Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
blgoode Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just looking for what those with more experience than myself prefer for a 22" featherweight stock if not using factory one. Calibre is .243 if that has any significance.

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Definitely the Mcmillan hunters compact... Standard or edge fill. Probably go edge fill on the 243...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
blgoode Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You ever used a Sako Hunter style in edge fill?
I do think I'd like a different stick design than my Sako Hunter style I have on my 30-06. I will scope it before worrying about stock upgrade.

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I can't use the sako type stock...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
blgoode Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gotcha. I've liked the ergos of mine but would like to have a slimmer grip and faster handling one on the 243.

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Try one like this. I think you will like it:

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
yep, Mcm winny compact, we've got 4 such rigs at our house, a great setup.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Hill Country's "Bridges" McMillan Edge. My primary white tail rifle, a 280 Featherweight is so stocked.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
blgoode Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the push. I'll get it scoped up and stocked after that. To get the 13" LOP I may get the saw to the factory wood stock if it bugs me like most 13.5" ones do. The lighter weight may make a difference in the feel and it not big me too bad.

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I am not a huge fan of the compact stock, it just does not feel "right" in use. Not bad, but awkward enough that I sold a good pre 64 fwt because of it.
Currently I have a mcmillan fwt stock (my third fwt stock) and like it a lot, though it would be nice with the edge construction and checkering of a new one. That is not going to happen with our dollar and import hassles though!
Forearm could be a bit more substantial but I can live with it easily enough. I had a Brown for quite a while and wish I had it back, it fit me pretty well.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Im limited in real life exp but the Borden? Pacific/Rimrock is my favorite as of now!!! Its raining here and cooling off, I can feel the deer are going to move this evening so thats whats going hunting today! very best WinPoor

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have a couple of questions on McMillan stocks. Never had the pleasure of holding one and no very little about them. What is the difference between compact vs featherweight. I can't see the specs on their website that show the weight. How about the monte Carlo stocks? Looks like a better fit with a scope but don't seem to popular on the fire. Just trying to gain a little knowledge for a future featherweight. Thanks Ricky

blgoode Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The edge fill will be lighter than standard fill. You can get the Monte Carlo stock in the lighter edge fill. It has a fater grip with a palm swell. Meaning it fills your palm on the right side (for right hand grip). I like mine for the heavier 24" sporter 30-06 I have.

With the featherweight I'm looking for a little more smaller grip area. I'm pretty sure I'm going to either chop 1/2" off my wood stock it came with or replace the 1" recoil pad with a thinner one if I can find one. That may keep me happy for a while smile

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Thanks blgoode for the info. I personally don't like a fatter palm swell. I like a thinner grip area. Just out of curiosity would you not be money ahead to buy an aftermarket stock to chop. These featherweight stocks are bringing good money in original shape. I'm sure you have thought of this already. Rick

blgoode Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just putting utility needs before $. When I scope it I'll know if that extra 1/2" needs to come off or be a stock switch. Id rather not chop it but I can see me loving the stock if 1/2" shorter. May replace the recoil pad with a thinner one for a non permanent fix.

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am partial to this one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
blgoode Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Oh that is a beauty!!! Wow

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
DdM what do you have their. Very nice looking stock can you tell us a little more about it. Looks like a super grade but nothing like a super grade I have. Ricky

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rickyb
I have a couple of questions on McMillan stocks. Never had the pleasure of holding one and no very little about them. What is the difference between compact vs featherweight. I can't see the specs on their website that show the weight. How about the monte Carlo stocks? Looks like a better fit with a scope but don't seem to popular on the fire. Just trying to gain a little knowledge for a future featherweight. Thanks Ricky

The FW stock has a shnable (sp) for end,a higher,thicker comb,and very slightly thicker grip. The Compact is slimmer over all,and through the grip. It has more drop through the comb.

At first I thought this would be a handicap but in fast shooting at bucks on the move it proved no handicap in real life.Ditto on one at 300 yards. I don't worry about it any more.

I guess if I wanted to stock a 243 FW I'd get a Brown Precision PoundR. Just got another one for a 270 FW and love it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EdM
I am partial to this one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ed you don't need that any more. You got the Kimber now. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

331 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 37 invisible), 2,133 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,156
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.