Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you don't like your T3, here's a good use for it.

Pick a random load out of the manual or some loads you have worked up for a different rifle in the same cartridge. Throw the Tikka and these loads in the vehicle next time you got to the range to work up loads. If you are like me, it will be one of several rifles for the day. Leave it in the vehicle when you get the rest out.

If you have a great day at the range and everything shoots well, leave the Tikka in the truck. However, if you a having one of those days when none of your loads seem to be working, go get the Tikka. Shoot it last before heading home for the day. At least you'll head home feeling good about your shooting and reloading skills!

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
16--good read.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Keep trying, 4ager.
Let's see. One of his friends testfied under oath that he carried a tire iron under the front seat of his car. It didn't fit the lug nuts of his car, my 3/4 ton Travelall, or the car driven by the two cops. Your lie is pure fantasy.
I was fired three days after being indicted by order of the city manager, not the chief of police. He made no such statement at the time.
Got anything else ? E

Last edited by Oheremicus; 11/01/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Given the Pros, the cons are not much.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oheremicus

Got anything else ?

How about a big jug of STFU? PM's work like a mofo, maybe you two could take care of it elsewhere, seeing as nobody gives a flying phuqq......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Given the Pros, the cons are not much.

The A7 vs. T3 was a stretch as well....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T3 got the contract for the Canadian Rangers to replace the No4 MKI. Built by Colt Canada with plywood, irons, 2-stage, 3-pos., and extended mag.

Only thing that seemed like a weak link to me is the modular trigger, but they already tested it in extreme cold.

Canadian Rangers approve of smaller, more powerful new rifles

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Only handled a few but they seem to have a lot of plastic and a rather over all cheapness to them. I have the same impression of the Ruger American . I'm sure they shoot fine as people say they do and if they were $300 it would be expected but I never have seen them under $500+-so no I can't get excited about them.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The few plastic parts are a turn-off, for me. I suppose they could be replaced. But, if you're OK with a boat paddle stock, will a few more grams of plastic be a deal breaker? smile

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bangeye
Only handled a few but they seem to have a lot of plastic and a rather over all cheapness to them. I have the same impression of the Ruger American . I'm sure they shoot fine as people say they do and if they were $300 it would be expected but I never have seen them under $500+-so no I can't get excited about them.

I feel the same way about the RAR and T3. Highly functional, and both shoot great. The RAR is just less expensive (~$150?) with a lower quality stock and trigger that won't go as low. Seems like a lot of people would rather have the extra cash as RAR are selling like crazy here.

I have a 223 RAR that shoots great but I'm going to send it down the road like the Tikklers. Can't blame anyone that likes either though.

Last edited by 4th_point; 11/01/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't much care for Tikkas or Howas, although just about everyone I know that shoots either, loves 'em to death. But I have abided M788s for the past 40 some years. Go figure?

First Tikka I'd ever seen was an O/U shotgun/rifle combo that a buddy had and that was many years ago. First I'd ever heard of them and we all agreed his Tikka was light years ahead of the O/U Savages at the time.

Hey, if something suits you fine, so be it.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
I'm not interested in any Tikka rifles. That's because of where I hunt and what they I need my rifles to do.
If all I hunted were small varmits and the conditions were pleasant, one would be a good or even great choice.
But I don't do that kind of hunting. My guns need to fuction under constant dusty conditions. They may need to fuction perfectly after hunting under these conditions for many days then endure rain and freezing temperatures. Or really cold temperatures.
Rifles with the Tikka style extractors and ejectors have given me lots of fits over the years. No, they weren't Tikkas, they were Remingtons.
Another area that I've seen or had problems with are triggers and safeties. Usually cheap rifles have triggers that are hard to clean and can't be adjusted much if at all.
The rifles I prefer all have open trigger designs that are fully adjustable. These come, or have come, on rifles made by Ruger, Winchester and some of the Mausers.
It isn't an accident that Rugers and pre-64 style Winchesters are popular the world over by knowledgable hunters that hunt under togh conditions.
As to accuracy, I like it as much as anyone. But experience has taught me that even a 2.5 MOA rifle and load will work. But if the bolt stop fails, or the trigger goes sour on an extended hunting trip, I'm SOL. E

Yeah, I'm sure you hunt in colder weather than I do.

That's funny.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They're fugly but great as a tool. The Italian styling just doesn't cut it for me.

Might get one in 22-250 just because they come in a left hand action.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't like the Tikka's price.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 16bore

The 'pluses' far outnumber the 'minuses'!!

I'm not talking 'beauty' but quality.

Yeah the RAR is right up there with SAKO. smirk

smirk this qualifies for SARCASM !!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got one in 223 that I like a lot for all the pro Tikka reasons given here, IMO they outweigh the cons by a lot but I hear what you're saying. The Tikka's a keeper but sooner or later I'll probably be getting another 223 that won't be a Tikka.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My complaint is that short bolt lift. I don't like it on ANY brand rifle, though.

I'm a cranky old coot, and I LIKE a 90 degree bolt lift, it's what I'm accustomed to, and I'm not going to change at this point.

That's probably not a cogent reason not to like a Tikka, but it's all I have, since I haven't bought one, ever, or anything except a 788 once, and I gave it to a buddy.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A few years ago I tried a couple and just did not care at all for the "closed-up" receiver style and magazine. Like many things that have gone down the road, kinda wished I'd kept this one. The 300WSM SS Laminate was a heck of a shooting iron and it would be nice to have a detachable magazine rifle now. Wonder how it's doing?

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,693 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,239
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.