Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm sure it's a dumb question for those of you that know, but I don't...

Do I load one with a long COAL and chamber it?

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I use the Hornady (previously Stoney Point) modified case and the bullet I'm going to load for. It will allow you to get a total length of the cartridge in question with the bullet you are using to where the rifling begins. Once you know that length you can begin experimenting with different COAL's to find the spot where your rifle likes that bullet placed. You can check youtube videos for demonstrations of use. I hope this all makes sense.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It does help. Thank you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I use the Hornady (previously Stoney Point) modified case and the bullet I'm going to load for. It will allow you to get a total length of the cartridge in question with the bullet you are using to where the rifling begins. Once you know that length you can begin experimenting with different COAL's to find the spot where your rifle likes that bullet placed. You can check youtube videos for demonstrations of use. I hope this all makes sense.

Same here. There are other ways, but the system above is the easiest I've found. If you don't want to invest the money right now, try this. Take a fired case (not resized) and press the mouth of the case on the bench slightly denting it. Now take the bullet you are wanting to load, color it completely with a black magic marker and insert it slightly into the dented case. It should insert with a little resistance caused by the dent in the case. Just get it slightly started into the case. Chamber the case with the bullet inserted slowly and close the bolt. Open the bolt and extract the case. The bullet will either be seated to contact length or will be stuck in the chamber. If so, carefully knock it out with a cleaning rod (or a bounce or two on the floor). The marker will be scraped off the bullet by the dent in the case mouth. Re-insert in the case to the scrape line and measure the overall cartridge length with your caliper. You now have the maximum length at which the bullet will touch the lands and can adjust accordingly. Hope this helps.

If you can, buy the Hornady system. It is not very expensive (about $30.00) The only drawback is that you need a modified case (about $5.00) for each cartridge you load.

Last edited by lastround; 09/29/15. Reason: Clarification

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Sinclair's version of the Hornady tool. It's about the same price as the Hornady but doesn't require modified cases for each cartridge (but does require once-fired brass from the firearm being measured).

Sinclair bullet seating depth tool

You can also go low-tech like mentioned above. I've never heard of denting the case, but have heard of those that will split the case mouth with a dremel: one or two cuts down the case mouth to the shoulder using a fine dremel wheel. Seat the bullet long. Slowly chamber. Carefully back out and measure.

I've never done it that way, but it seems to be a popular (and cheap) method.

If you do order from Sinclair I'd also recommend their hex-nut style bullet comparators.

Sinclair Hex Style Bullet Comparators

So you can record your COAL against the bullets ogive rather than the tip (Hornady also makes a tool for this too).

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
[Linked Image]

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by steve4102
[Linked Image]

That's how I've been doing it for years, it works just fine and you don't need any fancy/extra/costly tools. Steve, judging by how your 9.3x63mm shoots in the other thread it shows you can achieve excellent accuracy without much fuss...Proves the KISS approach works great, even in reloading... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Thanks guys!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
One thing not mentioned in the post above is that if you are not using some tipped bullet and still use lead tipped bullets, that lead gets very easily deformed. If you measure the COAL using that deformed bullet, you may get varied results.

I use a neck resized empty case, blacken the bullet with black marker.

I then seat the bullet longer than know it should be.
I drop the round in the chamber and GENTLY try to close the bolt.

The bolt will stop, if you have a gentle hand ,when the bullet contacts the lands.

Figure out how much your seating stem moves per one full turn.

This is easy once you know how many threads per inch the stem has.

My 30-06 RCBS die moves .005 inch per 1/8 turn of the stem.

Repeat the above step in RED, while incrementally seating the bullet deeper. You decide how much of each increment. I do .010.

When the bolt closes, you are just off the lands. I add another.010 -.015 and go from there. The blackened bullet serves as a visual check to see if there are scuff marks on the bullet from the rifling.

This is all for not, if that round won't fit in your rifle's magazine. If it won't fit, I usually start by checking the magazine length and seat the bullet .030 less than that.

This isn't the only way, but it works for me.

Last edited by saddlesore; 09/30/15.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
One thing not mentioned in the post above is that if you are not using some tipped bullet and still use lead tipped bullets, that lead gets very easily deformed. If you measure the COAL using that deformed bullet, you may get varied results.

I use a neck resized empty case, blacken the bullet with black marker.

I then seat the bullet longer than know it should be.
I drop the round in the chamber and GENTLY try to close the bolt.

The bolt will stop, if you have a gentle hand ,when the bullet contacts the lands.

Figure out how much your seating stem moves per one full turn.

This is easy once you know how many threads per inch the stem has.

My 30-06 RCBS die moves .005 inch per 1/8 turn of the stem.

Repeat the above step in RED, while incrementally seating the bullet deeper. You decide how much of each increment. I do .010.

When the bolt closes, you are just off the lands. I add another.010 -.015 and go from there. The blackened bullet serves as a visual check to see if there are scuff marks on the bullet from the rifling.

This is all for not, if that round won't fit in your rifle's magazine. If it won't fit, I usually start by checking the magazine length and seat the bullet .030 less than that.

This isn't the only way, but it works for me.

You must be retired... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T, don't be so damn cheap. Get the Hornady setup and be done with all this voodoo witchcraft,

It appears you just started re-loading, and you're likely going to be doing it for a few more decades, for multiple rifles.

Divide the 35 bucks for the Hornady set up, by multiple rifles, by 20 years.

It's pennies per year.

The system is simple, fool proof, with results within .002, or better, every time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Size, split, insert bullet, chamber, measure with comparator, seat to the measurement. I call that a kiss, anything longer is jammed, (0.002, 0.003, etc).

Easy peasy.....

[Linked Image]

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Kenneth
T, don't be so damn cheap. Get the Hornady setup and be done with all this voodoo witchcraft,

It appears you just started re-loading, and you're likely going to be doing it for a few more decades, for multiple rifles.

Divide the 35 bucks for the Hornady set up, by multiple rifles, by 20 years.

It's pennies per year.

The system is simple, fool proof, with results within .002, or better, every time.

I'm not cheap. I just didn't know how to do it. that's all. It's not trouble to acquire tools. smile I'm VERY new to this and still sorting it all out.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Tzone, I also have the Hornedy, formerly Stoney Points gauge. I really like it. Very easy to use.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reckon some people forgot what it was like to load for the first time.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by tzone

I'm not cheap. I just didn't know how to do it. that's all. It's not trouble to acquire tools. smile I'm VERY new to this and still sorting it all out.

Try this out tzone. It's a pretty simple, short video that should help.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Thanks JG. That was helpful.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
Size, split, insert bullet, chamber, measure with comparator, seat to the measurement. I call that a kiss, anything longer is jammed, (0.002, 0.003, etc).

Easy peasy.....

[Linked Image]

Bunch of these on the windowsill of my reloading room. Easy, cheap, and they work.

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have the straight Hornady tool for bolt action rifles and several modified cases as well as a drill and the oddball sized tap to make your own modified cases with fired brass. It's all so absolutely unnecessary, but kinda interesting in a tool-centric way. I would love to sell as a package. Following good advice on here, the simple bullet slip method has proven more repeatable and reliable IME. With a slot cut or not. Can use a collet neck die to put a tiny bit of squeeze on a fired case neck, or not. I really fought the idea that the tool was not the way but finally gave in and grabbed the Sharpie.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 257man, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,130 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,775
Posts18,495,765
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.