Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For the record, I do not know anybody involved. What I do know is that they were lucky things turned out the way they did. I would have needed a bit more than a shooter to settle down.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
pucker factor of 100! bet they are still water tight.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Trying to figure out WTF they fillmed it with. Was he holding a keyhole over the lens of the camera the whole time?

Me

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
some cameras have weird choosable settings that give it that weird look.

Right now I'm fighting a damn moultrie game cam that downloads pics on the ipad, as it downloads they are normal but once saved they have that same f'd up look...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hey, we're overweight.

No, this is the same weight we took off with last year.

ok.

Takes off.

Yep, about the same place we crashed last year grin

Lucky guys... didn't look good when those trees out to the side weren't getting much lower.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Everyone came out okay though. And with an open checkbook, looks like the plane could fly again. Some wing damage there but not too severe.

I witnessed a 185 crash only a couple hundred yards from me, not something I would want to experience again. You know what the pilots' first words were as he bashed open the door and climbed out of the upside down, bent-in-two former aircraft as I reached it?

"I just crashed a plane in Alaska and lived"!!

God as my witness. And I told that to the NTSB investigator too.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TheKuskokid
Everyone came out okay though. And with an open checkbook, looks like the plane could fly again. Some wing damage there but not too severe.

I witnessed a 185 crash only a couple hundred yards from me, not something I would want to experience again. You know what the pilots' first words were as he bashed open the door and climbed out of the upside down, bent-in-two former aircraft as I reached it?

"I just crashed a plane in Alaska and lived"!!

God as my witness. And I told that to the NTSB investigator too.

I'd suspect my words would be more along the lines of "F- me"

Me

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Hey, we're overweight.

No, this is the same weight we took off with last year.

ok.

Takes off.

Yep, about the same place we crashed last year grin

Lucky guys... didn't look good when those trees out to the side weren't getting much lower.

Thats what I was thinking. No climb rate at all.

I'd have aborted it a lot sooner. Then again I would not have pushed the weight issue either or at least made another loop around to get on plane asap for the long run up. What do i know though... I"m only about to start flight school in the next year... lol.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
[
I'd have aborted it a lot sooner. What do i know though... I"m only about to start flight school in the next year... lol.

Having been flying for over 40 years and 14,000+ hours I would have also elected to abort a lot sooner as well.

You can learn how to fly in a couple of weeks --- but learning when not to fly is an ongoing lesson.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sooo what kind of trouble is the pilot in with his insurance company?

I'd be curious as to how they got the plane down/out and back into the air (eventually)

Me

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That video perfectly illustrates how foolish it is to try to save a nickel - or a bucketful- and realizing that saving those nickels so often has a very high price. (If you know you should have an extra box of ammo, and you failed to bring one along for some reason…..yes, that box of Core-lokt ammo in the village store for the princely sum of $47.99 will seem a very good deal if you need it……or that quart of motor oil priced at $11.99…….or the extra five gallons of gas at $7.50/gallon. You gotta think ahead.

……..moose were never meant to fly either; it's still rather amazing that humans can….but they're a lot smaller.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
most times mooses have to fly in very tiny parts. LOL

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
…sometimes it pays to be a gentleman and let the moose have your seat too. smile

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
yep. Beats being seated and then someone piling parts and antlers and such on top of you for the muddy runway out.. LOL.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 458Win
You can learn how to fly in a couple of weeks --- but learning when not to fly is an ongoing lesson.

That seems like good advice for anyone planning to grab a yoke.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd sure think knowing when and were to be able to land and take off, and all the variables that go with it, are the key things. And obviously when the conditions either mother nature or man made IE weight, fuel, mechanical, lift etc... you must pay attention.

Headed back to ANC this fall, we hear a buzz, look up and with a ceiling of about 500 feet, here comes a plane, following the alcan.... Not my azz. No way no how. At least he could land if need be on the raod.

I"m sure if I get that far, we certainly will be slow getting places and slow leaving at times. But rather that, than crash even if we survive a crash.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One member of the family was flying a 207 back to Kotzebue a 'few' years back when a rod let go and "perforated" the side of a jug. Windshield was somewhat obscured wink by the oil wash that commenced. He decided to turn around and head back to the vil since he was still farther from Kotz....until he realized the Red Dog haul road was an even better option. He followed that until his oil pressure started to decline, then landed on it. Since it was a commercial flight, he had to insist that his passengers return to their seats to pray - if they wished to continue- rather than kneel as a couple of them were. Not his first rodeo; I never had any interest in driving airplanes. smile

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Friend and I participated in a club navex. Aircraft nominated by the club was a Cessna 150. We are not overly big guys, but when we did the weight/balance for the exercise, we found we couldn't carry sufficient fuel. Used a 172 instead. Wonder how many others didn't bother to check?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd feel pretty comfy in the back seat with a 500 foot ceiling, if the guy in the front seat was someone I trusted. No offense to you Jeff, but you won't ever have the time/experience to fall into that category. Guys do this all day, every day, and plenty of them still get into trouble. They are available for hire, at a substantially reduced rate compared to owning/maintaining your own plane, not to mention your skillset. As a bonus, you won't be tied to a plane and wondering if something is going to chew it, flip it over, etc while you are away.

I still get the bug every so often and shop around for planes (I've had the license since 96), but it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense once you start doing the math.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"m aware of the time thing... got that. Hopefully have 20 years to play with that up there, after having 5-7 years of it down here first.

Buying isn't a for sure yet, I konw all the problems as I've been around flying folks for a LONG time... owners, renters, etc....

I own to many boats... if that tells you something. Grins.

I can say this..... 500 foot ceiling ain't me... And likely never will be.

And your math is spot on! Still probably won't sway me now... something I wanted to do forever, and now I'd have a reason to do it... never really had any reason down here.

Obviously if we do, it will have to be done with expendable income and that may be the biggest factor. LOL.

I doubt anyone rents bush planes. LOL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (44mc, 3333vl, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,540 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,766
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.