Print Thread
Hop To
R
RogerD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I found this older model 70 and even though it has the G&H mount it looks nicely done. I'm more interested in the safety and if the gun is a transition type,serial 7333x Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also thoughts on a value.

2.5 Lymam Alaskan, 30'06 cal

p.s. The receiver is D&T was this originally done?

and I might add that the G&H mount doen't bother me,in fact I like this one.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I don't understand your question re: safety. That installation is highly unlikely to have been done by Winchester, and no they didn't d/t the sides of those receivers. There's a good chance that G&H mount was installed by G&H themselves. Their protocol was/is to leave the screw heads and tapered pins long and flush them up to the surface of the mount leaving a seamless installation. Not many gunsmiths will go to that trouble.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
RogerD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I don't understand your question re: safety. That installation is highly unlikely to have been done by Winchester, and no they didn't d/t the sides of those receivers. There's a good chance that G&H mount was installed by G&H themselves. Their protocol was/is to leave the screw heads and tapered pins long and flush them up to the surface of the mount leaving a seamless installation. Not many gunsmiths will go to that trouble.

I meant is the safety the clamshell type.

I do agree the mount was installed by G&H,most you see have been bubba'd and look crappy. The receiver rings have been tapped for scope mounts. thanks

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Interesting period piece.What kind of $ is the seller looking for?

R
RogerD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by patbrennan

$1200 I think the lyman alaskan is worth $400,maybe more.

My mistake this rifle is not D&T'd on the top of the receiver. I have seen some 1947 rifles that were. It is drilled on the LH side rear for a Lyman target though I believe.

It looks to have the clover leaf tang and the correct small safety.

IC B2

R
RogerD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
A RKI friend that I messaged had this reply:

It is a "Transition Model". There were no pre war transitions, just post war. They ran in the 1947-48 timeframe. The unique aspects are the rounded rear receiver ring, that was typically d/t'd for scope bases,(the long magnum actions and Target rifle actions that were clip slotted were not d/t'd. at this time). Some other features are the "cloverleaf" tang and "clam shell safety". I do not recall ever seeing a transition rifle that was not d/t'd unless it was a magnum action, or target model.
Roger, it is more than I would pay, but then again, I am not a fan of side mounts. The Alaskans are worth at least $200. That said, the gun has very little collector value but should make a great shooter. The action on the this rifle was originally factory d/t'd on rear ring.

For 1200 I don't think it is that over priced,so I think it will be a nice shooter in my collection.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Nice. A real transition....love the safety. I'm a big fan of the oldies rather than the (more functional) modern: wings (my favorite), the clambshell and the Tildens.

Series II receivers (transitions) '47-'48:
Std actions: 60,500 to 87,700
H&H Magnum: 63,200 to 121,700

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 10/20/15.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow that is a rare bird in pretty nice shape. Transition models were just that, "transition" models. An undrilled smooth rear bridge in a standard caliber (non-H&H) is a bit of a rarity. The gun may have come just the way it sits.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Just for interest's sake, I have a cloverleaf tang manufactured in 48, new safety, drilled and tapped. Is that still a series 2 receiver (transition) or is there another handle for it?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RogerD
Originally Posted by patbrennan

$1200 I think the lyman alaskan is worth $400,maybe more.

My mistake this rifle is not D&T'd on the top of the receiver. I have seen some 1947 rifles that were. It is drilled on the LH side rear for a Lyman target though I believe.

It looks to have the clover leaf tang and the correct small safety.

I'm guessing it may have come originally with the Lyman target.

Where's BSA, Winpoor, and GSP?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

R
RogerD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Wow that is a rare bird in pretty nice shape. Transition models were just that, "transition" models. An undrilled smooth rear bridge in a standard caliber (non-H&H) is a bit of a rarity. The gun may have come just the way it sits.

My mistake,it is D&T'd on the fr & rear bridge. I ordered it so it will be here late next week. smile

p.s. looks like a oil finish with fine checkering and maybe a low comb stock, the bluing looks to be the "charcoal" type also. The fine details of a transition type?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Personally, I think the G&H setup adds to its value not detracts. A finer QD mount you won't find, especially if you add a Lyman 48 to the mix. I have a couple setups like that and find that I can take those scopes on and off the guns repeatedly with no material shift in POI. Since I prefer to hunt (here in Eastern woodlands) with the aperture sights, I carry the scopes separately and only occasionally install them when out in the field, with the firm knowledge that when in position on the guns they will deliver pinpoint accuracy. I feel they greatly improve the versatility of a hunting rig.

Figure 200+ for the scope and another 2-300 for the mount, plus another couple hundred for mounting one on a gun if it doesn't already have one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We passed on those heavy M70's when they made them. If it were a 300 HH then it would be wanted.

The standard grade was too heavy for an 06 if you were going to carry it.

That G&H mount ruins the 70. They made top mounts then. The scope is old stuff as well at 2 1/2 X.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Hmmm. It worked 60 years ago and still works today. To each his own, but personally I will listen all day long to, and consider, opposing viewpoints only from people who are equally open minded.

R
RogerD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Hmmm. It worked 60 years ago and still works today. To each his own, but personally I will listen all day long to, and consider, opposing viewpoints only from people who are equally open minded.

Since coming across this rifle and doing some research,the G&H mount was not uncommon for the transition models. Some like them and some don't. I find the gun very appealing as to the workmanship,style,and quality. I can buy cookie cutter pre-64's all day long,but this rifle you won't see everyday.

It's good to hear the G&H mount worked so well and the 9 pound weight is not out of the ordinary. imho

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
As far as weight goes I like a lightweight rifle as much as the next guy. But remember, all those GI's and Marines who carried 10 pound (fully loaded with sling) M1's all day through mud, rain, and snow and got used to it pretty quick.

That Lyman Alaskan was advanced for its day, and while not being up to the optical standards of premium scopes of today, are still non-too-shabby in that regard.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
One generation back most every rifle was close to that weight. Our fathers/grandfathers packed them a lot farther than the average guy today does, and they seemed to be able to get it done in spite of that!
It is not the latest, or lightest, but that is not the point of hunting with one set up like that.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,348
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.