[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by warpig602; 10/02/15.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looks obviously shoulder-mounted and the barrel appears to be 11". How is it non-NFA?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Backup of what?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Looks obviously shoulder-mounted and the barrel appears to be 11". How is it non-NFA?

Not shoulder mounted, the lower part of the "buttstock" wrap around the side of the forearm for support.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Who manufactures the wraparound stock? Is this configuration considered a pistol?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
That's a receiver extension (designed to be rested on the cheek, not the shoulder, when fired), not a shoulder stock, thus it's classified as a handgun, not an SBR. There is controversy as to whether or not it's legal to use your shoulder to support that receiver extension, however. Strictly speaking, it seems perfectly legal, since classification is what makes something NFA or not, not how you choose to shoot it. I can, for example, rest the butt of a Model 29 S&W revolver against my shoulder when I shoot it without it becoming an NFA item. That's because it's classified as a handgun, not an SBR. Same with the firearm in the starting post of this thread. The legal definition of a shoulder stock is that it's designed to be shouldered, without regard for whether or not it's possible to shoulder it.

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
That's a receiver extension (designed to be rested on the cheek, not the shoulder, when fired), not a shoulder stock, thus it's classified as a handgun, not an SBR. There is controversy as to whether or not it's legal to use your shoulder to support that receiver extension, however. Strictly speaking, it seems perfectly legal, since classification is what makes something NFA or not, not how you choose to shoot it. I can, for example, rest the butt of a Model 29 S&W revolver against my shoulder when I shoot it without it becoming an NFA item. That's because it's classified as a handgun, not an SBR. Same with the firearm in the starting post of this thread. The legal definition of a shoulder stock is that it's designed to be shouldered, without regard for whether or not it's possible to shoulder it.

Thanks for saving me the trouble.

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Who manufactures the wraparound stock? Is this configuration considered a pistol?

It made by Shockwave, called the Blade. It is considered a pistol.

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Backup to my HK P30....well, technically, my P30 is the back up to this.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by warpig602

Thanks for saving me the trouble.
I was aware of all that and the last I heard you could get in deep [bleep] by shouldering one. The reason I asked was the look of the one depicted is different from the braces I've seen.

It looks like a nice setup. I hope you enjoy it with no trouble from the hoodlums running our country.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Yeah, the only time someone will see me doing it is if I had to use it...in which case I dont care. Technically, you can still use it for cheek weld, just cant touch you shoulder.

While the ATF cant make the law and thus there view of the "pistol braces" is just opinion.....I dont want to be the guy to have to prove it in court.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I was aware of all that and the last I heard you could get in deep [bleep] by shouldering one.
The ones coming out of Sig (with their arm brace attached at the factory) come with a copy of a letter from the ATF stating that how you shoot it doesn't alter its designation as a non-NFA firearm. The letter even gives the example of shouldering it as not altering its designation.

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Youre probably used to seeing this one:

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
I was aware of all that and the last I heard you could get in deep [bleep] by shouldering one.
The ones coming out of Sig (with their arm brace attached at the factory) come with a copy of a letter from the ATF stating that how you shoot it doesn't alter its designation as a non-NFA firearm. The letter even gives the example of shouldering it as not altering its designation.

Which the ATF later recanted its statement and issued an opinion letter saying it does now make the gun an NFA item if shouldered.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Pay particular attention to the last full paragraph of the letter included with the Sig, which is stowed in the grip compartment.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I tried a AR Pistol with the "Blade" on it yesterday at my local gun store. And while it looked cool, I found it to be very uncomfortable. could be just me, though.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Which the ATF later recanted its statement and issued an opinion letter saying it does now make the gun an NFA item if shouldered.
Nope. A recanting has to specifically refer back to the original letter, stating that a rule has been altered or reversed. The second letter doesn't do that, but merely expresses a differing opinion on the part of someone in the same office. Since there is no statement published to the general public by that office addressing this matter, one may rely on either letter, or ignore them both completely, relying instead on the law as written, which only prohibits shoulder stocks, and doesn't specify which ways one may shoot their non-NFA firearms. The ATF has already classified the Sigs as non-NFA, even with the arm braces installed at the factory, which is why store personnel don't get arrested for selling them absent NFA paperwork. There is no precedent in the law for a manner of shooting an unaltered firearm altering its NFA/non-NFA designation.

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Which is why I said opinion, but Im not going to be the guinea pig to see which way the court leans.

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I tried a AR Pistol with the "Blade" on it yesterday at my local gun store. And while it looked cool, I found it to be very uncomfortable. could be just me, though.

Its not comfortable by normal standards, but my current state or residence doesnt allow NFA items so this is as close as I can get.

Last edited by warpig602; 10/03/15.
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Who makes it? How much?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 55 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,427 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,632
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.