-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My Ma is looking for a CCW to carry. Semi-Auto is OUT.!

At the range she shoots my dads 27oz SP101 very well in single and double action mode with regular .38 loads. She thinks she would like a DAO revolver to carry in her purse.

Local guy has a used one for sale with only a couple dozen rounds thru it.

I remember DeFlave commenting on how much he liked his and the trigger is supposed to be pretty smooth.

I'm considering looking at this LCR as the price is right, but don't know how perceived recoil will be from the 17.2oz LCR using moon clipped 9mm ammo.(probably the 115gr. variety)

Any thoughts from somebody who's shot one.?

Next option would be to look for a 357/38 S&W 649 at Wanenmacher's next month. Weight of the S&W is right between the SP101 and the LCR..

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
9mm in a small frame revolver is downright snappy. It's snappier than .38 +P and .38 +P is pretty stout in a 17oz LW revolver; just no getting around that. Also understand that the SP-101's grips are VERY accomodating to a woman's hand, and the S&W's aren't nearly as comfortable. But somehow you have to strike that balance between shootability, and realizing whether or not she'll realistically carry the revolver.

It's too bad semi-auto is out, they are much easier for recoil, but small autos can be hard for an elderly person to manipulate.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The one I had I didnt think recoil was to bad, I liked to shoot it, even with the corbon loads! would still have it but a Detonics 45 came along at a steal! so I had to let a few things go!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

A great choice on the Ruger LCR.

However, keep it "simple" and consider going with the .38 special chambering...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Highly recommend the 9mm over the .38/.357... I bought one a few weeks ago and it has less recoil than the .38s. One can use 90-147 grain ammo for mild subsonic to +P+.

Trigger pull is MUCH better than any Sp101 or S&W J...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Here is the post I did on the LCR, 649 and 66 all in 9mm

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10546324/1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
My Ma is looking for a CCW to carry. Semi-Auto is OUT.!

At the range she shoots my dads 27oz SP101 very well in single and double action mode with regular .38 loads. She thinks she would like a DAO revolver to carry in her purse.

Local guy has a used one for sale with only a couple dozen rounds thru it.

I remember DeFlave commenting on how much he liked his and the trigger is supposed to be pretty smooth.

I'm considering looking at this LCR as the price is right, but don't know how perceived recoil will be from the 17.2oz LCR using moon clipped 9mm ammo.(probably the 115gr. variety)

Any thoughts from somebody who's shot one.?

Next option would be to look for a 357/38 S&W 649 at Wanenmacher's next month. Weight of the S&W is right between the SP101 and the LCR..

I like the package, myself, but shooting 9mm's out of the LCR feels like shooting pretty stiff 125 grain plus P loads out of the same pistol chambered in 38 special.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Went and rented a LCR in 38 & 9mm.

Ma was okay with the 38 with 158's. 9mm had 115's but it was too snappy. I absolutely loved the 9mm, it shot great in my hands but Ma wasn't too crazy about either one, she stopped with the 9mm before shooting a full cylinder.

Towards the end, I was shooting a few of mine and she liked the way my Blackhawk with Hogue grips felt, asked to try it. Sure, why not,..I'm running some 250's @ probably 700fps or so. Dinkers by most accounts. She shot that exceptionally well, hit everything she aimed it at.

So I think I might be changing my mind on what to let her try. Maybe a little larger pistol with more heft shooting lighter loads.

Sales guy had her try a Glock 19 which she shot fairly well, recoil wasn't a problem.

She's still not sold on using anything with a magazine, still likes the DOA revolvers, she was oogling a S&W 649.

Good thing we're renting before we buy, no telling what she'll end up liking.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'd have her shoot one in 22LR.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
lot of folks find out that all these sub compacts offer too much recoil and end up leaving them home or won't shoot them enough to become proficient.

Get her a Lady Smith or equivalent 25-28 ounce gun in 38 SP and load it with 125 gr bullets.

Or like Deflave suggest a 22 or 22 mag

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Another 27oz sp101 similar to your Dad's that she likes shooting is worth looking for. I'd recommend the current 4.2" SP101 for home use but it might be a bit much for CC.

A 3" S&W M60 would be really nice.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The older S&W 65 or 64 3" round butt guns can be tuned very nicely. And with the round butt grips can be had for all hand sizes.

Bob

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

[Linked Image]

Picked up a trainer today.

Local guy bought it for his daughter. She put a few rounds thru it and didn't like it. Saved me probably 15% off a new one.

Will shoot a couple bricks thru this and then see where we need to go. Ma really needs to spend some time getting her DAO mechanics figured out. It may take some time...

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...a real good exercise for learning accurate DA shoot is to aim at the blank target, slowly squeeze the trigger until the cylinder turns and locks up and then release pressure on the trigger without dropping the hammer all while keeping the front and rear sights aligned..

Doing that 2-3 minutes at a time 3-4 times a day will build up trigger finger strength and ingrain good DA manipulation technique.

After that is mastered do the same with the final smooth break.

Can't remember the color but one can use the plastic wallboard screw inserts as snap caps...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by deflave

[Linked Image]

Picked up a trainer today.

Local guy bought it for his daughter. She put a few rounds thru it and didn't like it. Saved me probably 15% off a new one.

Will shoot a couple bricks thru this and then see where we need to go. Ma really needs to spend some time getting her DAO mechanics figured out. It may take some time...

That's the way to roll. If you can get them out there shooting, there is no substitute for it and there is nothing easier to shoot than a 22

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM

Can't remember the color but one can use the plastic wallboard screw inserts as snap caps...

Got em already, #4-#6 x 7/8 Yellow.

Originally Posted by Steelhead

That's the way to roll. If you can get them out there shooting, there is no substitute for it and there is nothing easier to shoot than a 22

She'll get better. She gets nervous when there's people watching or somebody's bangin away 2 lanes over with a magnum. Gonna start with shooting dots on the wall..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Deerwhacker444 - "one can use the plastic wallboard screw inserts as snap caps... ". Dam' good idea...wonder why I didn't think of it...LOL? TKS Homesteaader

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've now run a couple of hundred rounds through the Taurus 9mm kurz (.380 auto) J-frame clone and have to say that it's well worth considering one of these for those who are recoil sensitive. .380 auto packs a lot more wallop than a .22, is accurate, and inspires more confidence than the rimfires.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (AlanF, 300_savage, 35, AceBall, Amos63, 10 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,329
Posts18,505,914
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.