Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Well I a agree that some of the blue/mountain grouse varieties are as dumb as fence posts, the ruffed grouse is pretty wily.

Come out to Minny, the ruffed grouse capital of the US. They will humble most people in an afternoon.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by battue
Around here Ruffed Grouse are far from the dumbest of game birds. Birds are down here from historic numbers and you are hunting survivors. They don't usually hang around all that much, although some do.

One thing I can tell Paddler is I have had the opportunity to hunt with some excellent Eastern Grouse hunters and a couple of them have what many would call a great Dog. And more than the proverbial one. They pretty much live the game. When it comes to a Bird giving them a fair opportunity, it odds are only slightly better than your in the tree pic. A couple of them are deadly, especially when they get into enough Birds and find their groove. Makes little difference to the Grouse.

If these guys would have have to hunt Grouse that were wilder they still would. Why? Simple really, they are hunters. Perhaps some would enjoy it more with the increased challenge. They obviously have more than a few Birds and there are covers they again obviously never
touch and they only take a very small percentage of available Birds.

They do it differently, but they do it legally. Anything else is personal preference.

If it makes you feel a little better. However, I kinda took an unfair advantage that day. They were not all that interested in flying, but when forced to had no choice. Nor is a Model 59 a double. In fact it is more efficient than most of them. grin

[Linked Image]

Battue, the dog looks quite happy.

Or did you harvest a small black bear that day also? grin

Thanks for the pic and story,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad

PPS. I sure wish I could be out walking around in the woods, or at least in my garden. It is a bright clear warm fall day here on the dry side of WA. But, I require money to feed my outdoor pursuits and such, and therefor must slave away the day.

Horse hockey.

You're pontificating on the internet on company time...now get your ass back to work. smile

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Paddler
I'm a douchebag and here is my douchebag house. My dog hates me.

[Linked Image]

Agreed!

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Damn, Paddler was even too much of a douchebag for Utah Refuge , he was banned.

http://refugeforums.com/refuge/threads/hunts-from-the-pre-digital-age.844887/

Notice the silly bitches signature line?

"... you'd think it would have done better than that, and it would have,
if it had been a heavier rifle with a bigger bullet." - Elmer Keith

Obama 2012

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I apologize Paddler, I see that you posted that you are 63, so the above photo must be your douchebag son, my bad.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Well I a agree that some of the blue/mountain grouse varieties are as dumb as fence posts, the ruffed grouse is pretty wily.

Come out to to Minny, the ruffed grouse capital of the US. They will humble most people in an afternoon.

The ones in the east Tennessee mountain thickets are dang hard to pin down too. The terrain is steep the cover is impenetrable and the grouse are nervous as a queer eating a hotdog.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Valsdad,

I wouldn't call Toby a great Birddog, but he is a hunter with a lot of heart. He obviously was pushing his way that day and got birdy in some nasty conditions. Sadly at 10 or 11 time is taking its toll. Big for a Cocker.

The new guy is much smaller and I doubt will be as muscular. Not sure if he will ever be able to run on a day like that, but it looks like he will have a better nose. Time will tell.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

PPS. I sure wish I could be out walking around in the woods, or at least in my garden. It is a bright clear warm fall day here on the dry side of WA. But, I require money to feed my outdoor pursuits and such, and therefor must slave away the day.

Horse hockey.

You're pontificating on the internet on company time...now get your ass back to work. smile

oops, busted. blush

Geno

PS I'm not a pontif, there are not enough nice robes in my wardrobe, so please accuse me of shirking or something other than pontificating. grin

PPS and by the way there, you're getting awfully close to breaking the unwritten campfire rule for too many letters and syllables in one word with that one buddy! laugh

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
ALL I got to say about this IS WHEN'S SUPPER grin

NORM

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I figured it was a cocker.. I seem to remember a thread/pics of your new one, maybe? And I'm really happy there are still a few like you that hunt them as they were meant to be.

ANd hold out hope for the new one in the snow. Short legged dogs don't always realize they are. We had a wonderful English bull/ Lab cross. Bulldog height and legs, lab attitude. It astonished us how much she loved snow when we moved from N CA to NW PA. She would have a blast in it. Didn't hunt, but just loved going out in the snow.

Best of luck with the new one. And commiseration over our dogs growing old. If you're a dog person like us, you'll go thru it a few more times.

Now, where were we? Oh, yes, right back to grouse in dumptrucks.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

PPS and by the way there, you're getting awfully close to breaking the unwritten campfire rule for too many letters and syllables in one word with that one buddy! laugh

I thought about that after posting but I let it go figuring that none of these ground sluice'n hicks were smart enough to take off a shoe so's to get an accurate count.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have run a Cheyenne Morrison for a very long time with 2 sets of limbs. One set is 67 at 28, I have a 31 draw. The good lord blessed me with the above average genetics.

I hope you make it as long as you like but am calling bs on your bow limbs.

Those are dink tuna and should have been released as well. I could not id the species as the video was to short but appeared albacore ish. To thump ones chest about such small fish, high priced doubles and high poundage trad bows is all i need to know about a guy like you.

I know a ton of so called doctor hunter types that profess and thump sportsman morals, poetic book quotes and such , they are always the first to tuck tail when the rubber meets the road.

Want to stop gun violence, take away entitlements and take and eye for an eye.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
What about slob fishermen that actually use a boat to go fishing from instead of being a sporting he-man and swimming up the river to where the fishing spot is. Some of them actually stoop so low as to use a rod and reel instead of a handline... give the poor fish a chance folks. Catching fish while swim-trolling with a handline now that's for a real sportsman.

I troll buy swimming with a #3 mepps tied to my pecker.

im not impressed......i swim with a salmon rig down 70 foot tied to mine.....while the lake is whitecapping....

I fish in a lake infested with young tiger muskie and the thought of one of them toothie S.O.B's biting my tally whacker gives me nightmares!!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

laugh laugh

That deserved two,

Well they wouldn't be in too bad of shape if they were wearing slip ons, but if they took off the ones with laces, they'd have to find someone to help them tie 'em back up.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
laugh laugh

yours too wyo260.

Geno

Good thing that lake's only stocked with tiger "muskie" and not those tiger fish from Africa! Guy swims with those he might be looking up Ol Mr Bobbit's docs!

In it is contentment

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't believe I've read 14 pages of this.

This rain's gotta stop soon...

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by snubbie
I can't believe I've read 14 pages of this.

This rain's gotta stop soon...

Another dumb hick......it's only six pages on my puter. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last night while leaving my archery stand I snuck under a pair of long beards roosted. If it would have been legal for me to shoot them in the tree with my bow I would have been more than happy to be eating thanksgiving early. If the man is hunting game within legal hunting parameters, it says part of his character is that he abides by the law. Using that quote about what a man does when nobody is looking in no way shape or form applies in any way but in a positive sense in this situation. Implying otherwise is just ignorant, there were no laws broken. Just good shooting. I bet it was a pile of fun and good eats.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

We got more today, we used a dog to appease the sportsmen...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,709
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.