Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Washington, DC — President Barack Obama held a press conference today to announce signing into law a bill that prevents U.S. media outlets from naming the shooting suspect in any of their news coverage. This comes just days after a gunman opened fire inside a classroom at a rural Oregon community college, killing nine people and injuring nine others before committing suicide after a shootout with police.

“Today I’m proud to announce the ‘Mass Shooting Bill’, which will prevent the media and it’s coverage from naming the suspect or perpetrator in horrible tragedies like the recent Oregon shooting. If it is some kind of sick fame these individuals desire then that fame is what will be denied,” Obama told reporters. “With the shooting in Oregon, it is important to remember the 9 innocent lives that were lost that day. We must think of heroes like Chris Mintz, who was shot seven times while saving lives and survived, all on his son’s sixth birthday. We must forget the killer.”

Kentucky Senator Rand Paul, who voted against the bill, told Fox News the new law is a clear violation of freedom of speech.

“This goes against the 1st Amendment and everything the founding fathers envisioned for this great country,” Paul said. “Working alongside with other members of Congress, I promise you that we will get this law repealed.”

After the Oregon shooting, media outlets such as NPR received criticism over articles that named the suspect.

Under the new law, media outlets will face fines of up to $100,000 for naming in print, online, or over the airwaves, the suspect in a mass shooting, which is categorized as the murder of four or more people with no cooling off period.

http://nbc.com.co/obama-passes-mass...r-allowed-to-name-mass-shooting-suspect/

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Washington, DC — President Barack Obama held a press conference today to announce signing into law a bill that prevents U.S. media outlets from naming the shooting suspect in any of their news coverage. This comes just days after a gunman opened fire inside a classroom at a rural Oregon community college, killing nine people and injuring nine others before committing suicide after a shootout with police.

“Today I’m proud to announce the ‘Mass Shooting Bill’, which will prevent the media and it’s coverage from naming the suspect or perpetrator in horrible tragedies like the recent Oregon shooting. If it is some kind of sick fame these individuals desire then that fame is what will be denied,” Obama told reporters. “With the shooting in Oregon, it is important to remember the 9 innocent lives that were lost that day. We must think of heroes like Chris Mintz, who was shot seven times while saving lives and survived, all on his son’s sixth birthday. We must forget the killer.”

Kentucky Senator Rand Paul, who voted against the bill, told Fox News the new law is a clear violation of freedom of speech.

“This goes against the 1st Amendment and everything the founding fathers envisioned for this great country,” Paul said. “Working alongside with other members of Congress, I promise you that we will get this law repealed.”

After the Oregon shooting, media outlets such as NPR received criticism over articles that named the suspect.

Under the new law, media outlets will face fines of up to $100,000 for naming in print, online, or over the airwaves, the suspect in a mass shooting, which is categorized as the murder of four or more people with no cooling off period.

If this is not a hoax, it will never survive a first amendment court challenge.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, if they can't use a tragedy to erode the second amendment...

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Wouldn't want folks finding out the shooter was a registered democrat or a muslim.

MOLON LABE

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's apparently real.
Although I like the idea of not making these pukes famous, the press should refrain because it's the right thing to do.
No way anyone can think this is constitutional. Makes me sick he would even try.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
you can't hide a killer with the internet in almost every house. This Muslim Black POS Thinks he is King

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
This is obviously not the National Broadcasting Corp. It's some wacky site owned by a Dr. Horner. I would be seriously surprised if Congress could actually act that fast.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's not real. The link is to a b.s. site.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

MOLON LABE

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If real, this is REALLY IGNORANT.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by JBARTRAM
It's not real. The link is to a b.s. site.

Yep.

.co is the country code for Columbia.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A search revealed a number of news sources saying that OBAMA passed it, not congress. I checked the senate and house roll call voting records and didn't see any such bill being voted on.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's simple - he cannot make/pass a LAW like that.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hoax site. nbc.com.co On other words, com.co (which is in Colombia)

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't know... These mass shootings are falling into 2 categories.
1) Terrorism like Fort Hood or Boston Marathon
2) Fame seeking nutjobs

You can't yell FIRE in a theater because of the high likelihood of injury or death.

So how is promoting for days on a 24x7 news circus the names and motives and everything about these nutjobs not the same as yelling FIRE? It's proven that it's leading to copycats and killings.

I couldn't care less if it leads to lower ratings. Maybe we should try banning the publishing of the names on newspaper/radio/television, let it sunset in 5 years.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Don't know... These mass shootings are falling into 2 categories.
1) Terrorism like Fort Hood or Boston Marathon
2) Fame seeking nutjobs

You can't yell FIRE in a theater because of the high likelihood of injury or death.

So how is promoting for days on a 24x7 news circus the names and motives and everything about these nutjobs not the same as yelling FIRE? It's proven that it's leading to copycats and killings.

I couldn't care less if it leads to lower ratings. Maybe we should try banning the publishing of the names on newspaper/radio/television, let it sunset in 5 years.

I can yell fire in a crowded theater....if it's true.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you guys are discussing something that didn't happen

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Yep, hoax. Don't get all exercised.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by watch4bear

On a related note, the word "gullible" has been removed from the dictionary.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,016
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.