Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I tried the "search" and was honored with overly relevant posts such as "Trump vs other billionaires" So, while I know it's in here someplace I'll ask and hope for the best.
The money seems comparable but are the rifles? Or are there better options in a crf? I prefer wood and blued metal and I am not fond of detachable magazines. Let's "under $1500 msrp".

Thanks in advance

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's an old similar discussion. Focus on stainless; but, should be relevant as actions are the same:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4284122/1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have stainless versions of both rifles in 308. My Winchester is the EW version in an Edge stock. I like both, but if I could only keep one it'd be the Winchester. Both rifles are potentially equally accurate, but I shoot the slightly heavier Winchester with more consistency. The smallest 3 shot group I've ever fired with any rifle was with the Kimber, but day in, day out I'm more consistent with the Winchester. And it is light enough to not be a burden.

The Kimber ain't for sale though. It fills a niche for those times when every ounce counts.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by JMR40
I have stainless versions of both rifles in 308. My Winchester is the EW version in an Edge stock. I like both, but if I could only keep one it'd be the Winchester. Both rifles are potentially equally accurate, but I shoot the slightly heavier Winchester with more consistency. The smallest 3 shot group I've ever fired with any rifle was with the Kimber, but day in, day out I'm more consistent with the Winchester. And it is light enough to not be a burden.

The Kimber ain't for sale though. It fills a niche for those times when every ounce counts.

Pretty much what JMR40 said! My Montana is in .308 and the EW is 300WSM. I can't imagine selling either one. Going to be dang near impossible to beat how great the Kimber is to carry though.....

Good Shooting!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kimber mo betta.

If ya gotta carry it a long way.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check stock fit to you! I found the short action Montana's don't fit me well, the long actions do though. I owned a long action M70 EW in a Micky Hunter's Compact Edge and for ME it was the best fit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just re read and see where you are looking at the 84 wood and blue, still I'd make sure I spent some time in a store handling each stock to see which I liked better. I'm betting there will be a difference you can feel.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Now if I can just find a store that has either in stock I'd be a winner

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Have you tried Whitakers? Would be my first call...

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Winchester is the EW version in an Edge stock.

Do you know the weight on this? Thanks

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have a similar situation. My Kimber 280 a.i. vs my Win 70 Classic Stainless 300 WSM. Each fills a niche. Shot to shot, I am more accurate with the Model 70. However, my Kimber fills a huge niche and is plenty accurate in my hands.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Teeder

Most edge are 22-28 ounces.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You didn't say if you were comparing the Kimber to the FWT. My FWT in 270 is about a pound heavier than my Super America in 308. Not quite a valid comparison because one is LA and the other SA. Loaded you are talking 8lb vs 7lb. If the weight matters to you go with the Kimber. If it is not critical just go with whichever you like best.
Either way you can't go wrong.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Teeder

As pictured with a Leupold 2.5-8X36 in Talleys weight is 7 lbs 5 oz. I find this to be a good compromise. My Kimber is 5 lbs, 15 oz with the same scope and mounts.

[Linked Image]

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
R
rdd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have had a few Kimber rifles in the past and they all shot well but I did have to learn how to shoot them. Never had one in 7mm 08. So this summer I purchased a Winchester mdl 70 in 7mm 08 and finally got the chance to shoot it this last Friday. With factory ammo and off of the bench with factory set trigger,(has to be over 5 lbs), it shot very well. Every group was under 1". Kind of surprised by that. Didn't have to hold it any special way or anything.

If you get a Kimber I hope you are lucky like I have been and never get a problem rifle like a lot of others have had to deal with. I have less in my Winchester than any of the Kimber rifles and this one shoots just as good.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

I have a similar situation. My Kimber 280 a.i. vs my Win 70 Classic Stainless 300 WSM. Each fills a niche. Shot to shot, I am more accurate with the Model 70. However, my Kimber fills a huge niche and is plenty accurate in my hands.

That's a really nice pair in my mind BigSky.

In fact, I just picked up a Kimber Classic Select Stainless in 300WSM on the board here to go with my Kimber Classic Select Stainless in 280AI.

I think those two can cover a lot of ground.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go with what works the best for you. That's the answer you are looking for.

I've owned both and for what it's worth, the Kimber is what I'm keeping.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As pictured with a Leupold 2.5-8X36 in Talleys weight is 7 lbs 5 oz.

Thanks! What did it weigh before the stock swap?

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I own a dozen Model 70s and am driving 1000 miles to try a couple of Kimbers. My Model 70s run from 7.5 pounds with scope and sling to about 9.5 with scope and sling. I am very fond though of even my heaviest Model 70 a Super Grade in .243 with a 22 inch barrel. I have a Model 700 with 24 inch barrel in .280 that is lighter! Still the Super Grade .243 has a tiger striped stock and is amazingly accurate!

7mm08 is to me an almost perfect caliber. Kimber Super Americas look really good to me but I have never actually seen one to hold it, just in photos. The weight is certainly attractive!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
On my recommendation, my buddy purchased a Win M70 Featherweight in a 7-08. I called the local Sportsmen's and had the base, rings, and scope mounted and bore sighted.

The rifle shoots lights out sub-MOA with factory ammo. If a Kimber would have delivered tighter groups, the price difference and his skill level would not have justify the added cost. Kimber has been know to have a 100+ round break-in period.

JMO

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,568
Posts18,491,848
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.