Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I have a person from Canada that is interested in buying a firearm (rifle) from me, a non FFL. He says he uses a ffl who is an importer.

If I make this transaction with this gentleman, what do I need to do to keep this legal? Can I send it to the importer, is there a batfe quickcheck site that I can verify this importer is legal to receive from me, does this have to go through a US FFL?

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Good luck! I sold a shotgun to a Canadian through an exporter, it only took around 8 months.

You might think about throwing it into a river somewhere, it would less trouble...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Is the FFL he uses in the us or Canada? I am pretty sure that you would need an export license.

http://www.losttarget.com/importfirearmcanada.htm

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did it through and exporter, no issues. It was all setup by the purchaser and went just fine. A little extra paperwork was all.

B
B
My first post here on the Fire, but there are a couple of Canadian Importers that have U.S. FFL numbers that accept rivate transfers.

The best one i have found is Prophet River Firearms. They have a great page on their website that fully explains the process top to bottom.

Should take three to four weeks once they receive the firearm at their WA State office to have it in Canada.

Longbows, single shot rifles, fly rods: Life is good.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Tag

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
First you make the buyer do all the paper work...pay all shipping and fees...

I have funds for gun, FFL fee and shipping to irunguns...wired in US Funds to my bank or use PayPal Gift only...most banks charge for a wire transfer about $25 per $1000...

I have used irunguns...https://www.irunguns.us/page.php?name=import-process...no different than a FFL to FFL transfer...

First buyer needs to do paper work and pay $200 to irunguns ... you take gun to a FFL they will ship to irunguns in Arizona... they export to Canada...buyer pays Import Tax and Canadian sales Tax...

It does take 8-12 weeks from the time irunguns in Arizona receives the gun until its in the buyers hands...they only export on a certain day of the month so it could sit from a couple days up to a month...then Canadian customs holds it until they complete what they need to do...then it needs to go threw a dealer or gun club in Canada...

I ship in a hard case in a heavy cardboard box...gun is going to be packed and unpacked several times...shipped 3 times...take pictures before, during and after being packed and send them to buyer...

Also give the gun a heavy coat of RIG storage grease...

MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As bcmtnmonkey said, it's do-able.

About 9 months ago I sold a rifle to a Canadian collector. I was hesitant but the Canadian buyer was a good guy and he knew the drill. It was mostly some hoop-jumping for him. As I recall I had to fill out some forms and ship the rifle to a U.S. FFL dealer in Washington State who was set up for the export/import with a Canadian counterpart. It then took a couple months for the rifle to be shipped to the buyer in Alberta. The firms we used knew what they were doing and it went smoothly.

Key thing is to provide the buyer with lots of pictures, discuss in detail condition of the firearm, and do a good job of packaging as once the deal is made there is no practical way to do a 3-day inspection/return thing.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
As a Canadian who appreciates the opportunity to buy guns from the United States, I agree with what many here have said. Make the buyer do all the work. I have used an importer here. They work with an FFL/exporter there. I have used Prophet River Firearms based in Alberta. Their US FFL (in Washington state) will accept from a private individual. There is only one extra piece of paper for you to fill out stating to whom you are selling the firearm. Please don't be surprised if a Canadian buyer asks for a price break/your bottom dollar price. The fee is $250 plus taxes and shipping from Alberta, so it's either got to be a smokin' deal or something we really want.
Shotguns are a little cheaper and handguns are a little more paperwork (for us), but, it's all doable.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Good information to know. What about bullets? I sell some fairly specialized muzzle loader bullets that I occasionally get a request to send to CA. Would like to know if there's a legal way to oblige.

IC B3

B
B
Unfortunately the same drill applies: An importer like Prophet has to do up the paperwork, and they charge by line item of importation, meaning it is cheaper to import 1000 405 grain bullets than 1000 bullets of four different grains in 250 item lots.

Up until a couple of years ago no one cared about scopes/reloading components or stocks. It is actually the U.S. Dept. of Trade under Homeland Security directives that has made the accessories a pain.

There was a time not long ago when border agents on both sides would just smile and give a thumbs up when you had some cool shooting items like scopes/stocks/ or reloading components.

Longbows, single shot rifles, fly rods: Life is good.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 22250rem, 219DW, 204guy, 59 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,869
Posts18,518,003
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.