Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Fantastic. The new Tappan Zee Bridge across the Hudson River.

I don't think anything in the world can equal it. 4 miles.

http://www.newnybridgegallery.com/iliftny.php

The behemoth crane is said to be one of the worlds largest. Took 6 months to move it from California to the bridge site.

My son and I crossed the old 1955 bridge adjacent ant it was 4 miles of row to row piers, columns and cranes. You couldn't see from one end to the other all simultaneous operations with floating batch plants at each station.

The NYS Transit site is cantankerous. At best here's a Google link.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc....0l5.0.0.0.12767...........0.UdYPhg-PgyQ

Lots more photos and videos.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 10/12/15.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Still not big enough to carry all your bullscheidt

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Priceless.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Still not big enough to carry all your bullscheidt
Nailed it.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If it ain't the Mackinac - it ain't chit.

Me

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by teal
If it ain't the Mackinac - it ain't chit.

The Mighty Mac!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lotta' engines running out there, Willie.

You better quit screwin' around here on the Campfire,.....get yer' azz out there and sell em' some Cermalube.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You could build a new crane for less than shipping cost.

US Mail/poney express didn't bring it.
And own the crane, too, when the job is done.

Oh well.
Pride always comes before a fall.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by William_E_Tibbe
Fantastic. The new Tappan Zee Bridge across the Hudson River.

I don't think anything in the world can equal it. 4 miles.

http://www.newnybridgegallery.com/iliftny.php

The behemoth crane is said to be one of the worlds largest. Took 6 months to move it from California to the bridge site.

My son and I crossed the old 1955 bridge adjacent ant it was 4 miles of row to row piers, columns and cranes. You couldn't see from one end to the other all simultaneous operations with floating batch plants at each station.

The NYS Transit site is cantankerous. At best here's a Google link.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc....0l5.0.0.0.12767...........0.UdYPhg-PgyQ

Lots more photos and videos.

So Billy bought a bridge, and now he's trying to sell it to one of us.

Billy, stuff for sale should be posted in the Free Classifieds forum.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 10/12/15.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I gotta' wonder why this buffoon doesn't take his self proclaimed, "disposal income" and fire up a website with all of the rules, regulations, chicken blood and ashes, weirdness, grotesque stupidity,....etc.

He could run it any way he damned well pleases, No ?

Maybe he could offer health insurance,..he and Piddler could team up on a clinic.

BTW,...."Sniper Lube" in marketable form, does not exist.
A few locals have been pursuing the stuff,...
Some clowns came up with the catchy name over bad drugs or booze,....and that's the extent of the velocity boosting miracle.

The owner of the Cermalube outfit is a real hoot snake oil salesman extraordinaire,....and DAMNED shy of getting to close to the shooting community,...hey, look at where he's BASED.

...ya'll ever shine a light on a building fulla' roaches ? whistle

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Oh well.

In it's arena,....that's not a particularly LARGE crane, either.

There were STEAM powered cranes floating around the Gulf of higher capacity, on WAY larger barges, 50 years ago, setting structures.

That's not extrapolation,...I was THERE.

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Oh well.

There were STEAM powered cranes floating around the Gulf of higher capacity, on WAY larger barges, 50 years ago, setting structures.

GTC

I believe you.

Difference is you don't boast like some miserable wretch that can't find a cure for his constipation.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It is a 'fantastic bridge' as you say William.
But has had one major flaw . . .

> https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/490533751.jpg <

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Oh well.

GTC

I believe you.

Difference is you don't boast like some miserable wretch that can't find a cure for his constipation.

One of the problems with other people trying to run jive on me is that I have been around.

Here's a link to the Panama Canal - with photos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_Canal

The previous posters allegations about the size of cranes and barges there 50 years ago are the products of his delusion.

I was the Latin America marketing manager for the Worlds leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment. I travelled two weeks each month for 3 years in LA.

The only Canal activity ongoing back in that time frame was a couple of barges with side mounted drilling rigs, drilling blasting holes to trim off the banks and curves. Those were our rig and I was on the barges. They were little pip squeaks compared to what is presently on the Hudson River. There were no cranes of any size that could hold a candle.

The Panama Canal was started 1n 1884 and completed in 1914.

wink

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by William_E_Tibbe

Oh well.

GTC

I believe you.

One of the problems with other people trying to run jive on me is that I have been around.

The previous posters allegations about the size of cranes and barges there 50 years ago are the products of his delusion.

I was the Latin America marketing manager for the Worlds leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment. I travelled two weeks each month for 3 years in LA.

The only Canal activity ongoing back in that time frame was a couple of barges with side mounted drilling rigs, drilling blasting holes to trim off the banks and curves. Those were our rig and I was on the barges. They were little pip squeaks compared to what is presently on the Hudson River. There were no cranes of any size that could hold a candle.

Of course you were..just as you are so precisely accurate with your knowledge of firearms laws....

Please excuse me I have to put chest waders on to keep the stink off my clothes

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by WET

Not even close.

[Linked Image]

The shear-leg crane on Left Coast Lifter has a 328-foot (100 m) long boom, weighing 992 short tons (900 t) with a 1,873-short-ton (1,699 t) lift capacity.[2] It is the largest barge crane ever used on the U.S. West Coast.

[Linked Image]

Thialf has two cranes with a combined maximum lifting capacity of 14,200 metric tons, making it the largest crane vessel in the world.[4] but has lower height lifting capabilities than its competitor Saipem 7000 (which has lifting capability of 14,000 tonnes at 42 meters while the Thialf can lift 14,200 tonnes at 31.2 meters).

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Crow:

I differ. These are two different beasts.

The Left Coast Lifter has a 100 meter boom. That's a football field. You should see it sitting there. It's mind blowing. A humungous monster.

Your example is actually two cranes combined on one barge. They are short legged, 1/3 the length of boom.

Just to see this thing is almost shocking, it's so huge. I couldn't count the other cranes. BIG ones. There had to be over 30 and maybe even 60.

I was in the construction business and worked on some fairly large projects but nothing that came even close to this by a long shot. When I think of each days activity, the numbers of crane operator, dock builders, operating engineers, laborers, and other trades, all of the tug boats, batch plants, logistics, steel beam forming, I have to marvel at the ingenuity and knowledge of the American People. I'm actually astonished that there is this amount of equipment around this area.

Can't say the exact cost. I heard figures around 3 - 4 - 5 BILLION over the years. Completion is scheduled for 2018, and projected on schedule and on estimated cost. We will see. Never underestimate these New York Contractors. If there is an early completion bonus they will do it.

But alas new tolls are calculated at $15 each passenger vehicle. That's a political football hotly debated now. Back in the old days it was $1.50.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_Canal
The Panama Canal was started 1n 1884 and completed in 1914.

wink

Panama,...that where you caught the brain eating Syph ?

I didn't say a damned thing about the Panama Canal, you idiot. I said THE GULF, as in Gulf of Mexico......as in J.Ray McDermott & Sons,...They had a 1500 tonner 'fer cryin out loud.

GTC

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Greg... too late, WET has moved the target again. It's not the size of the barge nor its lift capacity, it's the length of the boom, now.

Man, it's a good thing I don't try to keep up with WET's target manipulations. I'd get even more tired than I am already.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
4 miles ain't fer chitt. There are two bridges, side by side down in the Keys. 7 miles they are. The first was built by Henry Flagler working on 100 years ago. It is still serviceable.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1936M71, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,932
Posts18,498,721
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.