Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Congrats! Partition?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good job lets see some pictures

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I used 115gr partitions

Sorry i can't get the photo to work....

He's not huge but a good meat bull...43.5" wide

Rob
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by harv3589
Well got my moose yesterday...the 25-06 worked great! it was a 270yrd shot broad side, put one into his lungs. he went 20yrds and stopped, put a second one in and down he went. he was dead on the first but wanted to make sure.

Congrats. Glad it worked out for you. Holes in the lungs whether by 55 grains or 550 don't ever not work on moose. And I've never wished I hadn't put the second in there, though they rarely do anything that the first didn't do well enough. As you inferred, where they land does matter. grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You had better be careful opening the freezer, he may jump out smile A 25-06 just isn't supposed to work you know wink Congrats on filling your freezer.

Gerry.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Well done, Harv! Pretty cool when you wrap up a two year old thread like that, too! My dad always thought 25s were enough for big, big game. His last bull elk he took with a 100gr partition. Good eating to you!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
3 north american big game animals you shoot until they stop moving. Mountain goats, brown bears,and moose. All for the same reason, keep them from getting somewhere bad.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here is a pic....

[Linked Image]

Rob
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Huge antlers" or not, moose are always a great prize! Good job; enjoy him every time you open the freezer!

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Here is a pic....

[Linked Image]

That is a beautiful and more than likely delicious "obstacle" your bullets encountered on their way downrange! wink

I appreciate Klik's description of that animal. I've only seen a couple in my life and they do appear quite "obstacle" like to me.

Someday I hope to go "obstacle" hunting. With friends. For the pack out job. Obstacles of that size are not my idea of fun at over 60 yrs of age.

Harv, I hope you had help.

Geno

PS, if one types "obstacle" enough times one could start quesioning one's spelling abilities. It's now not looking correct to me. Must be one of "those" words. Shouldn't there be a "k" or something in there somewhere? confused

Last edited by Valsdad; 10/08/15. Reason: PS

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Here is a pic....

[Linked Image]

That is a beautiful and more than likely delicious "obstacle" your bullets encountered on their way downrange! wink

I appreciate Klik's description of that animal. I've only seen a couple in my life and they do appear quite "obstacle" like to me.

Someday I hope to go "obstacle" hunting. With friends. For the pack out job. Obstacles of that size are not my idea of fun at over 60 yrs of age.

Harv, I hope you had help.

Geno

PS, if one types "obstacle" enough times one could start quesioning one's spelling abilities. It's now not looking correct to me. Must be one of "those" words. Shouldn't there be a "k" or something in there somewhere? confused

I had my partner from work was with me and then another guy from came out to help. It was still a long back breaking day. I packed a hind quarter out on my back and then a front over my shoulder. It was just over 3/4 of a mile back to the truck....the other two quarters we pulled out on a sled and then the last trip was for the head. I shot him at 9:40 am and we didn't finish up until 8pm.

I would do it again...my wife should get her draw next year for bull moose there.

Rob
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Congratulations! Nice job; thanks for sharing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats. It's a lot of work. I've got three of them myself. I'd love to get one or two more but now have a back injury so I may be done.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice looking bull Rob.

Originally Posted by FishinHank
3 north american big game animals you shoot until they stop moving. Mountain goats, brown bears,and moose. All for the same reason, keep them from getting somewhere bad.

I would agree with that............

Gerry.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Heavy for caliber is always a good idea when using small caliber rifles on large animals.
I have a box of 125 gr. Barnes Originals that I am saving for a special occassion. (For my 25-06)
However in the meantime I bought a 35 Whelen and fell in love.
I have only recovered one bullet from a deer and it was a big buck quartering away and a 200 gr bullet which is pretty light for a .35 caliber.
Bob Hagel wrote that we should not pick a cartridge that will do the job when everything is right, but the one which will do the job when everything goes wrong.
Seems like a good idea to me.
whelennut

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My son has used the 80gr TTSX in the 25-06 for a couple caribou bulls, a huge-bodied bull moose, a mountain goat, a couple Sitka blacktails, and a brown bear... He recovered a few of them from huge bones in the moose and from a rock a deer was sleeping against...

Not thinking the heavy for caliber line works better these days with Barnes...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
My son has used the 80gr TTSX in the 25-06 for a couple caribou bulls, a huge-bodied bull moose, a mountain goat, a couple Sitka blacktails, and a brown bear...

Was the bear a target of opportunity? I've not heard of any people hunting brown bear intentionally with a .25-06 and 80 grain bullets before. Your boy is obviously confident in his rifle choice or has a really large pair of stones!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here is a link to the entire story: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8908219/1

It was a bit of a target of opportunity, but there was no doubt the bear was going to die and do so quickly when he pulled the trigger. He had shot a Kodiak bear the spring before and was fairly comfortable with bears for a 20-year-old kid.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Do you get an exit wound with an 80 grain bullet?
I feel really old fashioned.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The three bullets recovered around Riley's critters were understandable. Like I said above, one went lengthwise through a small Sitka blacktail buck and hit a rock he was bedded against. The bullet was found in the hair on the outside of the deer after it bounced off the rock.

Another went through the huge knuckle on the knee of a huge-bodied bull moose, passed through the heart and lodged halfway into the huge knuckle joint on the opposite leg.

The third was in the same moose and it took several neck vertebrae out and was found surrounded by bone.

Both bullets passed through the brown bear on broadside shots and went right through the heart. He did not go far at all and most of that was rolling downhill.

A big caribou bull at 340 lasered yards lost his heart and it was a spectacular hole... there was no heart for dinner that night...

So, yeah, they do go all the way through under most circumstances.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (257_X_50, 160user, 257Bob, 163bc, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,786
Posts18,477,223
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.