-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was a boy I read all the books in the library on Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, Jim Bridger, Kit Carson, and anything about the Kentucky and Pennsylvania long rifle.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I read My Side of the Mountain many times as a kid, and my son really liked the Hatchet series by Gary Paulson.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Haven't read all this Gruff, but THE OLD MAN AND THE BOY is a great read..
I also just picked up Jack Atcheson's Hunting Adventures World Wide... It is a a collection of great hunting adventures..
Someone mentioned Charlie Askins Unrepentant Sinner.. I enjoyed that book, but for a young kid, I am not sure about some of the stuff Charlie did.. He was a pretty cold character... Just a thought..

Molon Labe
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
a lot of the ones mentioned here are good, also try to get his folks to get him in 4-h air rifle and pistol, it will help with the hands on safety since you are not close enough to help with that part

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Haven't read all this Gruff, but THE OLD MAN AND THE BOY is a great read..

Add to that "The old Man's Boy grows older" and one or two of Ruark's African works.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by JBARTRAM
I'd start with gifting an NRA membership and get the ball rolling with the mag. Kids love getting chit in the mail addressed SPECIFICALLY to them.

Fur-Fish-Game might be one. It's not written and edited all highfalutin' (unlike some of the magazines someone near and dear to a lot of us writes in/for eek grin ). Anyway, FFG was certainly a jumping-in point for me while in -or somewhat before- junior high. I think it's a good fit for boys; my boys have seemed to concur.
My favorite magazine as a kid. Not written from the standpoint of guided big money hunts Much more nuts and bolts-how to hunt squirrels, how to trap muskrats. How to sharpen a knife. For a kid, it's good useable info. We used it heavily to keep an eye on the fur market. Many of us in my area would band together to take our furs in all at the same time and get a little better payout on them.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For something lighthearted with the outdoors in mind, pick up any of Patrick McManus's books. If you can't find a laugh or two or twenty by reading McManus, you just don't have a funny bone. The Night The Bear Ate Goombaw is my all time favorite. Rancid Crabtree and the gang will have you laughing so hard you'd swear you'll pop a rib.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Old Man and the Boy- Robert Ruark
Jungle Book- Kipling

Any of the Capstick series for African adventure

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gruff,

Might I suggest this as an introduction to life for the lad? 😀

[Linked Image]

Also, seeing as most kids these days are more interested in online content rather than physical media perhaps something else is in order.

To truly do the lad a favor, to instruct him in not just firearms and hunting, but rather LIFE, and to instill all manner of suaveness, plorability, and erudition...in short, to mold him into a philosopher king that Plato spoke of, you would do well to point him toward the following:

What Does .223 AI Mean? (The BTE)

So Now That We Know What .223 AI Means (The NBTE)

Is The .223 AI Enough Gun? (The VBTE)

You're welcome! laugh

P.S. Come down and visit sometime you old goat!

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks for all the input guys!

MAGA
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,428 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.