Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks for that graphic. It makes sense quickly.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a question about BCG wgts. I kinda came late into the AR scene and started w/ a "Predator" style and found some of the brass was being treated unkindly. Having a redneck farmer mentality that hates wasting anything, Id heard that increasing the wgt of the BCG would slow the action and would be more gentle on the gun and the brass. So with the farmer engineering approach i found a 5/8" bolt that wasnt holding anything down and cut the head to a flat thin button, and the body was shortened to allow hammer clearance. The result seemed to be what was desired and the rifle functions without any issues, so after I got a DPMS " barn gun" I did the same thing. Both shoot well, i dont have a broad enough experience base to say whether they are smoother or not, but function is just great. I raely fire more than 2-4 shots at one episode. Foxes and such varmits either die or escape in that time frame. Question is, I guess is am I doing anything especially stupid or wrong? Brass seems to bein the prescribed quadrant, and is reeloadable without any problems, its also usually easy to find.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, adding weight to the BCG or anywhere in the recoil system will keep the bolt in battery longer and slow down the cyclic rate. These are usually good things when you want to save brass or run a little faster load. David Tubb makes a carrier weight system that drops in a AR-15 or AR-10 bolt carrier for that very reason. I have one in my .308 and it does help, especially when shooting suppressed.

Last edited by wareagle700; 10/04/15.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I guess Im going to have to find another unused 5/8" bolt for my AR 10.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Syrac adjustable gas block on a Syrac mid-length 16" upper. The lower has a carbine buffer. The BCG is a semi. I've adjusted the gas block so it locks back on an empty mag, plus 1/2 turn to be safe. It is very "smooth" shooting compared to my other upper and different friends' ARs.

With the same BCG and the same lower, my other upper with a 16" barrel but a carbine gas has much more recoil.

The gas block makes a big difference.

I know things would smooth out with a heavier buffer with the carbine upper, but would I gain anything going to say, an h-2 with the mid-length upper that already had the gas block adjusted, or is it already as good as it gets?

Rather than drop the $40 on a new buffer and shipping to try it, I'm hoping someone here has already used a similar setup.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't change a thing.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the response.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Bump for TikkaNut

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
So.. is the A2 buffer like an H2 or H3? Is it just called a rifle buffer?

I have a 16 inch upper and an A2 stock, haven't had a chance to try the "seeing the hits in the scope" thing yet, but it throws my brass about 4:00 o'clock and works everytime so I guess I don't need to change anything.

OK, I went back and found the diagram, so the A1/A2 is the heaviest? I just need to make sure it locks back on any .223 stuff I shoot or lighter handloads.

Lots of good info in there, just had to pay attention.

Thanks much

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
bump for the new guys.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the info, Blue and others. Invaluable to a noob..

I remember the first time I shot an AR--my buddy's S&W M&P carbine--I was surprised at the 'recoil'. That is, how much it moved on target. I attributed it to the BCG and buffer springs all moving back and forth. Decided a good bolt action was where it was at.

Now that I have one I wonder if I should have shopped for a middy. After reading this I've ordered a heavier buffer and spring. Should get them this week and I'll do some side by side testing to see what happens. I'm not planning on comp with it (yet) so perhaps it's a waste but I'm an OCD tinkerer so can't help it. If I ever shoot out this barrel, I'll try a mid length next time.

Interesting...the Campfire CAN be a source of helpful info... laugh

Thanks for the bump, AS. (I first followed the link from the other thread).

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tag

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 61 invisible), 3,053 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,490
Posts18,471,914
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.