Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10555526 10/12/15
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am interested in purchasing this model 70 pre-64 in .270win. The question I have is that if the original butt/recoil pad had a white line in it.
I am attaching a link to the rifle(copying it from the ad). I'll appreciate your feedback.
Thank you and God bless.

https://d27896rztcig3t.cloudfront.net/original/cNMN2RNOgeoQ1x7VjASqTB056dbiuvveKrM0AmY98C.jpg

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Nope, pad is not original to the gun. Very unlikely that the gun was originally equipped with a recoil pad.

Hard to tell from pics, but stock looks a little too shiny. May have had a coat of something added....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That stock has been cut down for a recoil pad and also (badly) refinished.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To carry a M70 hunting I prefer the Featherweights in those chamberings.

How much is it?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
He is asking $650

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
If you want that particular gun, it's not a bad deal.

I'd note the stock modifications, missing front sight hood and make an offer of $500.00 -$550.00....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Savage_99

How much is it?

[Linked Image]

Isn't there a federal law against rockin' a set of see-thrus on a pre-64?

John

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Looks like somebody went 1 coat of tru-oil over the original finish.

John

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by john843

How much is it?

[Linked Image]

Isn't there a federal law against rockin' a set of see-thrus on a pre-64?

John

I do believe there should be a law against any rifle with see thru mounts. crazy

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Well Don, there's one good thing about that rifle, on those quick shots you could shoot from the hip- and still use the scope!

John

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have the same rifle (mfg in 61) with no scope. It has a White Line recoil pad as well. Reading "The Rifleman's Rifle: Winchester's Model 70 1936-1963", it identifies that Featherweights had the aluminum plate, Standard and Varmint rifles had the composite style butt plate, and Alaskans / Africans had a pad. However, at the time, when buying a Winchester, the Winchester Custom shop could provide pads if desired before rifles left New Haven, Connecticut. So, it is fair to say someone could receive a new rifle with a pad. None the less, primarily what you will research only defines what comes direct off the "production line" as a regular assembly or standard option. It is important to understand what "original" can be relative to valuation. That being said, it seemed to be a common practice to add pads post purchase. Without proper ordering information, it would be practically impossible to determine when your pad was added.
The Standard Catalog of Winchester Firearms (2007) gives the .270 from 1937-1963 a good condition rifle an est. $800 value. Keep in mind what goes into rating. This value estimation (is old) should be just a spot on the wall at best, but can be helpful.
The bottom line to your question is that the pad on our rifles is not "original" for valuation / collecting purposes.
I just bought my .270. As best as i can tell from your photo, mine is slightly more used than yours - I picked mine up for $500. I intend to restore the steel and wood (professionally) but keep a recoil pad on it (possibly not the one it came with).
On another note - took it out to my back yard to test fire. Prone at 100yds I put only 3 rounds down range, all were within the reach of a dime. I am quite happy about that. The group was approx 5" out at the 2 o'clock area, so I will also likely opt for a scope. This may very well be my "go to" rifle for the days ahead. Hope this helps.

Last edited by bkmeis; 11/01/15.

bkmeis
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Without proper documentation it is just another "messed" with pre 64 in less than original condition... Hint... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
$650 isn't a bad price for that gun. The stock isn't original, but appears serviceable which means you can shoot the gun while you're waiting on a McMillan-made replacement grin FWT's in .270 are somewhat rarer than .30-06's, so there's that to consider as well. Note the "somewhat." Neither chambering is "collector" rare, but it just seems to me that I see 4 or 5 '06 FWT's for sale for every .270 I run across.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do the socks come with the rifle?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The $$$650 price is way too high for a heavy standard grade with a messed up stock. You have to look at the filled in checkering and the white line forever or get another pad also.

Unless you have lots of money and are a very big and strong guy who hunts near the car pass on that one.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oregon45
$650 isn't a bad price for that gun. The stock isn't original, but appears serviceable which means you can shoot the gun while you're waiting on a McMillan-made replacement grin FWT's in .270 are somewhat rarer than .30-06's, so there's that to consider as well. Note the "somewhat." Neither chambering is "collector" rare, but it just seems to me that I see 4 or 5 '06 FWT's for sale for every .270 I run across.

O45, the rifle in question is a std wt. Unless I'm not seeing it properly. Picture kind of sucks..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The $$$650 price is way too high for a heavy standard grade with a messed up stock. You have to look at the filled in checkering and the white line forever or get another pad also...

[Linked Image]

No, I think the price is about right.

I paid $700 for a .30-06 with a cut stock and figured I did good.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pal
The $$$650 price is way too high for a heavy standard grade with a messed up stock. You have to look at the filled in checkering and the white line forever or get another pad also...

[Linked Image]

No, I think the price is about right.

I paid $700 for a .30-06 with a cut stock and figured I did good.

[Linked Image]

Pal, yours is a fwt and it's a lot nicer. The fwt's tend to bring more money than the std. However the 270's bring more money than a comparable 30-06. With that being said, the 270 std wt. rifle in this condition should bring $700.00...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It has potential that's for sure. I'd buy the gun trash those see thru mounts and scrounge up an original stock to replace the one on it or have it stripped properly refinished and recut the checkering and add a reproduction Winchester pad.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GSPfan
It has potential that's for sure. I'd buy the gun trash those see thru mounts and scrounge up an original stock to replace the one on it or have it stripped properly refinished and recut the checkering and add a reproduction Winchester pad.

This, and it sounds like a fun project too.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (1minute, 1234, 117LBS, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,872
Posts18,518,060
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.