Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jgotro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I'm going on my first elk hunt next week in New Mexico ! Cleaning up my rifles getting ready and I put my rifles into my 6 month old canon safe as I turned the handle to lock the safe I hear something fall inside safe. The safe locking mechanism apparently broke! I called cannon talked to them , the requested I take video and send it to them , so I did. The guy explained it is gonna have to be drilled out by a locksmith and they will epoxy the drill marks . I told him I am goin on a very expensive elk hunt next week and he said this process was going to be a minimum of two weeks! So now my guns are locked up and I'm going to have a safe with possibly visible drill marks. I'm never going to by cannon again! I hope my hunt goes well after this day I'm having

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a first!

Is the handle moving freely or was it something else that broke?

I had someone hit the handle of my safe and the built in shear key sheared but I was able to enter the combination then while pushing on the door to take pressure off of the bolts spin the crap out of the handle enough to get it to open.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't let a busted safe or lack of a rifle interfere with your hunt. Don't worry about the safe, even if it has to be drilled it is only a Canon and a couple more holes won't matter.

As far as the rifle, go buy yourself a decent used rifle of your liking, scope it up nicely and take it hunting. You can always sell it if you ever get back into your Canon safe and get your other rifle out.

The cost of your hunt/trip to New Mexico won't be cheap, so don't ruin it over the unnecessary worry of incidental things like rifles and safes...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Warranty.? Seriously they should replace the door if it gets drilled don't you think?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I agree about just buying a good used rifle and not sweating it.
I had something similar years ago when I was the office mgr for a trucking company. I tried to open the ancient office safe and when I turned the handle, nothing happened. The pins wouldn't retract. This safe was a good 50 years out of warranty. A locksmith couldn't do a thing with it.
We took it out on the dock, laid it on it's back, and I used a metal cutting blade in a skillsaw to cut a 12" square hole in the door. We chipped out the poured firebrick and found that a screw had fallen out of the mechanism so the handle just wiggled around without pulling back the pins.
The locksmith took the door off and had it welded up and repainted. It looked pretty good.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No problems, only opportunities.

This is your chance to pick up that rifle you have had your eye on.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Jgotro
I'm going on my first elk hunt next week in New Mexico ! Cleaning up my rifles getting ready and I put my rifles into my 6 month old canon safe as I turned the handle to lock the safe I hear something fall inside safe. The safe locking mechanism apparently broke! I called cannon talked to them , the requested I take video and send it to them , so I did. The guy explained it is gonna have to be drilled out by a locksmith and they will epoxy the drill marks . I told him I am goin on a very expensive elk hunt next week and he said this process was going to be a minimum of two weeks! So now my guns are locked up and I'm going to have a safe with possibly visible drill marks. I'm never going to by cannon again! I hope my hunt goes well after this day I'm having

I will send you my 338-06 and forty rounds loaded with the 225 gr AB. All dialed in from a grizz/black bear hunt a few years ago. I am in the Hill Country. Seriously, let me know.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Get the cutting torch out!!!

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
J
Jgotro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I sent an email to the president of the company, I just got a call that their chief locksmith is gonna call me in morning. Apparently there is a way to open this thing by laying it on its side and hitting it with a rubber mallet. I'm not sure that would be good for the 40 guns I have in it.

Last edited by Jgotro; 09/30/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ha! Post that method up when you get it. I would be pissed off and pitch a fit. I would also buy a new rifle and scope in an appropriate caliber and get it sighted in ASAP. Heck, send the bill to the president of Cannon along with a nice note explaining why you had to buy the rifle and see if he pays, you never know. If he balks, send him a bill for your time sighting in and buying the rifle at your current hourly rate.

Last edited by K1500; 10/01/15.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I will send you my 338-06 and forty rounds loaded with the 225 gr AB. All dialed in from a grizz/black bear hunt a few years ago. I am in the Hill Country. Seriously, let me know. [/quote]

@EdMWOW! What a great guy! I admire your offer. You were obviously raised right!

Last edited by Scopebite65; 09/30/15.

The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting: but the substance of a diligent man is precious.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sorry to hear about your situation. I would be disapointed as well. I would do whatever I needed to get a rifle for that hunt and deal with the safe issue when I got back. To great of a hunt to be ruined over something you cant do anything about.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd be seriously thinking of a bonzai run up to the Hill Country to take EdM up on his offer. Middle of the night, early in the morning, take a day off from work, abandon the wife and kids,.... damn the torpedos-- full speed ahead. The safe will still be there when you get back.

Honestly, some of the folks on this "campfire" are really great people.

Don't miss out on a hunt like that .

Best of luck,
Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM

I will send you my 338-06 and forty rounds loaded with the 225 gr AB. All dialed in from a grizz/black bear hunt a few years ago. I am in the Hill Country. Seriously, let me know.

Well done, Ed.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
J
Jgotro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Agreed Ed is a fine example of how all should be. Still waiting on my call from cannon. I found a 300 wsm in back of my other safe I forgot was in it, so I'm spending today dialing it out to 500yrds with 185 Berger !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agreed Ed is a fine example of how all should be. Still waiting on my call from cannon. I found a 300 wsm in back of my other safe I forgot was in it, so I'm spending today dialing it out to 500yrds with 185 Berger !

LMAO!

That forgotten WSM might quickly become your new favorite rifle.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
J
Jgotro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I'm very thankful I put it in the wrong safe right now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You have another safe? Is it a Cannon? wink Better just put that 300 under your bed until the hunt....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
J
Jgotro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Lol! It's a sentry in my closet , had for 10 yrs,. A fraction of the cost and never gave me one problem

J
Jgotro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Even has a keyed back up, wish my cannon did right now

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (270cowboy, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 257 mag, 65 invisible), 3,248 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,732
Posts18,535,140
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.