Print Thread
Hop To
R
rush1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I have a H&R huntsman .50 cal muzzleloader that I loaned to my brother last year. I just got it back a couple days ago to find that it has been loaded since last season. I can't get the breech plug out and there is a lot of rust. Is there anything I can do to save my gun or is it lost?

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You really can't tell until you take it apart. Soak the breech in breakfree or some other penetrator, take the plug out, and scrub the bore. If it's pitted, I'd try some Dyna bore coat.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tough to say but it should be OK. Being loaded for a year is not a big deal. Not being cleaned, and being loaded over residue is a "small" problem. I would also try soaking it is water overnight, water breaks carbon well, then try the plug. Next step would be the oil for the corrosion on the plug if it does not break free with the water. I am assuming to shot out the old load. Good luck.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I would use a ball puller and get the old charge out of the barrel first of all. Then, if the soaking doesn't free up the breech plug, you can safely go to the next step and apply a torch to break things loose. Some corrosion in the chamber area of the breech isn't a big issue, rust the rest of the way up the bore (if there is any) could (or could not) be problematic.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Kroil, if you have any, is a dandy penetrator, and will kill the powder charge.

There are plenty of instances where M/Ls have been loaded for decades and fired when someone bothered to try.

The very last thing I'd do is use a torch, though. I'd let Kroil do it's thing and get in there and loosen things up.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
More than once I've left mine loaded over the winter and for up to a year at a time (being forgetful, not intentionally whistle). The bore is in fine shape, though was always clean when initially loaded. Soaking the breech in Kroil would be my first attempt at getting it apart after either pulling the charge or shooting it out...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah. Have your brother buy you a replacement and give him the mess he made. Let him figure it out.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Yeah. Have your brother buy you a replacement and give him the mess he made. Let him figure it out.

I'm surprised your brother didn't offer this. Did he realize it?

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Could very well be especially if he fired it and reloaded it leaving residue in the bbl. you have several issues one it needs to be unloaded. Then needs to be cleaned and inspected. If the barrel is unobstructed you might just shoot it out. Then you can do the soak with kroil and see how it cleans up.if I was going to try and shoot it out I'd use a nipple pick to make sure you have a clear path.

Last edited by bangeye; 10/27/15.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Kroil, if you have any, is a dandy penetrator, and will kill the powder charge.

There are plenty of instances where M/Ls have been loaded for decades and fired when someone bothered to try.

The very last thing I'd do is use a torch, though. I'd let Kroil do it's thing and get in there and loosen things up.

Good Advice.

FIRST - I'd try to SHOOT it. May take 2-3 caps/primers and a nipple pick as mentioned.

Don't ASSUME anything.

Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner

Yea another reason to not lend guns. He owes you a rifle and you can let him deal with the crap he tried to leave you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
fine steel wool and oil for the rust once plug is removed.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (22kHornet, 25aught6, 222ND, 10Glocks, 160user, 257Bob, 64 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,379
Posts18,527,486
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.