Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Last December I had a couple of custom rifles stolen from my truck on a hunting trip. I was fairly happy with them but they were my first custom rifles so I didn't really have anything to compare them to. ]They both shot better than I thought I could and were a BIG improvement over the factory rifles I had shot in the past.

Fast forward to February and it was time to build one maybe 2 rifles since the insurance company had come thru with a check . I decided this time I wanted a gunsmith I could spend more time talking to about what I actually wanted instead of what he thought was best. So I spent time on here talking to people and had almost made up my mind when I met Robert who is the gunsmith at Alamo precision rifles in Hurst, Texas. Robert invited me out to his shop and showed me all the different equipment he uses. 2 different lathes, cnc machine, etc. Was impressed with the little details at his shop.From how it was laid out to the 1000's of dollars of equipment they had invested in. I decided then to give them a shot. I bet I asked him 100 questions over the next month and I'm sure I aggravated him. He was nothing but patient though.

I decided on a 260 AI. Went with a stiller predator action, Manners MCS_T stock with mini chassis, bartlein 1/8 twist sendero contour barrel with spiral flutes finished at 25in, jewell trigger and threaded for a suppressor. About 5 weeks later I got the "its ready" call. When I went to pick it up I was amazed at the worksmanship and how the rifle was balanced. It blew my other 2 rifles out of the water. The attention to detail was amazing. I took it home and worked up a load. Lapua brass, H4831sc, federal 210 primers and berger 140VLD's. Rifle shot in the .3's and I was hooked on shooting like never before. I honestly didn't think I was capable of shooting that well with any rifle. Here it is...
[Linked Image]

During the time this rifle was being built I started talking to Robert about a long range .30 cal rifle. It was not going to be a hunting rifle but a dedicated range rifle. After some discussion we decided to go with the good old standard .300 win mag. Since I wanted something different Robert suggested the KRG whiskey 3 chassis. I was a little leery about this as I had played with a couple of other chassis systems and didn't care for them too much. But in the long run I decided to take his advise and go for it. Choose a Big Horn T2 action (Do yourself a favor and try one) kreiger 1/8 twist MTU contour barrel finished at 28in and threaded 5/8-24 for a silencerco Omega suppressor, jewell trigger and topped it with a nightforce 2-25x56 ATACR scope. Had their cerakote guy grey shoot it in a black and blue digital camo. Once again they hit it out of the park. Rifle looks pretty cool and shoots lights out. I have not had time to shoot it past 600 yards but it is shooting in the low 2's at that range. And I am not the best shooter in the world by any means. Here it is..
[Linked Image]

Last but not least I wanted a straight up hunting rifle with a heavy enough barrel to not heat up to fast but light enough to carry around a little. I decided to go with a 280AI. Figured it was enough for elk and not overkill for the smaller south texas deer in the hill country of texas. Choose a Remington 700 trued action, Mcmillan Hunter stock in a flame pattern. White to light grey to dark grey to black. Bartlein #3 contour 1/8 twist, factory BDL bottom metal, timney trigger and went with a bead blasted flame pattern on the barrel and Swarovski z3 4-12x50 with a outdoorsman custom turret. I will be honest when I tell ya this is the rifle I was least excited about. Wasn't sure about the color scheme and didn't really think it would perform to the level of the other 2 rifles. BOY WAS I WRONG! This is rapidly becoming my favorite rifle. The color scheme turned out great and it shoots really good. Perfectly balanced and handles like a dream. Here it is...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Guess I wrote all this up to say a big thanks to the guys at Alamo precision. And man what a difference a it makes when you have a gunsmith who will listen to what you want, give a little advise and exchange ideas with you.

Thanks to everyone who made it thru this long post hope you enjoyed it. Happy shooting

Last edited by caddokiller; 11/05/15.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I really like the color scheme on that bottom one. Bipod needs to be white to complete the look though. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice rifles I really like the 260 and 280 AI hunting guns in particular.

Gerry.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (1234, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 21, 65 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,414
Posts18,470,481
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.