Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Myself and my father fire handle(OIDabble)are making a pilgrimage to the great state of AZ for a week starting on Dec 5th.

We are flying into Tucson and making a trip to Sierra Vista to meet Crossfire, when he has had enough of a Northern MN logger and his wayward son. We will try to see what we can of the state. I know my father and myself would love to meet as many fire members that we can during our trip.

This is a special trip for me as it is the first time taking a true father son vacation with my dad. I am very excited that it has come together and want to thank Greg for being that catalyst.

I wanted to get this out there as soon as we finalized the flights so there was time to figure out somethings to see and hopefully people to meet.

Mack

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
get him to drive you a few miles south to see the fence, among other things.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Therer is a lot of REAL historical stuff in SE and south central AZ, and Greg knows a lot of it, if not all. Tucson seems to have become sucky but there are some good things to see nearby.

The Chiricahuas are over east of Greg's place - excellent southwest mountain environs - and Cochise territory abounds. Not much else in southern AZ except desert until you get all the way west to Yuma and not a lot of there there.

If you have time and driving interest, come on over to our place and see some of the NM high country - but know that we often do have snow and some cold in early Dec.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Lots to see in southern AZ. Beautiful country with LOTS of history. I will be in Tucson around that time, I think. I will let you know.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whatever you do in that state be sure to take a pic or two of "The rifle"
and post them. With it in you Dads hands.

Looks like a lot of work/time had to occur for "the rifle" to get back in shooting shape.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Wtxj oh there will be pics of "the rifle". I may even get the old man to prune his chin whiskers for them pics but ya never know.

I can't wait to hear the stories being told between him and Greg. I think it will be a whole lot of me listening and that takes some doing.

Mack

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Right on. Mack5511 (Jim) is good company. He even turned my wife into a "wine gourmet."

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
be sure to go to the confederate air force museum(under a different name now, can't say confederate, worth the price of admission. Also the scrap yard at davis for all those planes. Also a nike missle site that is open to the public.
There is some really beautiful country between nogales over to patagonia, sonotia in the mountains. But i would be careful in those areas. Some wineries in the area too.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
if you got wheels it would also be a mistake to just stay down there. People often have an impression of just desert in arizona which isn't true. Run up north on the eastern side and see the trees etc. Further you get away from phx/tucson, the more you will see the real arizona.
you can get up in the territory when zane grey, lous lamour wrote about in their novels.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 10/23/15.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Ron,

We lived in Kingman and Williams for part of my 10th grade year. I also have family the lived for many years in Prescott and Wickenburg. This is not our first trip to the great state of AZ. That being said it has been close to 20 years since I have had the pleasure and I have never been to Tuscon so any and all advice is welcome. We will have a rental car and some time to kill so I am sure we will venture. I remember as a kid going to Jerome.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mack - good suggestion by Ron - it is the Pima Air Museum in Tucson. Very worthwhile if you are into aircraft and history.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
mack,

PM me for some advice on S. AZ.

Like I said, I should be back down there by then.

I hope your dad enjoys the work cross did.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/index.php?pg=1

"Duck and Cover!" Bomb shelters, the Berlin Wall, weekly tests of the Emergency Broadcast System, the piercing sounds of air raid sirens, and the Space Race. These are the hallmarks of the "Cold War" era.

The Titan Missile Museum showcases the dramatic vestiges of the Cold War between the U.S. and former Soviet Union and provides a vivid education about the history of nuclear conflict-a history of keeping the peace.

At the Titan Missile Museum, near Tucson, Arizona, visitors journey through time to stand on the front line of the Cold War. This preserved Titan II missile site, officially known as complex 571-7, is all that remains of the 54 Titan II missile sites that were on alert across the United States from 1963 to 1987.

Able to launch from its underground silo in just 58 seconds, the Titan II was capable of delivering a 9-megaton nuclear warhead to targets more than 6300 miles (10,000 km) away in about 30 minutes. Nowhere else in the world can visitors get this close to an intercontinental ballistic missile in its operational environment. This one-of-a kind museum gives visitors a rare look at the technology used by the United States to deter nuclear war. What was once one of America's most top secret places is now a National Historic Landmark, fulfilling its new mission of bringing Cold War history to life for millions of visitors from around the world.

The museum is open every day of the year except for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

The museum opens at 8:45 am.

One-Hour guided tours of the missile site are offered on the hour beginning at 9:00 am, with the last tour of the day beginning at 4:00 pm. Additional one-hour guided tours of the missile site are also offered on the half hour at peak demand times on the weekends, holidays, and during the months of January through April. Call (520) 625-7736 for information on the daily tour schedule.

Groups are welcome. Reservations are required for general admission group tours (10 or more paid visitors paying in one transaction). Please call the visitor reservations line at (520) 625-7736 to make your reservation. For school groups and educational programs, please see the Education section of this web site.

Tours include a six-story view of the Titan II missile in its silo, a visit to the underground launch control center, and a simulated missile launch.

Walking shoes are required (no heels please).
Food and beverages, except bottled water, are prohibited.
Smoking is not permitted inside museum buildings or while on the guided tour. A smoking area is provided.
The underground portion of the missile site is accessed by a flight of 55 steps in the Access Portal.
Weapons are prohibited on the guided tours. Secure storage is available if you are traveling with a weapon.
Children 15 years old and younger must be accompanied by an adult.

The Titan Missile Museum is an ADA compliant facility. Handicapped parking is provided and all restrooms are wheelchair accessible. An elevator is available to access the underground portion of the missile site for those who have limited mobility or who need special assistance.

The Museum Store is open during regular Museum hours, and features top-quality museum, rocket and flight-related gifts, apparel, books, models, and educational toys. Museum admission is not required to shop in the Store, and sales proceeds support the mission of the Titan Missile Museum.

Non-commercial photography and video recording are permitted. Commercial photography is not allowed without written permission. To arrange a commercial photo or video recording session, please contact the Museum at (520) 625-7736.

Animals, except for Service Animals, are not allowed in the museum buildings or on the missile site. It is also illegal in Arizona to leave your pet in your vehicle if doing so is likely to cause physical injury to your pet or result in its death. If you are traveling with your pet, please ask our friendly admissions staff about using our small wire crate for your pet while you are touring the museum. It will accommodate a medium sized dog and we have a sheltered shady area for them to stay.

Tours are limited to 25 visitors per tour.

Call (520) 625-7736 or send an email to [email protected]

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Titan missile museum

caves

and some really good italian (by reservation only)...

So AZ is great!

Plus, did I mention the scenery?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bisbee! Coffee, beer, hippies, and the Copper Queen Mine Tour!

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Bisbee is great. That tour is something fun for those who have never been underground. It is better if you happen to be with someone who knows something about mining, geology, ore bodies, etc.

Beautiful country in So AZ. Don't forget those Coues deer!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Jim,

sure hope you and your dad have a great time down there...

certainly has the makings of a memorable trip...

and for you Arizona boys that haven't met Jim... let me tell ya... he's real good folk!

had dinner with him when he was up in Potland for an assignment... real gentleman!

be well worth your time if you get the opportunity to meet him...

and I am sure his dad is as pleasurable to be around...

from what Jim told me, his dad and Greg have become real good friends over this project...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Bisbee is great. That tour is something fun for those who have never been underground. It is better if you happen to be with someone who knows something about mining, geology, ore bodies, etc.

Beautiful country in So AZ. Don't forget those Coues deer!

hmmmm?

So it's best to have an expert along on those tours? confused

And yes, don't forget those Coues deer. Tell them I'm coming back!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yeah, it helps. Sometimes. Mostly. Maybe.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ahahhh!

I think?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,227
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.