Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looked and x large was all I could currently find.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
If you find one I'll pay you for it plus some. And that's where I'm at now I believe. I'm either getting an older made in USA Woolrich and skipping newer ones or getting that one link somebody posted where the lady makes them pullovers. I'm thinking about getting her to make me a zipper jacket out of what she refers to as blanket weight and then getting one of her pullovers for layering underneath. Plus I did just buy a nice woolrich shirt cheap off a member here at the fire. I'll be getting that next week

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No. If I find one you'll pay what it costs and nothing more.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thank you sir. What goes around comes around

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
So which of the two- Shelter or Tin- would equate to a Barbour waxed cotton coat? Mine is getting a bit ratty and I promised myself a replacement this year. (For casual wear around and about, not necessarily for hunting, although I do wear it into the duck blind now and again.)

I'd guess Shelter. Tin Cloth is really beefy.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Careful with the old ones. Some of them had a layer of foam rubber-ish stuff for insulation and when it gets old and drys out, it crumbles up inside and leaks all over like sand. My brother had one like that.

The Bemidji comes today. Whoo hoo.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I knew a guy, with few synapses firing in his brain, who insisted on leaving his hunting clothes, including some prime vintage Woolrich, draped over his fence from October 'til New Years so as to banish all human odors. Year after year, rain or shine, the stuff was out there quietly rotting away. He always looked like a homeless guy in the Bowery. Never mind his clothes certainly didn't reek, but he did, as he refused to bathe until hunting season was over- didn't want any soap or deodorant scent to alert the deer...

I took to refusing him entry into my truck when we went hunting.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 10/29/15.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I have gotten good deals on wool macks and such from these folks! All brands. Bought a like new, vintage Chippewa Mills red and black Mack that is my go to elk hunting coat. $75!!!!!
Just look thru their hunting clothes!

http://www.vintagetrends.com

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Thought I'd throw in that I've had great service out of my columbia gallatin range wool, very warm and affordable.

do love Columbia stuff, some of the OmniHeat stuff works quite well and really like their hot weather shirts for staying cooler.....also on a Smartwool kick for base layer type stuff.....but most Columbia coats arent so good for where they might come in contact with barb wire and similar plant spines....only reason i shelled out for Filson was i wasnt happy haw fast the last few Carhart coats my brother and i bought started coming apart....had that not happened would likely still be wearing Carhart coats alot

I have a Columbia blaze orange wool coat that I bought in 2003. It's been a hellova jacket.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
A big thanks to Pocono jack who is shipping me some pants and 260Remguy who found me a jacket. The jacket is only XL, but I'm figuring when it's not so cold I could probably get by with wearing my under armor cold gear 4.0 and a maybe just a wool shirt would be all I need.I'm going to continue looking for a 50-52 2x though.

Both guys hooked me up with really generous deals/prices as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks again fellas, I truly appreciate it.

Tight chains.

A=A

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
gotta love this place, lots of good people

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by rattler
gotta love this place, lots of good people

Yes sir, I couldnt agree more.

Tight chains.

A=A

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Bemidji came today and the quality is first-rate. Just like Grandpa's!

Not enough room for layering, so will go back for a bigger one.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Pap, what style did you buy?

Never mind I seen what you said above--voyager. I'm thinking about having a blanket weight zipper jacket made and a medium weight pullover hood made at the link Valsdad posted. In fact, I think I'm calling them now.

Last edited by MolonLabe41; 10/31/15. Reason: Looked up paps model

Tight chains.

A=A

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Valsdad, I reread last post you made and it has convinced me all the way down to and accept the part about hunting in downpours.

I've had my fair days of that jazz and I'll simply stay in stoking the fire all day and chasing the Mrs around the house. Tomorrow's another day for this fella nowadays. I've had to work year round in extreme weather crazy all my life and I'm done with that for the moment... snowstorms I dig, but the torrential downpours nada.

Thanks for the awesome website link

Tight chains.

A=A

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MolonLabe41
Valsdad, I reread last post you made and it has convinced me all the way down to and accept the part about hunting in downpours.

I've had my fair days of that jazz and I'll simply stay in stoking the fire all day and chasing the Mrs around the house. Tomorrow's another day for this fella nowadays. I've had to work year round in extreme weather crazy all my life and I'm done with that for the moment... snowstorms I dig, but the torrential downpours nada.

Thanks for the awesome website link

I mostly feel the same about "playing" around in downpours. I still have to work in them at times. Everyone else can have their Gore-tex and other breathable stuff and I'll stick with the old style H/H or Grundens canvas backed rubber gear. But I can't hunt in that stuff as I'm not much for sitting a stand. 2 hours and I gotta move.

The wool stuff breaths, and when I start to get soaked a bit, time to head home.

Beside... chasing the Mrs around is fun too.

I hope the Asbells do you right as they have me.

Geno

PS, the stuff I got from them was generously sized. You might provide your actual measurements it you like stuff to really fit. My vest could actually be a size smaller, but what the heck, I'm happy enough.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The last decent buck I killed was in 2011, on the the second day of a steady rain. I was on the ground, but next to a big oak and under one of those umbrella thingys. They're worth their weight in gold, especially for working stiffs that can't pick and choose their hunting days. My deer ended up in a foot and a half of water in a small pool that had formed in the bottom of a ravine. Up until I waded in to drag out my buck, I was pretty dry thanks to the umbrella and my old Cabelas Gore-tex coat. If not for the umbrella, I never would have lasted out there for a day and a half to see the deer I ended up shooting.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MolonLabe41
Originally Posted by battue
The Woolrich isn't all that bad. Order one, and if isn't what you want then send it back before using. The Filson Cruiser is great. Size up and layer something under if needed. As Pappy mentioned the Filson double is bulky and will make it seem like you added an inch to your rifles LOP.

An NFL guard could wear tin cloth for an entire season and it would come out whole.

Have em all.

Lol. Thanks man

I wore out a pair of tin pants in five weeks. They replaced them without question. Tin jacket will last me the rest of my life. I would go with US made Filson every time as my first choice.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
$90 Helley Hansen shell and the proper base layer is tough to beat.

Stops raining or snowing and just take it off.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
My britches advice, right from the Bakken, M-1951 army wool twill pants. The weave is tight enough to be wind resistant. The price is right. Wear cordura chaps over them and if your legs are cold, you shouldn't be out there. ;-{>8

I found bird hunting was most flexible using a strap vest and whatever was the right jacket - or not, for the day. BE SURE, that whatever you have is seriously WINDPROOF. I have some of the most serious wool coats known to man and the NW ND wind can get through them.

I like my wool garments under a shell.

Good advice...

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 55 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,308
Posts18,487,182
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.