Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10574110 10/17/15
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Any of you guys have experience with kids ATVs? The wife and I are thinking about getting a couple for our kids. I've been looking at those with engines around the 90cc size. I see a lot of the Chinese versions of these but have no experience with them. I'm not looking to spend $3000 so I've been looking at used units. You guys have any experience with these, Chinese or not?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought my 8 year old a 2009 honda TRX90 off craigslist
Man it has been awesome. Ive actually neglected it pretty bad, never even changed the oil. Its been unstoppable

I wouldnt buy chinese

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
Any of you guys have experiencewith kids ATVs? The wife and I are thinking about getting a couple for our kids. I've been looking at those with engines around the 90cc size. I see a lot of the Chinese versions of these but have no experience with them. I'm not looking to spend $3000 so I've been looking at used units. You guys have any experience with these, Chinese or not?

Yes. Proceed with caution and watch them as best you can. Not rare-and one is there now-to have a kid come into the hospital banged up seriously from flipping them. The one there now has an ugly head injury. Helmet always.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Chinese one are much safer than the Japanese ones, in that they quit running a few months after you buy them,

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I totally agree. Safety is going to be paramount in this. We'll ride together, and everyone will wear helmets. Also, I'm looking for machines with governors to keep speed down. They're really good kids, and listen well, but they're still kids and things happen. I'd like to remove as much room for error as I can. I plan on this being a lot of teaching moments.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm gathering that. I've been looking at a lot of used Honda and Polaris 50s. I think that would be about their speed.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Honda.....Yamaha

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Any go karts you guys would suggest? I'm still mulling this route over as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Hondas are geared thus the kids have to learn to shift, i tell mine stay in 1st or stay in second...unlike a CVT belt (yamaha) where they can just push the gas and go faster

Honda trx 90
Thank me later

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Wouldn't this fit better in the atv section?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Probably but who cares? It's fine here.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Don't

Montana MOFO
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Just had a friend who lost a daughter to a ATV accident

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Like I said, don't.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I honestly think that a lot of deaths that come from ATVs are due to lack of experience and training, much like firearms. I'm hoping that their father training them, working with them, and showing them the do's and don'ts will help this later. The injuries I've seen are due to kids (or adults) getting on a machine that they don't have a healthy level of respect for. As I said, I'm also looking at go karts as they have a roll cage, seat belts, and additional safety accessories.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Wouldn't this fit better in the atv section?

Based on the number of active posts, page views, and timeline, I figured it was better here.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I honestly think that a lot of deaths that come from ATVs are due to lack of experience and training, much like firearms. I'm hoping that their father training them, working with them, and showing them the do's and don'ts will help this later. The injuries I've seen are due to kids (or adults) getting on a machine that they don't have a healthy level of respect for. As I said, I'm also looking at go karts as they have a roll cage, seat belts, and additional safety accessories.

My wife succumbed to the temptation of atvs for the kids one year when I was out of town. We kept them for a while until I decided to ship them and get the kids a dirt bike.

Took a little to convince her, but with smaller kids, dirtbikes aren't as dangerous. No doubt they can get hurt. But the owner of a bike shop here explained it very well. Anyone can get on any atv and run it WOT. That is, until they run into a problem. Then it is a huge and very dangerous and potentially deadly problem. But, you cannot get to top speed, wot on a dirt bike. Your skill has to develop to get the bike there, otherwise, you will wreck before you hit top speed. Also, when you wreck, you don't have as heavy a piece of equipment trying to kill you.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Side hills are a major cause of ATV accidents. Bikes are more stable on side hills.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Worked in a hospital for the last 20 yrs. ATVs aren't toys. Seen plenty of adults with bad injuries from ATVs. Figured they probably had it coming. Seen lots of kids with bad, life long injuries. Figured it should have been their parents.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tarkio

My wife succumbed to the temptation of atvs for the kids one year when I was out of town. We kept them for a while until I decided to ship them and get the kids a dirt bike.

Took a little to convince her, but with smaller kids, dirtbikes aren't as dangerous. No doubt they can get hurt. But the owner of a bike shop here explained it very well. Anyone can get on any atv and run it WOT. That is, until they run into a problem. Then it is a huge and very dangerous and potentially deadly problem. But, you cannot get to top speed, wot on a dirt bike. Your skill has to develop to get the bike there, otherwise, you will wreck before you hit top speed. Also, when you wreck, you don't have as heavy a piece of equipment trying to kill you.
My pard in ID is of the same opinion. Folks get hurt on dirt bikes, but not killed compared to ATVs. Lighter and therefore won't crush a person. I'm thinking there may be something to that...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (163bc, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,568
Posts18,491,848
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.