Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,538 of 1,842 1 2 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1841 1842
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Snowing here, "up nort".

Ground is too warm for it to turn anything white though.

Interesting, raining cats & dogs, furder Nort !

Going to turn to snow this evening when the wind changes to the NW.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It is white here and getting whiter with every minute!!

Wasn't supposed to start until later in the day, but here it is. If it keeps up, there is going to be plenty of tracking snow. Actually there is enough already!!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Raining here. We are supposed to get a 1/2" or so tonight. That will be gone soon because temps will be in the 60's on Monday.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, my brother-in-law and I went up to my lake place to take out the dock and boat lifts. Turns out he had the mumps. Work drew an antibody level, since I am old enough that I only had the original vaccine and no booster, and my level was 5.9 or so, when it needs to be > 20 for "presumptive immunity."

That means I can't work until after deer season due to contact with immunosuppressed patients, and, if I actually get the freaking mumps (my brother-in-law had been vaccinated, so who knows after a 3+ hour car ride each way?) I won't be driving up and hunting with the guy I have deer hunted with since the early 90's.

I may go up to my place on Big Pine by myself if I get the mumps and mask and glove when field dressing, but I need to look into that a little more to make sure it would be ok.

frown

[/firstworldhuntingproblemsrant]

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Mumps?

500mg motrin and tighten your boots, jar head.

grin

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mumps?

grin

The disease itself isn't a big deal. I am just bummed about possibly not doing deer opener and dealing with a freaked out wife who doesn't quite get that EVERYONE used to get the mumps. It used to be liked the chicken pox.

Thankfully, she agreed with my plan to "self quarantine" at the lake if I start selling up.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I remember when the little kids would say "so and so got the chicken pops" at school.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yep. I had the pox in kindergarten. I got to stay home for a week.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by goalie
Mumps?

grin

The disease itself isn't a big deal. I am just bummed about possibly not doing deer opener and dealing with a freaked out wife who doesn't quite get that EVERYONE used to get the mumps. It used to be liked the chicken pox.

Thankfully, she agreed with my plan to "self quarantine" at the lake if I start selling up.

I understand. it does suck to have your deer camp rituals screwed with.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Agreed. My BIL isn't going to hunt with us for the first time in forever. It kind of goofed up our plans for da camp...But what do you do? You adapt and figure something out.

My little buddy has the excitement in his eyes like we all do, and it's his first year to actually get to hunt. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
Uuuurrrrrrp! Urrrrrpp! Blahhhhha!
Hey.......I think I heard da Turdy Point Buck!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by tzone
Uuuurrrrrrp! Urrrrrpp! Blahhhhha!
Hey.......I think I heard da Turdy Point Buck!
Nah-it was dat no brudder good in law-from Illinois!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My son's buddy just got home from his stint in the Marines. A generous donor gave him a Spanish Mauser, and we head to the range tomorrow for a sight in session. I came up with a scope and rings, Luv2Safari was nice enough to send him 3 boxes of hunting loads, so off to the range tomorrow. Man, am I getting ramped up about hunting. This time of year sure gets the blood going. I've been waking up at 4:30 every morning for a week now, wandering out to the picture window in the living room and expecting to see deer in the front yard under the lights. Good luck to all the 'Buckers, and the honorary 'Buckers too!
We shot the rifle today and it went just fine. Everything inside the 2" ring at 100 yards with a bottom of the barrel scope out of my junk bin. He's all set and rarin' to go.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just got back from a walk with Ike the Lab. There is snow hanging on the brush and trees and over an inch on the ground. The snow is drifting off the roof of the garage. Would be a tough day to hunt to say the least....

Should get the bucks going though. Will check tomorrow morning.....

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My son's buddy just got home from his stint in the Marines. A generous donor gave him a Spanish Mauser, and we head to the range tomorrow for a sight in session. I came up with a scope and rings, Luv2Safari was nice enough to send him 3 boxes of hunting loads, so off to the range tomorrow. Man, am I getting ramped up about hunting. This time of year sure gets the blood going. I've been waking up at 4:30 every morning for a week now, wandering out to the picture window in the living room and expecting to see deer in the front yard under the lights. Good luck to all the 'Buckers, and the honorary 'Buckers too!
We shot the rifle today and it went just fine. Everything inside the 2" ring at 100 yards with a bottom of the barrel scope out of my junk bin. He's all set and rarin' to go.

good deal!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by mmgravy
Just got back from a walk with Ike the Lab. There is snow hanging on the brush and trees and over an inch on the ground. The snow is drifting off the roof of the garage. Would be a tough day to hunt to say the least....

Should get the bucks going though. Will check tomorrow morning.....

Yeah, Today would suck in the woods but we'd tough it out wouldn't we? At least for a while. smile

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
No doubt Tom!!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by goalie
So, my brother-in-law and I went up to my lake place to take out the dock and boat lifts. Turns out he had the mumps. Work drew an antibody level, since I am old enough that I only had the original vaccine and no booster, and my level was 5.9 or so, when it needs to be > 20 for "presumptive immunity."

That means I can't work until after deer season due to contact with immunosuppressed patients, and, if I actually get the freaking mumps (my brother-in-law had been vaccinated, so who knows after a 3+ hour car ride each way?) I won't be driving up and hunting with the guy I have deer hunted with since the early 90's.

I may go up to my place on Big Pine by myself if I get the mumps and mask and glove when field dressing, but I need to look into that a little more to make sure it would be ok.

frown

[/firstworldhuntingproblemsrant]

Goalie, Chances are very slim you're going get sick. I understand the precaution at work and with your hunting pard, but you got the original shot which puts you at a greater than 50% for NOT getting the mumps and unless you swapped spit with your BIL (another Jarhead? grin ), your exposure was minimal. IIRC, incubation is like 12-25 days. So my friend, looks like you got your whole deer season off and paid to boot! Glass half full!

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Made a trip to NoDak for ducks last week going through the great state of Manysodas taking a hard left at Fergus Falls. NoDak was as dry as I ever seen it. Ducks were scarce, probably the lull between the opener and the migration. We usually shoot limits so we planned on eating duck every day. Never cooked a one. Woulda starved if it hadn't been for the local cafe. Bought a case of shells and never got into them.

Prairie fires were a real concern. Even parking on dry grass you had to watch out. One of the locals talked about trying to get around a fire burning a full section and at the crossroads she watched 3 pheasants on fire get up, cross the road, and start a fire on the other side. Awful. Ditch chickens were everywhere, but we didn't have a license. I guess there's always next year.

Oh, dang near got a driving award from Minnesota's finest. Heading back home at 4am my world lights up on a dark two-lane. I get the "Do you know how fast you were going?" thing. I dunno, 70? "You were doing 73mph in a 60 zone." Sorry, right before Wapeton I think it was 70. "Son, you ain't in North Dakota anymore and Minnesota doesn't have any 70mph speed limits" Whoops, sorry...it's early and I'm still on my first cup of coffee. After what seemed like 20 minutes he gives me a warning and tells me I'm free to go. First time being pulled over in over 20 years. Never got over 65mph until I got over the Big Muddy.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
This bout of cold, rainy, snowy, crappy weather was just what the Dr. ordered for me.

My tarsal glands are swollen and leaking, my neck has swollen up and there isn't any carpet left in my office.

I've been standing on my tippy toes in a puddle of my own piss and licking the tops of the door frames. My boss tried to stop me so I lowered my head and charged him. He's from chitcago and really has no idea what that was all about. I like to keep it that way...

YEP....it's deer season! UUUUURRRRRP UUUUUUUURRRRRP

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 1,538 of 1,842 1 2 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (260Remguy, 1minute, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,424
Posts18,489,150
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.