Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by tmitch
Is that a Lyman Alaskan in Griffin & Howe mounts? To me, that's a classy setup. For the time period, it didn't get much better. I know the side mount holes hurt "collector" value, but it wouldn't bother me to own one that looks like that!

tmitch...we think alike...yes to your questions.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
RogerD, did it come as pictured for that price? If so I'd consider that a home run! Sometimes, if properly done, a couple extra holes mounting a nice period sight/scope ain't so bad. Case in point, my Models 64 and 1895 with "Climbing Lyman" sights. Few years ago I was sorely tempted by a Model 65 .218 that had an Alaskan in a Stith mount. I'd have bought it too if they hadn't cut the stock and added a Monte Carlo cheek piece. sick

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
RogerD, did it come as pictured for that price? If so I'd consider that a home run! Sometimes, if properly done, a couple extra holes mounting a nice period sight/scope ain't so bad. Case in point, my Models 64 and 1895 with "Climbing Lyman" sights. Few years ago I was sorely tempted by a Model 65 .218 that had an Alaskan in a Stith mount. I'd have bought it too if they hadn't cut the stock and added a Monte Carlo cheek piece. sick

Yes,exactly as pictured. Funny I can buy some real collectable guns(not this one). It's all luck and timing. It's hard to find old original rifles as many are snapped up for collections. But then I find too many as it is...it breaks my heart to pass on them,but better on my pocket book,atleast that's what I tell myself.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Double Down Ditto on both parts!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by local_dirt
BSA, gotcha.

Didn't really have a use for it, anyway. I'm happy with the 30-06 FWT I got from handwerk last year. That gun has really turned out nice.

What I'm really looking for is a .270 FWT. Yeah, I know. Keep looking. smile

I hate to agree, but that's what I did. It took me 3 years to find the one I have. Right year, right price, right condition. Just had to wait till I found it!!! sick

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by patbrennan
High condition examples of fwt 270s are virtually unheard of this side of the border, at least I haven't seen one in original condition. Every one I have seen has been "well used".

Like I've said before, the 270 fwt's and the 375 H&H's really got used. If you find either of these in primo condition, you are a lucky man...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Here's your Huckleberry, featherweight, minty and sightless to boot...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Here's your Huckleberry, featherweight, minty and sightless to boot...

[Linked Image]

I'll take it for $850!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Seems fair.... whistle Looks like the sights fell off of it anyway...

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,258
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.