Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RWE
You have more liberals.

I'll take the snakes...

Was unaware of a difference.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
we have most of the 'bad' snakes. Don't have many Copperheads though, just a few out in the panhandle. All the rattlers you could want, and more than our share of moccasins as well as coral snakes. Every now and then, an exotic will be found, like a cobra or something.
I have killed quite a few while hiking and camping, but here lately, if they are not a direct threat, I usually let them go.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by RWE
You have more liberals.

I'll take the snakes...

Was unaware of a difference.

Liberals are more stupid, twice as venomous, and smell way worse! grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I was snooping around in here yesterday in perfect 80 degree heat...and was nervous about where I was putting my feet...only saw one bull snake though grin

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Went all Summer with no problems, close in to the buildings,...we got a big old rain, and than a drying trend and dammit TWO (Coontail Diamondbacks) in one morning. Gracie started yelling at the first at about 0100,....and I really just wasn't up for chasing it in the dark,....every 1/2 hour forward, she'd light the damned thing up. Finally went out just before first light and shot a little, very pregnant Female under the porch.

All good,....first light, and way to late in the day to crawl back into bed,....coffee and getting azz in gear time.
I go out to check on the orchard irrigation and there's a BIG Male casually making his way across the gate, about 10 feet from Gracie,...she's smiling, wagging tail, fulla' breakfast, and completely oblivious,... go figger.

Anyhoo,....a quick rave review about THIS :

[Linked Image]

Winchester #12, .22 LR.

....makes that CCI stuff in the blue capsule look like a cheap firework, and PATTERNS well out of a 6" barrel.

Turned up during the "Crunch",....sure hoping it'll turn up again.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 09/29/15.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe time to teach Gracie how to use a shovel, hoe or rake - and you can sleep better. Yes - those Win shot .22 deals are very good - I keep some out in the far garage for when unwanted little critters show up.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I only use the .22 near the house,....out around the outbuildings it's a 12 gauge.

That old dog and I have a well rehearsed act, and one oft repeated. She does her job well, and expects the same from me. The rodenticide program I kicked off 'bout three years ago has calmed things down quite a bit, albeit damned expensive, and certainly not an ecologist's delight.

Can't say as that she's ever had to deal with a pair like that,....I should have taken a picture of the thing with her in the foreground.

Have you seen the Win. #12 crimped stuff available anywhere ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good Shootin, Barry! Ran over a 3.5 footer on the CR that leads to the Ranch, a few days ago. Ran over that bastard 4 times. cool
Didn't want to take a chance on being cited for discharging a firearm from a public road. If the snake would have been on our property, then I use this:[Linked Image]

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/29/15.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is a neighbor kid (actually young man) that is in the hospital as we speak from a cottonmouth bite. His Grandfather told me yesterday that his leg had burst and it was draining. Prognosis is good, but right now he is going through lots of pain. He was bitten while working on a fish farm, but I know little details. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn't want to take a chance on being cited for discharging a firearm from a public road.

Against the law to kill a rattle snake here, although I know of no charges ever being filed for it. miles

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Florida's loaded with diamond backs and cotton mouths.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
Didn't want to take a chance on being cited for discharging a firearm from a public road.

Against the law to kill a rattle snake here, although I know of no charges ever being filed for it. miles
Miles, is that a local law, or statewide? Guessin' I've been out west too long - well - it has been a long time. I am really surprised that folks in AR - or any sensible place - would make it illegal to kill a rattlesnake.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by milespatton

Unless things have changed recently, it is illegal to shoot anything in Arkansas for which there is not an open season.

That said, I've never known anyone to be charged either. Having known a couple of their game wardens, it's not something I'd go out talking about if I had.

Last edited by websterparish47; 09/29/15.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've got 2 prairie rattlers (~ 3' each) in the last 2 weeks, and had another escape in tall weeds.
My 38 shotshells, handloaded with #12 shot work well.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Miles, is that a local law, or statewide?

State wide.

I am really surprised that folks in AR - or any sensible place - would make it illegal to kill a rattlesnake.

Para-phrasing Jerry Clowers, "Our Game and Fish Department is run by people that are educated way beyond their intelligence." miles

Last edited by milespatton; 09/29/15. Reason: Left out an important part

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having known a couple of their game wardens, it's not something I'd go out talking about if I had

This would be the correct way to do that. I have a good friend that was a Game Warden until an accident forced Him to retire. He said that the official policy was, If it is close to being illegal, write a ticket. They might not show up in court to contest the ticket, but instead forfeit the bond. Sad, but that is what he was told when He got the job. I made friends with Him long before he was a Warden. miles

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Texas and other states have laws against killing certain rattlers too.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/species/timberrattlesnake/

Today, every state inhabited by timber rattlesnakes has laws protecting the species, including Texas. In Texas, it is listed as a threatened species. This means that people cannot take, transport, have in their possession or sell timber rattlesnakes.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Had our little farm for 12 years now and have never seen one. We are in big rattlesnake country. A momma cat had 5 little ones about 6weeks back. One showed up on the door step w/two fang marks on her little shoulder. I'm sure it was a diamondback. powdr

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Damn, liberals and snakes have even more in common than I thought, at least in AR. My condolences.

LOL
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I'll see if in can get the pic son sent me and I deleted. One of the maintenance supervisors killed a 41" copperhead in their yard last Thursday morning! Biggest damn copperhead I'd ever see !

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 2,353 guests, and 1,462 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,681
Posts18,493,892
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.