Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
FS: used books on popular history, hunting and fishing and nature, and exploration and adventure.

How it works: ALL PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING TO CONUS ZIPS. I take personal checks, cash, and all MOs but NOT PayPal or credit cards.

If you want a book or books, the only way to reserve/order them is to put an "I'll take book(s) #_____" ON THIS THREAD. PMs are for questions and comments and other communications, NOT for ordering.

Then I'll acknowledge your order on the thread, mark the book(s) sold on the ad, and send you a PM with my "legal" (first) name and mailing address for payment.

I ship books the next mailing day after I get paid, but Sat and Sun AREN'T mailing days in Seal Beach.

TAKE $1 OFF THE PRICE OF EACH BOOK YOU ORDER AFTER THE FIRST ONE! (I save some postage on multiple orders).

Popular history books

1) SPF "Apache Gold and Yaqui Silver" by J. Frank Dobie, illus by Tom Lea.

2) SPF "Klondike Fever: The Life and Death of the Last Great Gold Rush" by Pierre Berton.

3) "Ghost Towns of the West" by William Carter. A Sunset pictorial history of the surviving Western ghost towns of the 1980s. Covers 25 in 9 states and BC in detail plus summaries on many others. Softbound 8 1/2x11" 256 pp. in good reading cond. Profusely illus w/maps, diagrams and color and b/w photos of "then and now." $5

4) "Cinders and Smoke: A Mile-by-Mile Guide for the Durango and Silverton Narrow Guage Railroad" by Doris B. Osterwald. 7th ed. of a detailed guide to the history, natural sights, wildlife, and geology that you see when you take this train in the Colorado Rockies. Mile-by-mile maps, historic photos in color and b/w, equipment and rolling stock history and photos, railroad signals glossary. Softbound 168 pp.new/exc. cond. $5

5) SPF "The Heart of Everything That Is: The Untold Story of Red Cloud, An American Legend" by Bob Drury and Tom Clavin.

6) "The Mountain Men: The Dramatic History and Lore of the First Frontiersmen" by George Laycock.

7) SPF "Dakota Cowboy: My Life in the Old Days" by Ike Blasingame.

8) SPF "Ishi in Two Worlds: A Biography of the Last Wild Indian in North America" by Theodora Kroeber.

9) "The US Army War College Guide to the Battle of Gettysburg" ed. by Jay Luvaas and Col. Harold Nelson. History of the battle compiled by the staff of the War College using official Civil War reports and personal diaries. In 25 day-by-day steps. Very detailed maps, historic b/w photos. Quality PB 254 pp. exc. cond. $5

10) SPF "The Quest for El Cid" by Richard Fletcher.

Adventure and Exploration

11) SPF "Travels in the 'White Man's Grave': Memoirs from West and Central Africa" by Bruce Macdonald.

12) SPF "In Patagonia" by Bruce Chatwin.

13) SPF "Shadow Divers: Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of WWII" by Robert Kurson.

14) "Baja California Adventures" by Froylan Tiscaneno. Beginning in 1954 when he was a college student, the author carried out many land, sea, and air explorations of the coast, deserts, mountains, and ruins of Baja. Here are the journals of 43 of them starting in 1962, with details of the people, terrain, roads, climate, wildlife, and ruins that he and his companions found by 4-wheeler, horseback, light plane, and boat. HB 506 pp. illus w/b/w photos, maps, and diagrams, with index. New cond. $7

15) SPF "The Lost Oasis: The Desert War and the Hunt for Zerzura" by Saul Kelly.

16) "Jungle Calls" by Ron Snell. Young missionary goes from the "concrete jungle" of Moody Bible Institute in Chicago to the Peruvian Amazon to convert a remote and hostile tribe, and begin translating the Bible into their language, Machuguenga. Rough jungle living, exploration, evangelizing in the 1990s. Pocket PB 266 pp. exc. cond. w/b/w ohotos, maps. $4

Fishing, Hunting, and Nature

17) SPF "Gray's Sporting Journal: Fortieth Anniversary Edition."

18) "Beyond Basic Fly Tying: Techniques and Patterns to Expand Your Skills" by Marvin Nolte. To take your hobby or home business to the next level. Sections on tools and materials, nymphs, wet flies and emergers, dry flies, terrestrials, and streamers, with 22 patters tied step-by-step "in front of you" in MANY close-up color photos. HB 9x11" 125 pp. new cond illus w/many color photos. Includes DVD version $10

19) "Salmon Coast-to-Coast" by Bill Hilts, Milt Keizen, and George Grivenfeld. A volume of the American Fishing Club Library on all the freshwater fishing for salmon in the US and Canada. Sea-run, Great Lakes, and landlocked species; all methods. HB 250 pp. new cond. illus w/many b/w photos, diarams, and maps. $5

20) "Whitetail Wisdom" by The North American Hunting Club. Collection of 38 articles by the North American Hunting Club on Whitetail management, behavior, hunting tactics, hunting the rut, hunting trophy bucks, and true hunting experiences that illustrate all the above. HB 8 1/2x11" 160 pp. new cond. illus w/many color photos $6

21) "The Insight Guide to East African Wildlife" a complete guide to the mammals, birds, reptiles and fish of Kenya, Tanzania, and bordering nations', plus an introduction to the native peoples. Maps show main national parks and game preserves, info on wildlife-centered tourism. Beautiful pictures, good wildlife data, but check on the political situation before you go! Softbound 9x7" 357 pp. illus w/many beautiful color photos. $5

22) SPF "The Grizzlies of Mount McKinley" by Adolph Murie.

23) "Graced by Pines: The Ponderosa Pine in the American West" by Alexandra Murphy. "Biography" of the tree found all over the West from Kansas to Alaska and Mexico. Noted naturalist describes the ecological, cultural, and economic aspects of the pine first described by Captain Lewis, from prehistoric timbers in Chaco Canyon ruins to modern mills in Montana and living nature preserves all over the West. Quality PB 350 pp. exc. cond. illus w/neat original pen drawings. $5

24) "Western Birds" by Roger Tory Peterson. "The Standard" field and home bird reference and the birder's "bible". 165 full-color paintings and many drawings show over 1000 birds from over 700 species--every species native or naturalized West of the Great Plains, plus 441 new maps of the geographical ranges of the species. Peterson Identification System tool for ID of the tough ones! Quality pocket softbound 434 pp. exc. cond. $6

Thanks for reading my long post! DON'T FORGET to take $1 off each book you order after the first one!

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

Last edited by Mesa; 11/04/15.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'll take 1 , 5 , 6 and 8 . Thanks

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books 1, 5, 6, and 8 SPF to wango. Thanks for buying! PM on the way.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Ill Take book #2 Klondike Fever for $6.00 shiped

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'll take 2 and 7. Thanks

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'll take 10, 11, 12, 13 and 15.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
If still available I will take 22, 7, 6, and 2

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Book #2 SPF to saddlering

Book#7 SPF to jim54

Books 10, 11, 12, 13, and 15 SPF to Dons1

book 22 SPF to clarktar

Thanks for buying, guys! PMs on the way to all of you.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll take books # 16 & 21.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'll spring for #17, The Gray's Sporting Journal. PM inbound. Thanks, Mike.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Book #17 SPF to gnoahhh. Thanks for buying again! Answer to your PM on the way.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
!Bumpo uno!

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I will take # 20 please

There are a lot more ½" rifles than ½" shooters.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
i will take 3, 4 & 9 thanks

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Book #20 SPF to mudder700

Books #s 3,4, and 9 SPF to RugerHornet

Thanks for buying, guys!

PMs on the way to both of you.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE BOOKS ARE NOw SOLD EVEN THOUGH I CAN'T NOW MARK THEM SOLD ON THE AD: apparently the edit function times out in 24 hours....

Last edited by Mesa; 11/04/15.

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Bump #2

(PLEASE READ NOTE ABOVE BEFORE ORDERING REMAINING BOOKS!)

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Third and Final Bump--"Last call, Gents"!

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (264mag, 44mc, 338rcm, 2500HD, 35, 17 invisible), 1,558 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,951
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.