Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ziggy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
How much snow does it take to move them out of the high country?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Was hunting out of Grangeville Idaho once for whitetail, before the wolves killed them all, and one set of elk tracks crossed the road from the wilderness in over 4' of snow. Thought that was one tough bastid right there.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

A lot more than this...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Ziggy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I think just hunting in 4 feet of snow takes one tough bastid.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Six inches for three days. The calves can't paw the snow, and so, they whine until the lead cow points them to winter range. At least, that's what the guides at Three Forks told me.

IC B2

Ziggy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Makes sense to me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ziggy
How much snow does it take to move them out of the high country?

It is way more complicated than just snow depth and depends on the area.
They need cover, pasture or browse, and water.
They will stay put in deep snow and strip the aspens trunks bare if they have access to the other 2 elements and if the herd cow decides to stand pat.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Thumped this one a few weeks ago at 11,650' on opening day and received the sunburn of a lifetime. Three days later snow came and zero elk were seen.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
2 years ago, we got about 6" of snow the last week of the season and they moved. We caught a herd way down low and got 2 where we could drive the pickup under 1/4 mile through the sagebrush and load them.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My experience is that it does not take much to move them some at least. Add to that, some hunting pressure and they bail for the low private land.

I think the big bulls will hold tighter, later.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Wind.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
conditions for moving the elk down around here are lining up over the next couple of days. We've had a few inches of snow, that's going to melt down some and it's going to freeze good and hard here the next couple of nights. That'll make grazing difficult at the higher elevations and will likely move elk down. Most likely they'll find some really difficult spots to move into.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Snow will move elk but so will sunshine - back up the mountain. In our area in NM, south facing slopes will melt a lot sooner and become a magnet for elk. While the snow piles up on sunless slopes and under tree cover, they will take advantage of southern slopes for grass and warmth.
Your experience may be different.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 11/06/15.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I seen Big bulls down on ranch land a week ago, before any snow..... They seem to have moved the same time every year for the last five. Off the forest land and down to the ranch land a few days prior to the rifle season...... This is a General area with quite a bit of pressure, but seems they move more from pressure then weather.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think elk have adapted to big game openers by the amount of daylight and darkness. Or the frequency of slamming truck doors, horses and loud talking. grin

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
All I know is it is dang depressing to drive past bulls after a long day of seeing nothing, they seemed content to stay there til spring, feeding in the open at 4 in the afternoon........

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
conditions for moving the elk down around here are lining up over the next couple of days. We've had a few inches of snow, that's going to melt down some and it's going to freeze good and hard here the next couple of nights. That'll make grazing difficult at the higher elevations and will likely move elk down. Most likely they'll find some really difficult spots to move into.

I was in your neck of the woods the third week of September on a mulie hunt and we took two real nice bucks with Salt River Range Outfitters. The elk were way up high and not moving or bugling much due to the unseasonably hot weather. That's some gorgeous country you live in!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I think elk have adapted to big game openers by the amount of daylight and darkness. Or the frequency of slamming truck doors, horses and loud talking. grin

Ding ding ding ding ding ding! We have a winner!

LOL
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Now days it is more about hunting pressure than the amount of snow. I don't do late hunts anymore, but I have killed a considerable amount of elk in deep snow. They don't seem to be bothered all that much by it as long as they can paw thru it or reach southern exposures.

These elk were part of 300+ that were on the valley floor north of Gunnison, CO in the early days of the 2nd rifle season this year. From other reports it seems they had been there since early 1st rifle season. BTW. Those are cows in the background. Don't let anyone tell you elk won't frequent the same areas as cows

[Linked Image].

However, there are always stupid ones that don't get the message. These three elk were killed within about 100yards of each other at about 10,000ft elevation a little north of that . The two bulls were this year and last year and the small cow a few years ago when the snow was about a foot deep.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In the top photo, the snow as about 3 foot deep. Our boots were in it as we were riding. We killed three elk in about 5 minutes.

[Linked Image]

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That does not look like fun. smile

LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (22250rem, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,398
Posts18,488,906
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.