddog

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I just wish we had fox squirells here in East Tennessee

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kevinJ
I just wish we had fox squirells here in East Tennessee

Only difference I've ever found between fox and cat squirrels is the weight. You get a bag of fox squirrels and they get heavy, real quick.

They have a BIG fox squirrel in S. La., 2-3 times the size of a normal one. Toting a limit of them would kill a fellow.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Our limit is 10 per day in TN. Me and sch300wsm took our little ones out the other day. It was like hunting with a herd of elephants having a 4 and 5 year old in the woods, but so much fun. We killed 4, but 2 stuck in the tree. The kids loved it and so did we.

I have never seen a fox squirell in TN. I know we have them out west but not here in the east so much. We also have a red squirell a little smaller than a grey squirell. Only ever seen them in the national park and higher elevations. Would love to shoot some of the fox squirells with cool colorations. If it's not pouring rain I will head out in the morning. They were in the white oaks hard, and found 2 beech trees they had been hitting good too.

IC B2

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Went this am, and took ole Dex, my min pin. Unfortunately, the woods was way over grown with weeds and briars. Managed to get one down[one shot red head to bootgrin]. Ole Dex was covered in weed seeds. Got him back to the truck, and it took 15 mins. just to pick him clean. If I'd taken him home, covered like that, and let him in the house mama woulda kicked my azz!! grin.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maddog and Little Dawg, tough combo..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well the pointer household is on the squirrel board! Only I didn't get to pull the trigger. Just applied the size 12 coup de grace. He aimed mid body and spined it. All in all he was pretty proud of himself... wink
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You'd never notice he was enjoying his squirrel hunt. Congrats..

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Hey pointer, tell the boy congrats. I can see by the look on his face, he was having a terrible time.......grin

maddog

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Congratulations to the young man, Pointer! Love to see pics of kids enjoying a hunt.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys. I do think I have a hunter on my hands. Only downside is I have to say no too much. Any/all animals he sees he wants to shoot! laugh

FWIW, that's the pretty side of the squirrel. Last couple of years I've been hunting with the CCI Quik-Shok 22LRs. They absolutely blow holes in squirrels. Didn't have to gut this one as they were already hanging out...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No squirrels here, but the bunnies took a hit yesterday! laugh Shot a bunch with the .223AI and reduced loads.

Heres a triple.

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Nice. Now make a stew out of them. grin

Or "Brer rabbit limb chicken chowder"......just sayin'...whistle grin

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
First, there will be fwied Wabbit....

Then maybe wabbit pot pie...

Then maybe " Cottontail Chicken Chowder"... grin

I put 32 rabbits and a grouse in the freezer this week...I'm ready!!!!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
First, there will be fwied Wabbit....

Then maybe wabbit pot pie...

Then maybe " Cottontail Chicken Chowder"... grin

I put 32 rabbits and a grouse in the freezer this week...I'm ready!!!!
Jeepers! That'd be super country to have a brace or more of beagles in. Until they jumped a jack...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We actually ran beagle a number of years ago. First jack he got on, just loped along with dog behind, got tired of it, looked over its shoulder and went Turbo.
Dog literally stopped in his tracks and looked back at us with a classic WTF! look on his face! laugh

OTOH, my Border Collie was the only dog Ive ever seen run a jack down,and catch it!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
We actually ran beagle a number of years ago. First jack he got on, just loped along with dog behind, got tired of it, looked over its shoulder and went Turbo.
Dog literally stopped in his tracks and looked back at us with a classic WTF! look on his face! laugh

OTOH, my Border Collie was the only dog Ive ever seen run a jack down,and catch it!
The dogs we had would have kept chasing it to the next county! Even if they weren't getting closer. My grandpa had an old male, "Rocky" that he claimed never met a cold track he didn't like... wink Course he had about 5 Rocky's in my life alone, so I'm still not sure which one it was. He always seemed to have a Rocky and a Snoopy. laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Saw only this one today, early in the morning with the Kimber Hunter. Had a good solid tree rest, the perfect hold! Squeezed the trigger.............and get a soft CLICK. I had forgotten to chamber a round.:o Worked the bolt and nailed it through the neck with the second try. It had multiple botfly woolves on it. ich. Tried again in the afternoon, didn't see any, it was pretty breezy and too much movement for me to spot them in. I usually take several pictures in case some turn out poorly, and boy did they ever, I got ONE shot out of multiples that was in focus, the rest all crap.
[Linked Image]

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Phillip, in all my years of squirrel hunting, I've never seen one, that I've shot, with the botfly wolves on it. If you shoot another with that condition, would you take a close up pic and post it? That goes for anyone else, too.

maddog

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

290 members (2ndwind, 308xray, 30Gibbs, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 35 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,862
Posts18,478,591
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.