-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Change out the stock, I got the B&C for my 243 and it made it feel much better. So now I can live with it and its ability to put 3 into .310 @ 100 yards.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting" Townsend Whelen

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Interesting out of all these post only one person complained about not getting good accuracy...I might have to try a Tikka someday !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dollar to a donut it wasnt sitting all the way on the lug or a scope base fastener was hitting the bolt.

Have seen both.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm not interested in any Tikka rifles. That's because of where I hunt and what they I need my rifles to do.
If all I hunted were small varmits and the conditions were pleasant, one would be a good or even great choice.
But I don't do that kind of hunting. My guns need to fuction under constant dusty conditions. They may need to fuction perfectly after hunting under these conditions for many days then endure rain and freezing temperatures. Or really cold temperatures.
Rifles with the Tikka style extractors and ejectors have given me lots of fits over the years. No, they weren't Tikkas, they were Remingtons.
Another area that I've seen or had problems with are triggers and safeties. Usually cheap rifles have triggers that are hard to clean and can't be adjusted much if at all.
The rifles I prefer all have open trigger designs that are fully adjustable. These come, or have come, on rifles made by Ruger, Winchester and some of the Mausers.
It isn't an accident that Rugers and pre-64 style Winchesters are popular the world over by knowledgable hunters that hunt under togh conditions.
As to accuracy, I like it as much as anyone. But experience has taught me that even a 2.5 MOA rifle and load will work. But if the bolt stop fails, or the trigger goes sour on an extended hunting trip, I'm SOL. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
I'm not interested in any Tikka rifles. That's because of where I hunt and what they I need my rifles to do.
If all I hunted were small varmits and the conditions were pleasant, one would be a good or even great choice.
But I don't do that kind of hunting. My guns need to fuction under constant dusty conditions. They may need to fuction perfectly after hunting under these conditions for many days then endure rain and freezing temperatures. Or really cold temperatures.
Rifles with the Tikka style extractors and ejectors have given me lots of fits over the years. No, they weren't Tikkas, they were Remingtons.
Another area that I've seen or had problems with are triggers and safeties. Usually cheap rifles have triggers that are hard to clean and can't be adjusted much if at all.
The rifles I prefer all have open trigger designs that are fully adjustable. These come, or have come, on rifles made by Ruger, Winchester and some of the Mausers.
It isn't an accident that Rugers and pre-64 style Winchesters are popular the world over by knowledgable hunters that hunt under togh conditions.
As to accuracy, I like it as much as anyone. But experience has taught me that even a 2.5 MOA rifle and load will work. But if the bolt stop fails, or the trigger goes sour on an extended hunting trip, I'm SOL. E

E (Rocklin), the fact that you keep posting at all is rather amazing. That you come off as an expert, or attempt to do so, is even more amazing.

You'd think that someone who NARROWLY avoided prison time for back shooting an unarmed man, then planting evidence to try to make it "righteous" would STFU and NOT make a spectacle of themselves.

Of course, you've done the opposite here for years; first in an attempt to paint yourself as a retired LEO (you didn't retire, you were fired and never worked law enforcement after that again) and handgun/CCW expert (you just got that privilege back after MANY years of being banned). Now, you're pontificating on rifles and hunting, espousing what "knowledgable hunters that hunt under togh conditions" (hint, learn to spell) use.

What experience should have taught you is that you probably aren't to be trusted around firearms and that you certainly are no "expert" on anything, save shooting unarmed men in the back and then failing miserably to plant enough evidence to get away with it.

People who want advice around here, and just about anywhere, generally want it from people who actually know what they are talking about and aren't simply making it up. That would rule you out, and there's another hint there - if you can catch it.

For the record, in case folks are interested:

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/White%20Materials/San%20Quentin/San%20Quentin%20312.pdf

http://stanforddailyarchive.com/cgi...0&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN-------

A little more (pay attention to details):

Bad Cop: Convicting a cop, nearly impossible... California - It's been more than three decades since a police officer faced criminal charges for fatally shooting someone in Santa Clara County.

As a county grand jury considers this week whether to charge a San Jose officer in the July shooting death of a Vietnamese woman, the long-ago case of former officer Rocklin Woolley illustrates the long odds involved in trying an officer for killing in the line of duty.

"It's always hard for a jury to convict an officer, particularly in our county, where the public has a high opinion of police,'' said Dave Davies, a retired prosecutor who unsuccessfully sought to convict Woolley of felony manslaughter.

Woolley's case bore many similarities to the July 13 shooting of Bich Cau Thi Tran by San Jose police officer Chad Marshall. Both shootings drew public outrage and involved victims who were not white. The officers said they acted in self-defense and were accused of overreacting with deadly force to a harmless threat.

But what is especially telling about the failed prosecution of Woolley is that in some ways, his behavior seems more difficult to justify than that of Marshall, the officer in the Tran case. While Marshall faced a woman wielding a large, sharp instrument -- which turned out to be a vegetable peeler -- Woolley shot an unarmed man who was running away from him.

Woolley was a 27-year-old patrol officer when he stopped motorist John Henry Smith Jr., 37, for allegedly making an illegal U-turn Sept. 19, 1971. Smith, a black IBM research technician on his way home from a date, angrily protested the traffic stop when two off-duty officers who lived nearby happened on the scene.

Police said Smith threatened the officers with a tire iron. Woolley said he tried to subdue Smith with tear gas, then sent his police dog after him as he slipped free and fled toward an apartment complex.

As Smith reached the apartments, Woolley fired a single shot from his .45-caliber pistol, killing the unarmed man. Woolley later said he acted in self-defense, fearing Smith would arm himself once inside the apartments.

Community tension prompted calls for outside investigations. Two months later, a grand jury indicted Woolley on charges of manslaughter and using illegal tear gas.

At Woolley's trial, Davies told jurors the unarmed Smith posed no threat when he was shot. There was evidence Woolley threatened to kill Smith for suggesting he would sue over being tear-gassed. And officers said Smith had brandished a tire iron, but the tire iron turned out to fit one of their cars, not Smith's.

Then-Police Chief Robert Murphy said afterward that he no longer believed Woolley was justified in the shooting. Woolley, who was later fired along with another officer, lives in Placerville and declined comment. The city paid $30,000 to settle lawsuits on behalf of Smith's three children.

http://www.bikernet.com/pages/October_23_2003_Part_2.aspx

Last edited by 4ager; 10/29/15.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Finns have just a bit of experience building quality rifles with a reputation for functioning flawlessly in freezing temperatures. And I've never heard of any fatal flaws in these Tikkas. But of course I'd rather have the Sako. smile

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've been thinking about buying a T3 in 7mm rem mag, but just can't get past the 9.5 twist !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pal
The Finns have just a bit of experience building quality rifles with a reputation for functioning flawlessly in freezing temperatures. And I've never heard of any fatal flaws in these Tikkas. But of course I'd rather have the Sako. smile

If I was in a survival type of situation or hunting dangerous game I would want a pre-64 style Winchester or a Mauser. but I am not and love shooting little groups at 1/4 of what a custom rifle would cost

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
E

No heartburn with your past experiences but you may want to consider what some professionals in Africa have discovered about these rifles. Perhaps things have improved?

To quote:
"I have seen Sako/Tikka rifles run strings of 2000 rounds with no cleaning except for a wipe down. The same rifles had their barrels cleaned for the first time at around 4000 rounds, at no stage was the action cleaned up until the rifles were retired at 12 000 rounds. The only failures that come to mind was the plastic magazine of the Tikka that stopped feeding. Setback on the Tikka recoil lug, a common problem with the standard aluminum recoil lug. The rifles were all fired in rapid strings of 20 to 40 shots per session, time in between strings was around 5 minutes. I ran another CRF gun next to the Sako/Tikka rifles, after 2400 rounds it failed to eject, new extractor was fitted and gave no problems after that, rifle retired at 4000 rounds. I have had a new Sako fail to eject and I have had a new CZ fail to feed."

In torture testing they did have one bad Tikka magazine. I also replaced the aluminum lug on mine with a stainless one, just in case. Wasn't expensive.

The source can be found here
http://www.africahunting.com/thread...sconceptions-the-push-feed-action.18069/

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 16bore
A. Toyota, Glock, Tikka

B. Chevy, 1911, Remington

The only difference between A and B is the tools and time to make B act like A.

And patriotism.

That's comical, at best. Haha.

IC B3

m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MERWIN
E

No heartburn with your past experiences but you may want to consider what some professionals in Africa have discovered about these rifles. Perhaps things have improved?

To quote:
"I have seen Sako/Tikka rifles run strings of 2000 rounds with no cleaning except for a wipe down. The same rifles had their barrels cleaned for the first time at around 4000 rounds, at no stage was the action cleaned up until the rifles were retired at 12 000 rounds. The only failures that come to mind was the plastic magazine of the Tikka that stopped feeding. Setback on the Tikka recoil lug, a common problem with the standard aluminum recoil lug. The rifles were all fired in rapid strings of 20 to 40 shots per session, time in between strings was around 5 minutes. I ran another CRF gun next to the Sako/Tikka rifles, after 2400 rounds it failed to eject, new extractor was fitted and gave no problems after that, rifle retired at 4000 rounds. I have had a new Sako fail to eject and I have had a new CZ fail to feed."

In torture testing they did have one bad Tikka magazine. I also replaced the aluminum lug on mine with a stainless one, just in case. Wasn't expensive.

The source can be found here
http://www.africahunting.com/thread...sconceptions-the-push-feed-action.18069/

I would have loved to see the barrels of those rifles after the test.

Pieter

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Fragility and failure of the Tikka will likely come as news to these guys. I guess they think they are tough and rugged enough for continuous wilderness duty.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by K1500
Fragility and failure of the Tikka will likely come as news to these guys. I guess they think they are tough and rugged enough for continuous wilderness duty.

What is your experience that the Tikka didn't fit your tough and rugged expectation? I have not heard anything bad about the Tikka except the plastic bolt shroud and the lack of stiffness of the synthetic factory stock. Oh, and the factory rings are not good quality on hard recoiling rifles.

Allen

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Read my post again, it is a defense of the ruggedness of the Tikka. Other posters suggested the Tikka is fragile. While I have not put my Tikka personal through anything more strenuous than a sunny day at the range, I assume the Canadian Arctic Rangers did, or they would not have adopted it. That's a good enough endorsement for me.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Ok, thanks.

I wasn't following who "these guys" are.

I expected to learn a new negative to the Tikka, glad I misunderstood what you typed.

Allen

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be curious to hear what the smiths are saying that are building off of them.

Other than "I'll be home early tonight"

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Love my CTR, makes my more expensive guns look silly. Thing shoots everything you feed it MOA with no effort.

Good Shooting!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I respect them but cannot bring myself to like them. They feel like a cheap econo rifle, even though they aren't. If I didn't have a Remington Classic in 8x57, I might be persuaded to buy one of the new Tikkas in that chambering simply because of lack of rifles in 8mm.

Last edited by SCGunNut; 10/29/15.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I can only report my experiences w/a T3 Lite 270 Win. I bought it new in 2003. No loading for accuracy problems. No problem whatever of maintaining Zero. No problems with trigger, breaks like icicles. No problem with recoil lug-at all. No problem of hunting/handling for hours on end. No problem with rust-none.

It has stacked up an enviable number of deer.

I've had good looking wood stocked rifles that WERE not nearly as accurate. HAD is the operative word.

I define SOUL as --- dependable and accurate. My Tikka T3 SS has SOUL. It AINT for sale!!!!!!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought into the t3 rep after hearing so many good reports...My report is good also sub MOA for 30/06

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,571 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,465
Posts18,471,363
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.