Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rdd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Looking to get a good .243 for my daughter to deer hunt with and I am considering a Savage. I have heard great things about the new Weather Warrior that has the accu stock but would like some real world info on this rifle.

Others I am looking at are the Tikka, Winchester and Ruger. Please feel free to give your advice

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My son's 243 is a Ruger.

1. I've always loved the Ruger ergonomics.
2. Twisted well enough that it does stabilize the 105 Amax here at 600 feet.
3. Mag box is long - I seat the amax kissing the lands and I have plenty of room in the box to chase yet.

Me

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
A: the rifle needs to fit her. Many full length synthetic stocks are not as easy to shorten as a wood stock. You can shorten the stock now and add length to it later with spacers if needed.

B: it is best if she likes the rifle.

C: don't over think it. If she won't hunt in wet weather a stainless rifle really isn't needed.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A lot of wholesalers are closing out the Marlin XS7 youth models in 243 for under $300 and they are, for the most part, just a more attractive clone of the Savage 110 series.

Around here, the Wal-Marts that sell guns have a Remington 700 ADL youth package in 243 for $377.

Fit and weight are important considerations, since many young people don't have much upper body strength.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Might want to look at the Lady Hunter offered by Savage. The stock, which resembles one from Weatherby, is supposed to fit female shooters better.

IC B2

R
rdd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for all of the advice so far. I do know how important fit of the rifle is for not only the young but all users. Fit will be one of the top items to consider when I make a purchase. Quality will be another top consideration. I just don't want to pass up a very nice rifle for her to own and use for a very long time based on price. I am not opposed to spending around $1k for a rifle that she will enjoy and be proud to own. I know from some of the rifles I have owned in the past that just because it cost a lot that doesn't make it a great or even good rifle and I have had cheap ones that were cheap for a reason.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When my daughter wanted to start hunting, I put together a nice rifle for her. She shot 1 deer and hasn't hunted with it or even shot it on the range since. If you are anywhere near Omaha, I'd be happy to let your daughter shoot the XS7 Youth in 243 that I have. PM me if you're intersted.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Savage $75 rebate on the M11 Lady Hunter till Dec 31st..

OR......just buy a Tikka....... grin

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11Lady

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
You may want to look at the TC Venture Compact as well. I found a really good deal on one I couldn't pass up, paid $299 les 20% plus a mail in $75 rebate. In the end I'll have $180 into this gun. I wish more manufacturers would start including spacers and pads on their youth guns like TC. It's like having 2 guns in one really.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many women find the monte carlo stocks to be more comfortable than straight stocks. The ultimate would be a Kilimanjaro artemis, but who can afford that? The savage lady hunter is nice. The weatherby vanguard compact is a good choice as well as it has spacers for LOP and a stock design that fits women well.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stock fit rules. 260 is right about the Mossberg X7s, however. I've worked up 7-08s in Rem 7, Sav 10 Accu and X7 Moss -- the Moss perked up the fastest, the Sav next, the Rems took the most chasing around.
But they all shot great in the end.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have the savage rifle you are referring to in 30 06. It's very accurate and reliable. This rifle in 243 would be a good choice for your daughter.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Stock fit rules. 260 is right about the Mossberg X7s, however. I've worked up 7-08s in Rem 7, Sav 10 Accu and X7 Moss -- the Moss perked up the fastest, the Sav next, the Rems took the most chasing around.
But they all shot great in the end.

MARLIN X7s, NOT MOSSBERG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

H
H
I would not touch a new remingtion trash in my eyes. Savage has surpassed remingtion also looking to get my son a savage inn243

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Savages are currently, and ALWAYS have been; cheap rifles for a reason. What everyone online "knows" is: "they are great shooting". But know one passes on the rest of that story. They have absolutely ATROCIOUS QC. Despite Salvage currently asking much more for them, there is a very real reason why they have only been $300 rifles for a few decades.
For those of us who have built/traded/lived with them for many decades, what we originally said was:

For $300, you CAN get a great shooting barrel, that shoots with much higher priced rifles. The odds are, you'll get something else, that will require some amount of work.

I have lived with many dozens of savages of several decades, I wouldn't buy one, with your money.

I'm a firm believer in the theory of " If it bleeds, I can kill it".
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My daughter has a 700 youth package. The scope sucks but that's about all that is really wrong with it. She got it at the height of the trigger recall so I swapped a Timney in it as I didn't want to send it out for months waiting on a replacement.

It has functioned flawlessly, shot the smallest group I have ever seen fired at 100 yards in my entire life, and instantly became the most accrate rifle in the safe. I had to go out and buy a Tikka I didn't need just to close the gap. In the future, she still has a Remington and can build upon it as much as her and my pocketbook can stand.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hunterdan199
I would not touch a new remingtion trash in my eyes. Savage has surpassed remingtion also looking to get my son a savage inn243

I own a bunch of old Remingtons. I used to think like hunterdan about new Remingtons. I had a few bad experiences. Recently, I picked a new SPS in 260 with the "new" 8 twist barrel. Just had to try it. So far the gun has been very reliable and I was able to get the trigger down to a crisp 2.5 lbs with some work. Shoots tiny little groups with 140 NABs. I just may try another Remington before long.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
A lot of wholesalers are closing out the Marlin XS7 youth models in 243 for under $300 and they are, for the most part, just a more attractive clone of the Savage 110 series.

Around here, the Wal-Marts that sell guns have a Remington 700 ADL youth package in 243 for $377.

Fit and weight are important considerations, since many young people don't have much upper body strength.

I have a Marlin XS7 (stainless) in 243 that I picked up for $299 (not a youth model). Stuck a Weaver on it and made it the truck gun/loaner. Darn little gun shoots 100 grn SGKs, 85 Noslers and 85 TSXs real well. The trigger isn't awful, either.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Why not a Savage? Very poor consistency/QC.

Buy what fits her and she likes best, as long as it's not a Remington. If it _is_ a Remmy, make sure you replace the unsafely-designed / -made trigger with something else.

R
rdd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
No Remington for me. I do like them and have a full custom built by High Score in 7 mag but I would rather spend the money on a Kimber than a bottom end Remington and fix it up. Right now I am looking hard at the Tikka or the Winchester Ultimate Shadow

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (257_X_50, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 25classic, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 67 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,400
Posts18,506,951
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.